Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Another convert!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Life at Sea Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kristian95
Boatswain

4687 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:37 pm    Post subject: Another convert!! Reply with quote

I've finally tried a war canoe for a longer period of time.... and I must admit I love the agility of this vessel!!! I just hope I get all the fencing related items before I grow too old Smile Oh well, already have the full armor upgrade and I've not even played a year.... love those gov's daughters Smile
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's it. There's no going back now! You do NOT need cannons, use the whole 20 tons cargo space for food. Learn to close in on an angle and board. There is nothing like the excitement of ship-to-ship combat with a war canoe. And the ability it has to fly around the map is unequalled. Welcome to the club!!!!
Salty Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
TheDon
Rigger

16718 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wholeheartedly agree. The canoe is the bomb. Although I like the frigates and still keep cannon around for when I want to blow somebody out of the water. Too bad you cannot designate ships with cannons and ships without.

thedon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Kristian95
Boatswain

4687 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheDon wrote:
I wholeheartedly agree. The canoe is the bomb. Although I like the frigates and still keep cannon around for when I want to blow somebody out of the water. Too bad you cannot designate ships with cannons and ships without.

thedon

yes, I would like to be able to tell the comp to keep all my guns on my royal sloop Razz
Strange
Swabbie

2194 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll never convert to the Dark Side!, oops I mean War Canoe Laughing
I'll stick with my Mail Runner or Royal Sloop. Smile
Kristian95
Boatswain

4687 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still love a completely outfitted Royal Sloop Smile
Actually it's fun trying different games with different ships.... having to develop different tactics all the time Very Happy
DrBeast
Cutthroat

5316 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kristian95 wrote:
Actually it's fun trying different games with different ships.... having to develop different tactics all the time Very Happy

You know, I used to ride a royal sloop too before getting ensnared by the war canoe, and all in all it's a great vessel. What really drove me nuts about it though is that it just CAN'T turn into the wind! That was (yet!) another winner for the war canoe, you just don't give a rat's butt about wind direction, you can defiantly turn into the wind and sail on (at about 4 knots at adventurer level at least).
notyouravgjoe
Powder Monkey

7 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I am after money I always take the war canoe. If you have all your fencing items it just makes sense to capture all those treasure galleons using your canoe.
rupertlittlebear
Helmsman

10381 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrBeast wrote:
Kristian95 wrote:

You know, I used to ride a royal sloop too before getting ensnared by the war canoe, and all in all it's a great vessel. What really drove me nuts about it though is that it just CAN'T turn into the wind! That was (yet!) another winner for the war canoe, you just don't give a rat's butt about wind direction, you can defiantly turn into the wind and sail on (at about 4 knots at adventurer level at least).
Try this at Swash.

What a Hoot.

You can still do almost anything where-as your opponent can get trapped by the wind.

Just love when a Treasure Galleon cannot turn into the wind while you board at your leasure.

Poor Raymondo . . .
DrBeast
Cutthroat

5316 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rupertlittlebear wrote:

Try this at Swash.

What a Hoot.

You can still do almost anything where-as your opponent can get trapped by the wind.

Just love when a Treasure Galleon cannot turn into the wind while you board at your leasure.

Poor Raymondo . . .

I thought as much. Must be a nightmare to steer in Swash.

Poor Raymondo indeed. And Montalban. And Treasure Galleons. And...
TheDon
Rigger

16718 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is really nice to catch one of the big galleons close to shore with the wind blowing them towards shore. They can't move or turn hardly at all and you can zip right up to them without them firing a shot. Did this to Monty once and to several Treasure Galleons.

thedon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
rupertlittlebear
Helmsman

10381 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrBeast wrote:

Well . . .
It is a bad dream at first just trying to steer your own Canoe (with Copper Plating).

You turn too darn fast.
You get used to it.
The various scenarios (mods downloads) have canoes you can try steering at swash, if only to get used to their handling.

On the other side, you can also try sailing a SotL. This thing turns like a (****), especially towards the wind.
Kristian95
Boatswain

4687 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rupertlittlebear wrote:
DrBeast wrote:

Well . . .
It is a bad dream at first just trying to steer your own Canoe (with Copper Plating).

You turn too darn fast.
You get used to it.
The various scenarios (mods downloads) have canoes you can try steering at swash, if only to get used to their handling.

On the other side, you can also try sailing a SotL. This thing turns like a (****), especially towards the wind.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing it's funny 'cause it's true Smile
DrBeast
Cutthroat

5316 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kristian95 wrote:
rupertlittlebear wrote:
DrBeast wrote:

Well . . .

You turn too darn fast.
You get used to it.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing it's funny 'cause it's true Smile

Only if the game allowed you to order your men to start pushing would that thing turn properly!
Westley_Roberts
Iron Guts

10339 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add me to the list of converts...I tried out using a canoe on my current game. Man, talk about FAST, forget trading shots, just slip up and board!!!! I got my little guy up to like 16- 17 knots barrelling down on a Galleon.

Once, and this was funny, I came in so fast and hard, they didn't even put up a fight, just gave me the Brig. along with about 15 swabbies too..

I do not know why I thought I needed all those men and cannon. Just bumrush them and duel it out..

Have an Army Day
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Life at Sea All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: