Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Treasure Galleons easily sinkable?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Life at Sea Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cussler
Cutthroat

2686 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:41 pm    Post subject: Treasure Galleons easily sinkable? Reply with quote

Has anyone else encountered this problem? Or is it even a problem? Is it a design feature forcing players to board Treasure Galleons to beat them rather than hammer them into surrender?

Basically, in a Large Frigate, 3 broadsides sends the Galleon to the bottom! Three broadsides won't sink an Indian War Canoe, but it sends the largest ships in the Caribbean down to Davy Jones' Locker!

But even more than that, I can do that in a Sloop! Not in three broadsides, but pretty much once I hammer the Galleon down to about 20 cannons and 160 men, or so, the next shot has the masts tumbling and the ship capsizing and sinking.

Sorry if this has been brought up already. I'm new here. Just started playing last Wednesday. I used the search feature, but it really didn't help any.
Striker
Gunner

680 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem that you have is you are using solid shot. That will sink a ship every time. What you need is to use chain shot and grape shot. Chain shot will take down the masts forcing the ship to surrender.
rupertlittlebear
Helmsman

10381 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:03 am    Post subject: Re: Treasure Galleons easily sinkable? Reply with quote

Cussler wrote:
Basically, in a Large Frigate, 3 broadsides sends the Galleon to the bottom! Three broadsides won't sink an Indian War Canoe, but it sends the largest ships in the Caribbean down to Davy Jones' Locker!
3 broads of solid shot?

Should only take 2, or even 1.

Round shot is designed to damage hulls, Large Frigate has lots of guns.
Cussler
Cutthroat

2686 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of you are surprised it lasts three broadsides? Shocked

So I guess it's not a bug.

Still, it just seems like it sinks rather easily. It's the largest ship in the game. I haven't encountered this with any other vessel. I can hammer any other Galleon with more hits and it won't sink so fast. But yeah, I've learned from my experiences. Now I only give it one broadside with solid shot, and then go in with chain shot.

But I would like to be able to knock the number of cannon it has down more before I go in if I'm using a Sloop. It's just a preference, and not really important.
fossaman
Gunner

3515 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's not much point in using round shot on anything with that many guns and crew; demast it and it will surrender, or you can just come in from the stern or bow to avoid the cannon. Besides, if you have both copper plating and cotton sails on that sloop of yours, you should be able to avoid almost all of the broadside by turning as soon as they fire.

Like my fossa? He's a pirate! Razz
Mycroft Stanyer
Seaman

2709 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I come to believe that the size variants within each ship class are not scaled up in hull strength. The ability to absorb hits may come by ship class itself: the small, medium, and large versions are different only in physical size, cargo/crew capacity, and available gun ports.

Which means a Treasure Galleon is as much a rickety cracker-box of a ship as a Trade Galleon, and I put Trades down on the bottom with as little as two broadsides.

And the Treasure Galleon is physically larger, making the likelihood it will catch the full throwweight of your broadside even greater.
Cussler
Cutthroat

2686 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mycroft Stanyer wrote:
And the Treasure Galleon is physically larger, making the likelihood it will catch the full throwweight of your broadside even greater.

You're probably right. The huge mass of the TG is probably getting smacked by 18 to all 20 cannon balls in a salvo, even if the shot is spread out, and it moves so slowly that it doesn't evade any.

But that still doesn't explain why it happens when I use a Sloop. . .

I mean, it goes from a little visible damage and some holes in the sails to masts falling and the ship sinking. I need a bit more warning when to let up.

But it doesn't concern me anymore. Thanks for the feedback, guys.
fossaman
Gunner

3515 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mycroft Stanyer wrote:
I come to believe that the size variants within each ship class are not scaled up in hull strength.

That's right, Strange did some experiments which you can look at the results for, hull and sail strength are identical within each class.

Captain Squid
Seaman

4360 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has seemed to me from time to time that treasure galleons are unusually fragile, but given the evidence above that doesn't seem to be the case. It must just be that accidentally sinking one of them really gets your attention. All that lovely gold heading for the bottom...it's enough to make even a hardened pirate weep.
Bakas
Seaman

232 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just a tip, this works with any ship if you want to take her:

you can figure out when to stop shooting a ship with one easy noticible change. When the bow of the ship starts to tilt forward(meaning she is taking on water)STOP SHOOTING!!! its pretty easy to tell in a treasure galleon because that crazy pointy tip is touching the water.

WWAPD?
WWFSMD?
Cussler
Cutthroat

2686 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Squid wrote:
It has seemed to me from time to time that treasure galleons are unusually fragile, but given the evidence above that doesn't seem to be the case. It must just be that accidentally sinking one of them really gets your attention. All that lovely gold heading for the bottom...it's enough to make even a hardened pirate weep.

Hehe! I wish it was just that it seemed like it happens more often than not. I don't do this anymore, but I can remember the first three Treasure Galleons I came across in the first adventure I played, I sent them all to the bottom. I must've sent 3 or four more down later on.

Bakas wrote:
you can figure out when to stop shooting a ship with one easy noticible change. When the bow of the ship starts to tilt forward(meaning she is taking on water)STOP SHOOTING!!! its pretty easy to tell in a treasure galleon because that crazy pointy tip is touching the water.

But that was the problem. It never even got that far. The TG looked fine. It still had plenty of crew and cannons. There wasn't much visible damage in terms of smoke. The masts were still up, sails still good, with only a few holes. The ship was still level and capable of manuevering. The next thing I know, POOF! There it goes. And it was like this every time, even with my 12-gun Sloop.

Oh, well. I got meself a mighty War Canoe now! Very Happy Don't need to worry about sinking a TG now, but if an earth-shattering 2-gun broadside sends a Treasure Galleon to the bottom, Firaxis is going to hear from me!
Mycroft Stanyer
Seaman

2709 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bakas wrote:
just a tip, this works with any ship if you want to take her:

That's because: A> You've dismasted the ship; and B> You probably don't have your Object Details slider in the Options menu set up high enough Wink .

Not until I started fiddling in the Options menu did I relaize that the sail rigging and flags actually wave in the wind in this game!
littlebktruck
Powder Monkey

388 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My problem with the Treasure Galleon is that I feel that I have no choice to sink it. Those 38 guns will sink my Royal Sloop in no time if I get close, and I find it hard to get close, perhaps because my usual tactic with gun-heavy ships is to stay near the edge of round shot range, get my volley in, and run when I see them preparing for a broadside. This works great with Montalban and Reymondo (who won't sink), but for other ships it could be better.
fossaman
Gunner

3515 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It works better to sail parallel to them within range, then turn towards them when they fire. When you dodge, you will get closer. Eventually you will get close enough to close without straightening out again to dodge the next broadside.

Yellowbeard
Seaman

7885 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had to give up my TWO Treasure Galleons in my fleet... got them on my first voyage when I stated a new game... alas, my men were quite unhappy and I couldn't recruit anybody, so I had to split the plunder up!

Anyways, they do seem a bit fragile, which is why I almost always demast them instead of using solid cannonballs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Life at Sea All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: