Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Challenge . . . Figure this out!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rupertlittlebear
Helmsman

10381 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 6:16 pm    Post subject: Challenge . . . Figure this out! Reply with quote

Westley_Roberts wrote:
I have found that you will only travel as fast as you SLOWEST ship. If your Flag seems to get too far ahead of the pack, one of the slowpokes will shout 'Wait for me" and your Flag will almost come to a halt, waiting for them to catch up.

The Challenge is to positively determine how fleet speed works.

1) Do you travel as fast as your slowest ship?

2) Is your fleet speed influenced by your Flag-Ship!

3) Something Else?

Everybody is familiar with the "Wait for Me" syndrome.

Some have noticed that if you take a War Canoe and a Frigate out for a stroll, the Canoe will lead the Frigate around at speeds the Frigate will never attain by itself.

The Challenge is to nail this one down.

Have fun, and be careful with your experiments.

P.S. Suggest that you try this at Rogue or Swashbuckler level at least. There are strange things happening at the lower levels. However, if you can show that your conclusions are still valid at Swash, you have done a much better experiment.
Westley_Roberts
Iron Guts

10339 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems my post induced an experiment, and while I'd personally like to test it out, I do not have the time nor the resources to do a fact finding mission. So, please, someone, anyone, with the guts and skill, and knowledge, please take up the FLAG and run with this..

We'll all thank you for your findings !!!

Have an Army Day
fossaman
Gunner

3515 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need to get Strange to come do this...

Like my fossa? He's a pirate! Razz
Mycroft Stanyer
Seaman

2709 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a lot of things going against you. The transient nature of wind speed and direction. Failure to take Frames Per Second into accurate account. And the optical illusion of speed changes that occur as the camera zooms in and out whenever your fleet has potential targets in sight.
Javi
Cutthroat

2778 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I posted in another topic:

"Apart from the "wait for me" ad, the best way to check by yourself if the slower ships of your fleet slow your flag ships is: start sailing in any direction and calculate, more or less, your speed looking the way you sail, enter in the fleet menu and abandon your slower ships, then check if your flag ships sails fasten or not."

Trying it, I´ve confirmed that the slower ship has influence in your flag ship speed
Airsaw
Rigger

3281 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rupert: Off the top of my head, pointy as it may be.

Your fleet speed is very much affected by the ships in tow. However, if you are towing a faster ship than yours, it'll never pass you. It might be a good idea to use THAT one as a flag ship till you get where you're going.

Prize ships will sail RIGHT over rocks, and if you've got weather gear and try using a hurricane for propulsion, a prize ship will FIND a way to get blasted by lightning. Damaged prize ships drag even worse.

However, sometimes a thing like differences in rigging might put a flag ship at a disadvantage in some wind conditions, but your prize ships will love it and try to scoot past you. If you choose to tow an extra ship, try to get one similar to yours. With cotton sails and a copper hull, there's no noticeable slowdown.

Another thing to consider is prize ships, or ships in tow, carry few crew. The flagship is fully-manned, the towed ship gets the remainder. If the flagship isn't fully-manned, the minimum crew is put aboard the towed vessel. Your carpenter and sailmaker will repair towed ships en route, however it's less of a fix than they do on the flagship, and it calculates as the month turns.

When towing vessels, it's best to forego what makes YOUR ship sail best, and tack according to the prize ships' preferences. Always be careful around rocks and lead ships in tow trying to avoid the rocks yourself. Don't expect the prize ship to avoid the rocks!

When you sell prize ships in ports where your repairs and upgrades are free - upgrade the ship, then sell it. You get more money that way.
Mycroft Stanyer
Seaman

2709 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The flagship will not only slow down to keep the prizes in tow, but to keep the prizes in formation. I have had a frigate followed by a group of undamaged Sloops, Cotton Sails and all, and the entire fleet crawled along like a galleon. Why? Everybody was trying to form up in a nice little chevron when the flagship turned to a beam reach. Those sloops on the outside of the chevron couldn't catch up, and those on the inside needed to slow down— it was madness trying to get the group going again.

That going, the more ships in the fleet, the slower it gets. Having one prize tag along in bare semblence of a formation is one thing. Having six consorts trying to demonstrate how pretty they can formate the flotilla is another.
rupertlittlebear
Helmsman

10381 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yellowbeard wrote:
Quote:
rupertlittlebear is conducting an experiment about how a ship's speed affects the entire fleet.

After my own "mini-experiment", I have come to this solid conclusion.

Fleet speed is determined by the lead/flag ship. The only time your fleet will actually be slowed down by other ships in the fleet is the "cotton-sail" differance and/or the "damaged sails" differance.

All things being equal (undamaged cotton sails), a fleet will move at max speed, even with a mix of slow galleons and fast sloops. I had the exact same cotton-sail equiped Treasure Galleon in my fleet of fast warships, and the whole fleet moved fast... when I ditched my fast warships and started a new voyage, that same Treasure Galleon moved slow like you wouldn't believe... after I picked up a Royal Sloop, all the sudden the Treasure Galleon moved fast again!
Very interesting.

That explains most of the observations, but there remains one . . .

"Wait for Me"

Happens even when it is not displayed when you have any ships following you. It is a known event even when you have a pure Canoe fleet. All the remaining ships have some lag.
Gun Pierson
Gunner

5053 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rupertlittlebear wrote:

"Wait for Me"

I really don't like that sentence. Practically got shivers when I saw it here in this post too. Very unreal if you have a fleet of equally upgraded canoes. That's why I proposed Cyberops to do something about the situation...if possible.
PirateOfDarkWater
Powder Monkey

1058 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: Challenge . . . Figure this out! Reply with quote

I'm kind of looking at this issue.

1) Do you travel as fast as your slowest ship?
Nope. I don't think it matters what type of ship your trailing ships are. It only matters what type of flag ship you have and the NUMBER of trailing ships. So a war canoe (flagship) and fluyt fleet is as fast as a war canoe (flagship) and pinnace fleet.

2) Is your fleet speed influenced by your Flag-Ship!
Definately. It seems this is the base factor for fleet speed. Most of the other factors will modify this speed.

3) Something Else?
I suspect there are a number of factors for fleet speed: (but some things I need to test yet)

a) The sailing points of your flagship and the direction you are sailing in. (relative to the wind direction)
b) The wind speed.
c) The number of trailing ships you have. There appears to be 3 groups. First group is just a flagship by itself this is by far the fastest. The next group is 1-4 trailing ships. And the final group is 5-7 trailing ships - this makes a significant difference also. So it doesn't seem to matter if you have 1 trailing ship or 4 your fleet appears to travel the same speed. It only makes a difference what group you fall under. (I'll have to test this some more for sure though)
d) Whether or not you have the navigator crewman and the navigator skill.
e) Whether or not your sails are reefed.
f) The amount of damage done to your flagship and trailing ships. (don't know how this factors in yet)
g) The difficulty makes a differences but only between the 'close-hauled into the eye' sailing points. You go much faster for all ships on Apprentice than on Swashbuckler between those points.
h) Cotton Sails upgrade
i) Whether or not you have the minimum number of crew.

One thing that do NOT affect fleet speed:
a) Crew Morale. A mutinous crew travels as fast as a very happy crew.

I was thinking of writing a special subjects FAQ on fleet speed. But it is turning out to be a large task. Maybe I will but probably not. We will see.
PirateOfDarkWater
Powder Monkey

1058 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried some more tests that involved a longer distance. It looks like fleet speed gets rather convoluted in large fleets. If you have one ship in your fleet you can predict the fleet speed pretty well given all the other variables. But in fleets of like 8 ships it gets difficult. Problem is the ships slow down and speed up and the fleet travels and different speeds at different times.

But I think that the number of ships in you fleet is more important than how fast they are (with the exception of the flagship). When you must make a new 'row' it slows you down more. What I mean is a new row in the formation in your fleet. you can fit two ships in a row. The speed of your flagship is important. The speed of the ships in your fleet is a factor too but not so much as those two.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Life at Sea All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: