Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Do you ever deliberately keep a "lesser" ship?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yellowbeard
Seaman

7885 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:17 pm    Post subject: Do you ever deliberately keep a "lesser" ship? Reply with quote

When you divide the plunder, does anybody ever deliberately keep a "lesser" ship like a Treasure Galleon instead of a fully-loaded Brig of War or Frigate?

I'm getting fond of my treasure-hauling Treasure Galleon, and was thinking of upping the challenge by selling off my warships and starting with my creaky (but snazy-looking) Treasure Galleon... of course it's also a lot easier to find a Brig or Frigate then Treasure Galleon.

Anybody else ditch their good warships and keep something becuase the officers cabin is snazzy?
TheDon
Rigger

16718 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope. I try to keep the best outfitted and fastest ship. With that, you can catch whatever else comes along. I think it stinks that you have to give up all but one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
duong
Powder Monkey

80 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i suppose thats what you would do if you were really bored of easy thirty second sea battles. they do get pretty boring if you have a sotl and have an almost guaranteed win every single battle.
Yellowbeard
Seaman

7885 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I was bored and I did the dirty deed tonight... I sold off my Brig of War, Frigate and Sloop of War (all fully upgraded) and kept my Treasure Gallon (upgraded too). I had been at sea for some 5 years and my crew were ready to mutiny despite mountains of gold.

The very first thing I noticed when starting my new career as a Treasure Galleon pirate was that it was taking me forever to go anywhere! What a slow ship... it moves faster when I have fast ships in my fleet!

I soon engaged a Royal Sloop, and before I could even turn to get off a volley, I had been boarded... oh well... so much the better... about 3-seconds later, I was the proud owner of a Royal Sloop, which quickly became my flagship... shortly afterwards I had a fully upgraded Brig and Frigate along with my party-boat the Treasure Galleon.

Lesson of the day?

Them Treasure Galleons may look good and be fun to party on, but they sure suck as Pirate Ships! Stick with the warships!

(Maybe next time I'll experiment with being a Merchantman Pirate)
duong
Powder Monkey

80 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

have fun with the royal sloop.
rupertlittlebear is conducting an experiment about how a ship's speed affects the entire fleet.
my favourite ship is the royal sloop but i keep a galleon behind it to haul my plunder.
Bloody William Flint
Swabbie

207 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 5:38 am    Post subject: do you ever keep a lesser ship Reply with quote

i keepthe ship they give me till i fight raymondo then take his ship for the rest of the game
rupertlittlebear
Helmsman

10381 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: do you ever keep a lesser ship Reply with quote

Bloody William Flint wrote:
i keepthe ship they give me till i fight raymondo then take his ship for the rest of the game
Dude you got stuck with a Galleon.
Yellowbeard
Seaman

7885 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
my favourite ship is the royal sloop but i keep a galleon behind it to haul my plunder.

My favorite tends to be the Frigate, at least early in a voyage when I can maintain a large and happy crew (love those broadsides)... however, late in voyages, when it's hard to keep a large enough crew happy, I tend to become a sloop pirate for efficiency.

Regardless of my favorite ship to pirate in, my fleet usually contains 1-Frigate, 1-Brig, 1-Sloop and 1-"Hauler" like a Galleon or Merchantman... I never keep more then four ships in my fleet, it's a waste of manning.

Quote:
rupertlittlebear is conducting an experiment about how a ship's speed affects the entire fleet.

After my own "mini-experiment", I have come to this solid conclusion.

Fleet speed is determined by the lead/flag ship. The only time your fleet will actually be slowed down by other ships in the fleet is the "cotton-sail" differance and/or the "damaged sails" differance.

All things being equal (undamaged cotton sails), a fleet will move at max speed, even with a mix of slow galleons and fast sloops. I had the exact same cotton-sail equiped Treasure Galleon in my fleet of fast warships, and the whole fleet moved fast... when I ditched my fast warships and started a new voyage, that same Treasure Galleon moved slow like you wouldn't believe... after I picked up a Royal Sloop, all the sudden the Treasure Galleon moved fast again!
DrBeast
Cutthroat

5316 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on what you define as "lesser" ship. Many would view a war canoe as a lesser ship with regards to a SoTL, as the SoTL is a rare ship to come by. I, however have no compunctions about selling the SoTL and keeping the war canoe! Let's face it: it's easier to find and capture a SoTL with a war canoe than to capture a war canoe with a SoTL! Razz
But that's just my (highly biased in favor of the war canoe) opinion on this matter...
Yellowbeard
Seaman

7885 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heck, I'd just like to SEE a SotL just once! Thing is, a War Canoe is a dime a dozen... I can grab one whenever I feel like it... I can never find a SotL!

I've been reading all the posts and tips on how to get a SotL... late games, ticking-off then stalking wealthy ports of British and French, etc, etc, etc... yet I still can't ever find one!

I chose to keep the Treasure Galleon over my Frigate/Royal Sloop just because it's so easy to get a Frigate or Royal Sloop, while a Treasure Galleon was more rare (though certainly not as rare as a SotL).
Cussler
Cutthroat

2686 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I can say is concentrate your plundering around the St. Kitts/Nevis area. Sail up and down. Attack both the English and French. Leave the Dutch alone in case you need a close port to repair. They also don't send out SotLs as much as the others.

I can't be postitive, but I think that's your best bet to seeing one.

Or you can wait til cyberops' mod where you can pick your ship from the beginning, or even buy ships. Very Happy
Yellowbeard
Seaman

7885 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Cussler... I've been picking on the English most of the game to try and get a SotL from them, but have had no luck... finally, I've attained Duke with France, Holland and Spain, and am nearly finished getting rank with the English (after turning on the Spanish again). I was going to start picking on the French in Haiti for awhile until I finish up my English rank, then I guess I'll go to Nevis/St Kitts area and do what you recomend... I really want a SotL!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Life at Sea All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: