Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

The legendary "Monkey Island" games
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Other Games Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
headrock
Rigger

354 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:40 am    Post subject: Re: The legendary "Monkey Island" games Reply with quote

Kristian95 wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Well, I'll stick to LeChuck then Wink Razz Especially if I'll exploit the food bug Razz

Heh you read that post, didn't ya? Smile

PrinceScamp
Gunner

213 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ny favrite things about gameboys: they are portable, small, many games,good games, (and bad), ALL OLDER VERSION GAMES WORK ON THE NEW GAMEBOYS!
320.9 SCAMP'S STOP
Kristian95
Boatswain

4687 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: The legendary "Monkey Island" games Reply with quote

headrock wrote:
Kristian95 wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Well, I'll stick to LeChuck then Wink Razz Especially if I'll exploit the food bug Razz

Heh you read that post, didn't ya? Smile

Hehehehe what makes you think that Wink Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Cool
Nukenin
Swabbie

1497 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

headrock wrote:
[...]If you want to run an old DOS game and neither method is good for you, go search for DOSBOX. It's a bit less user-friendly, but is also a good option for some of the more esoteric stuff, like Star Control 2 (Ummm.. since when is Starcon2 Esoteric?)

Hope this helps.

DOSBox is available from http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/.

As for Star Control 2, another option is to visit the Ur-Quan Masters project. Toys for Bob, the original developers of SC2, released partially ported source for the 3DO version of Star Control 2 to the fan community, and the Ur-Quan Masters project (the name "Star Control" is the only part of the property that Toys for Bob did not own, thus it cannot be used for the project) is basically a straight port of the 3DO version as an initial target (and its mostly there now, all that is missing are intro/endgame cinematics really) and eventually merging elements from the PC version (such as nameable savegames). So not only can you revisit the game once known as Star Control 2, but you can do it without worry of any legal complications. Smile

(Though if you still have your original SC2 disks, you can always just go the DOSBox route... Smile )
JayJester
Powder Monkey

157 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dear God that was a sweet game. I totally loved the characters and humor. The puzzles were pretty dang hard, so I cheated my way through them, I just wanted to see the game, not pull my hair over stupid puzzles.
Nukenin
Swabbie

1497 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked the digs LucasArts' programmers took at Sierra (esp. the King's Quest series). I seem to recall at one point (and honestly, don't remember if this was Monkey Island 1 or 2) Guybrush going off a cliff, and the game bringing up a "You have died. Restart/Restore?" dialog window similarly to the very death-laden Sierra games. Then after a bit, the game says "Just Kidding! You don't die in OUR games!" or the like, and you see Guybrush fall back up the cliff in reverse motion.

I really enjoyed the LucasArts adventures--alas, with the cancellation of Full Throttle II and Sam & Max II, their day may have come and gone.

Day of the Tentacle was the first adventure game I bought (on CD no less!) that had every line of dialogue voiced, and voiced well.
headrock
Rigger

354 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nukenin wrote:
I seem to recall at one point Guybrush going off a cliff, and the game bringing up a "You have died. Restart/Restore?" dialog window similarly to the very death-laden Sierra games. Then after a bit, the game says "Just Kidding! You don't die in OUR games!" or the like, and you see Guybrush fall back up the cliff in reverse motion.

Actually, Guybrush flies back upwards and then says:
"Rubber Tree."

Very Happy

Kristian95
Boatswain

4687 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sound track in those games is awesome too!! I actually listen to it once in a while, just because I love it Smile
Butcher
Swabbie

335 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently purchased Escape from Monkey Island and Curse of Monkey Island, now I have all 4.

In Zak McKracken if you put the fishbowl on your head, seal it with tape and then go underwater you will die.
Now I know what you're thinking: "Why would you do something like that anyway?"

Well I was only 10 years old and didn't know any better.

Edit: My friend told me you don't even need to be underwater for that. makes sense Oops
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
KingWilly
Rigger

9821 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Butcher wrote:
I recently purchased Escape from Monkey Island and Curse of Monkey Island, now I have all 4.

In Zak McKracken if you put the fishbowl on your head, seal it with tape and then go underwater you will die.

Also, IIRC if you put toilet paper in the bathroom sink on an airplane, it makes an awful mess and requires the flight attendant to clean up the mess (giving you time to do other naughty things. Wink

Haven't had the pleasure of playing MI 4. Hopefully will get around to it someday. Love the other games in the series.

AKA. Will Scarlett.
Kristian95
Boatswain

4687 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have MI4 somewhere on my shelves.... alas I remember I got stuck in it, so I've actually never been able to complete it.... I prefer the graphics of MI3 much more though Razz
gxcn
Powder Monkey

313 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Butcher wrote:
Well I was only 10 years old and didn't know any better.
Edit: My friend told me you don't even need to be underwater for that. makes sense Oops

Guybrush can hold his breath for ten minutes Wink . I remember, after having stolen the "Idol of many handds" (I think), and being thrown in the water by what'shisname? (I don't remember his name, well, no matter, it's Lechuck disguised), I wanted to wait for ten minutes to see Guybrush die (his face became red, then purple, and blue).

But i can't remember if he really dies or if there's a scene like the "rubber tree" ? Question

The bad thing was the eight 5 1/4 disks for The Secret of Monkey Island
(and the six 5 1/4 for Indy and the Last Crusade) Evil or Very Mad

I bought a hard drive after that...
gxcn
Powder Monkey

313 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 5:37 pm    Post subject: I died in Monkey Island ! Reply with quote

I died !

I lanched DosBox...
CD \MONKEY <Enter>
MONKEY <Enter>

After about 10 minutes...

in english, the verbs are "Float", "Sink", "Putrefy"... Laughing

I didn't remember "look at hint book" Laughing

And... Ah... Elaine... Oops

I love this game !
Kristian95
Boatswain

4687 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

!!! Great screen shots!! Makes me want to install DosBox just to fire up some of those oldies!!! Very Happy I love that game so much!! The little things, like finding a physical "Red Herring" Very Happy The guys making those games have a whacky, and thus great! sense of humor Very HappyVery HappyVery HappyVery HappyVery Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Other Games All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: