Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

What is your favourite tactic ???
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Life at Sea Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What is your favourite tactic ???
Cannons rule!! (all types of shots)
7%
 7%  [ 2 ]
I love to kill their cannons! (round shot favourite)
7%
 7%  [ 2 ]
Let's demast them!! (chain shot favourite)
7%
 7%  [ 2 ]
No more enemies is good (grape shot favourite)
11%
 11%  [ 3 ]
Why bother with cannons ? (boarding fast)
30%
 30%  [ 8 ]
I do a mixture of them all!
26%
 26%  [ 7 ]
It depends on what ship I use!
7%
 7%  [ 2 ]
I'm too scared to do any ship battles :P
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 26

pigo12
Powder Monkey

85 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: What is your favourite tactic ??? Reply with quote

always board as soon as possible.
headrock
Rigger

354 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like I'm the only person here who voted for "depends on what ship type I'm using". What gives, people? Have you all become stuck in the rut of one ship and one ship alone? You do realize that different ships are good for different things, right? What happened to playing the game differently every time?

(Said the man with the SOTL-shaped-head).

Kristian95
Boatswain

4687 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, the diversity of the game comes in alot of shapes, the different strengths of the various ships is one of them Smile
DrBeast
Cutthroat

5316 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I like diversity! All the SoTLs I've commandeered with my war canoe had different names! Razz
Airsaw_

0 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diversity-wise, I'm playing each nationality at each starting era. I still have quite a few to go. I was going for varying the level of play, go from rogue to swash, which woulda doubled the possibilities, but swash has a few problems of its own
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:54 pm    Post subject: The Pirated Creed Reply with quote

Close up and board...
Then use the sword!

Steal their gold..
then leave them cold

Dark and dank....
They walk the plank

Sneak up from behind...
and steal them blind!

When they sail the Spanish Main....
they feel the Pirates Pain!!

Salty Cool Very Happy Cool Shocked Cool
littlebktruck
Powder Monkey

388 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to fire broadsides from long range then move out of the way when they fire. This is a good, though time consuming, tactic for taking on Montalban and Reymando. I suffer little to no damage each time.

I have yet to get my hands on a war canoe, though (tried once, but it ran and I couldn't trap it). I'm a little wary about having so few men on hand, though (I like to take cities).
Kristian95
Boatswain

4687 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

littlebktruck wrote:
I like to fire broadsides from long range then move out of the way when they fire. This is a good, though time consuming, tactic for taking on Montalban and Reymando. I suffer little to no damage each time.

I have yet to get my hands on a war canoe, though (tried once, but it ran and I couldn't trap it). I'm a little wary about having so few men on hand, though (I like to take cities).

Try making sure that you're in a setting were the wind will blow the war canoe toward shore, that should help in capturing them. Btw, there is no sword fight when you board a canoe Smile
Also, with hammocks you can have 75 men in one canoe, so with 3 of those you can easily take on most cities Smile
littlebktruck
Powder Monkey

388 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got one last night. I told a chief to attack a city then immediately attacked one of his canoes. I had it pinned to the coast and ran to board it, but my ship split it into pieces! I couldn't get the other one, so I waited a few more months and did the same thing. This time, I hit it with chain shot and it surrendered.

I've had mixed success with it. It's really nimble and quick but I tend to take some hits when I get really close to the target ship; it can't take many, and I find myself having to go back to port too often. That said, though, it's a really nice ship to use for everyday capturing (when you don't want to risk damaging your best ship, which, for me, is a royal sloop). I can see why everyone loves it; with some tactical work I could see using one full time.
Juanito el Doce
Powder Monkey

15 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer using my war canoe to board quickly and then sell the prize in the next port. With enough fencing skills you can successfully board anything with a 40 men war canoe (although the larger ships will slow you down significantly if you don't have enough people to crew them properly - but it's only to to the next port anyway).
Grimmelshausen
Cutthroat

1811 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually I open up with a sold shot broadside, to knock out some guns and slow them down a bit, following are one or two chain shot salvoes to get them still slower and finally a couple of grapeshot into bow or stern before boarding. Pirate hunters I mostly dismast and sail away.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Life at Sea All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: