Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Blackbeard got robbed!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Irish Jim
Seaman

4424 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject: Blackbeard got robbed! Reply with quote

When I first played the new Pirates!, and went into battle against Blackbeard, I was surprised that his ship was not named "Queen Anne's Revenge." Perhaps there was a licensing issue, I thought (not likely, but there had to be a reason). Further, once I had captured his frigate, I could not rename it Queen Anne's Revenge, because there were too many characters (XBOX version). Bummer.

So then I met up with Henry Morgan, sailing the "Queen Anne's Revenge"! Whoa... so he robbed Blackbeard's ship, left him with the "Adventure Prize"? No wonder Blackbeard was so cranky when I met him!

Wink

Seriously though, how wrong is it that Blackbeard didn't get to keep his flagship? I mean, obviously we must suspend disbelief if all these famous pirates are sailing around at the same time, but shouldn't he at least have gotten to keep the QAR? And why is he permanently second fiddle to Henry Morgan? Just some questions I was pondering.
Howie
Helmsman

45890 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In real life Blackbeard scuttled his ship the Queen Ann's Revenge off the coast of South Carolina. It was rumored he did this in order to thin out his crew because I quess some were set adrift or they went down to Davy Jone's Locker... Arrrr... Twisted Evil

At any rate he made a smaller ship his flag ship (I think it was a sloop) and he named it the Adventure.

Maybe the game is trying to (but I doubt it) pattern after the fact that one of his flag ships was named Adventure. Lost

As far as Henry Morgan goes... In all reality he really wasn't a pirate but a privateer. If he was ever an actual pirate he did it for a very short period of time. So in that respect you are correct he should be behind BB. Perhaps they take into consideration his sacking of Panama as being the single greatest victory over the Spanish and thus setting him apart from all the rest.
Seaman

948 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen a few times on the PC version that not just other pirates were sailing the Queen Anne's Revenge, but measely merchants and other ships of the sort. Maybe the game got a little tired of making up random ship names Razz
Of cabbages--and kings!
Jest684
Swabbie

1670 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it kinda just nonsense that your pirate sails a sloop named Revenge when you start (atleast in 1660? I think), the same as Stede Bonnet? Undecided

I don't know about the other years really because I haven't really paid that much attention anymore. Nervous
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Howie
Helmsman

45890 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well considering Blackbeard was born on or about 1680 then how can the Queen Anns Revenge or the Revenge even have existed before 1680? Surprised Lost
Helmsman

22541 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anne was not even crowned until 1702!

Incidentally, Queen Anne's Revenge is said to have been a 40-gun frigate. That sounds like Morgan's flagship to me - maybe he stole her from Blackbeard! It sounds like Irish Jim caught him before he had a chance to change her name!
Rifleman
Swabbie

398 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"In November 1717, English pirates captured the French slave-ship La Concorde near the island of Martinique. Led by the notorious Blackbeard, the pirates converted La Concorde into their flagship and renamed the vessel Queen Anne's Revenge. After spending the winter searching for prizes in the Caribbean the pirate fleet consisting of Queen Anne's Revenge and three smaller sloops, blockaded the port of Charleston in May 1718. Continuing up the coast, Blackbeard lost his flagship while attempting to enter Beaufort Inlet, North Carolina and five months later he was killed in a bloody battle at Ocracoke. " QAR Project

Historical accuracy(what we know of it) is sacrificed to playablity. Most of these pirates only lasted a few years and hunted in very small areas. In an average game, I sail back and forth, across the Caribbean, multiple times. Morgan, I think, did it twice in his career. If I could change anything, I would tweek the time frames a bit but overall, its a great game.

I have to agree with Irish Jim, the first time I found Morgan on the QAR, I thought: What the....?

Sailor

- Sir Andrew Barton
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Pirates! Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: