Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

stupid question of the day
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Island Jack
Seaman

4699 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 2:50 pm    Post subject: stupid question of the day Reply with quote

This has probably already been addressed somewhere in the forum, but I'm going to ask anyway, and chalk it up to still being relatively new here.

When you sail past a city and lob cannonballs at the fort/town, does this actually do anything (other than maybe piss off the city enough to send a pirate hunter after you)? Meaning, does it reduce the number of troops/guards in the town or make it any easier to sack/convert?

Just wondering, and thanks in advance.

"Mr. Thirsty! Load guns with balls!"
Trazom
Powder Monkey

78 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look for the post named "Bombarding cities" under Life at sea in the Hint & Stragy section Wink
Island Jack
Seaman

4699 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 2:59 pm    Post subject: like I said... Reply with quote

Got it, thanks. I really should do a little more searching before I ask questions like these, but like I said, it was my stupid question of the day. Well, maybe the question wasn't stupid, just me.

Thanks Trazom!

"Mr. Thirsty! Load guns with balls!"
Guidon666
Cutthroat

2854 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasnt a stupid question. And sometimes you would still have difficulties in finding a specific thread.

Never hesitate to ask questions.

When in doubt - Attack!!
Trazom
Powder Monkey

78 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.....and you can allways donate to help with my drinking problem......I am out of rum Laughing
roddrip
Powder Monkey

1203 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that when you bombard the town's fortress it is a way of getting them to hate you so you have the option to attack/sneak.

Quite useful if there is a town which come from a country that likes you but you want the gold! Wink
DrBeast
Cutthroat

5316 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roddrip wrote:
I think that when you bombard the town's fortress it is a way of getting them to hate you so you have the option to attack/sneak.

Quite useful if there is a town which come from a country that likes you but you want the gold! Wink

You could always attack by land. Granted, you can't in some cities, but start attacking some other belonging to the same country and pretty soon that country will hate you enough to allow you to attack every other city they own! Cool
roddrip
Powder Monkey

1203 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrBeast wrote:
roddrip wrote:

You could always attack by land. Granted, you can't in some cities, but start attacking some other belonging to the same country and pretty soon that country will hate you enough to allow you to attack every other city they own! Cool

I have tried attacking by land but it just goes to the town screen, not the "do you want to attack/sneak" bar. So the only way (for me, at least) is by bomarding before going in.
DrBeast
Cutthroat

5316 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

roddrip wrote:
I have tried attacking by land but it just goes to the town screen, not the "do you want to attack/sneak" bar. So the only way (for me, at least) is by bomarding before going in.

Eh? What city are we talking about exactly? I've yet to encounter a city which I tried to enter by land that didn't have the "Attack" option. Only if I was seriously outnumbered. And settlements (grrr!!!).
Vulture
Gunner

606 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrBeast wrote:
roddrip wrote:

Eh? What city are we talking about exactly? I've yet to encounter a city which I tried to enter by land that didn't have the "Attack" option. Only if I was seriously outnumbered. And settlements (grrr!!!).

It would seem Rupert, that once you achieve the rank of Duke with a nation, you often have to really bombard the towns at first to get an attack option. It will just let you right in even by land without an attack option. It will not give you an attack option even after you sack the city and turn around and hit it again by land until you have hit them several times and sunk several vessels.

32 brightly polished cannons, a bottle o'rum, ahh..... a pirates life for me!
DrBeast
Cutthroat

5316 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vulture wrote:
DrBeast wrote:
roddrip wrote:

It would seem Rupert, that once you achieve the rank of Duke with a nation, you often have to really bombard the towns at first to get an attack option. It will just let you right in even by land without an attack option. It will not give you an attack option even after you sack the city and turn around and hit it again by land until you have hit them several times and sunk several vessels.

Nope. Even as a Duke you can attack by land.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Life at Sea All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: