Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Settlers of Catan
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Other Games Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crookshanks
Cutthroat

336 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 2:35 am    Post subject: Settlers of Catan Reply with quote

So I'm a pretty big fan of the board game "Settlers of Catan."
I know it's popular in Europe and gaining popularity here in the US (my husband and I hooked at least 6 people after becoming hooked ourselves). I'm wondering if there are any players out there?
We have the original, Seafarers, and Cities & Knights expansions. We tend to play the Cities & Knights expansion the most - it's my favorite, anyways - brings out the "competitive" edge of everyone at the table... Twisted Evil
If you play, what is your favorite version/expansion? What is your favorite strategy?
PrinceScamp
Gunner

213 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

never seen it nor heard of it, what is it like? got any pictures? or maybe I will just use google...
320.9 SCAMP'S STOP
face3434
Powder Monkey

51 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello

I play settlers all of the time...awesome game. I have both upgrades as wella nd we usuallyplay both at the same time, i.e. a bigger land mass, 3 islands and the upgrades within the cities...we play to 13 or 14 points. That game is so much fun, I am a total addict. Have you been to catanonline.com ? That will be awesome once they get it with teh cities/knights upgrade attached

strategies? I usually try to make 100% sure to get wheat and ore. I always look to see which resources are hardest to come by also, ie they dont have a 6 or 8 or there is only one 5 or 9 on them and try to get that too
Crookshanks
Cutthroat

336 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to take the "expanionist" strategy - ie get bricks and trees to build roads and expand quickly. This limits where other players can go. I usually try to make sure I have settlements on all the resources. Although I have seen it where people short themselves a resource (or two!!) and come through to win it. I also try to make sure I have a good mix of numbers. I've made the mistake of having a good mix of resources, but only 3 or 4 different numbers, and if those numbers don't come up- you're in a bad state of affairs! So I'd say a good number spread is important, although I have read other people's theories on game strategy for Settlers which would disagree with this.

I did download the catanonline - I'm looking forward to Cities & Knights on this - I'll probably NEVER leave the computer!! Razz
TheDon
Rigger

16718 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got Settlers for Christmas several years ago and loved it. Couldn't find anyone around here to play with much, so I played it by myself. I won every game, though. Go figure. Great strategy game. I didn't even know there were expansion packs out for it, though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Orangebeard
Cutthroat

4436 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a good family game; Plenty of oppurtunity to trade with the other players; multiple strategies; also the chance to compete against other players without destroying their previous accomplishments.

Settlers is almost like "watered-down" Civilization. You collect resources and expand your empire; some resources will be limited so you need to trade for what you don't have.

HIGH replayability in this game; The board is generated randomly each time and there is no method of play that wins every time.

This is probably my favorite board game of all time and the two expansions introduce new elements and depth. 3-6 players; 60-90 minutes per game.

There is a computer version of the game that is quite good; I don't have the exact link, but it is close to

http://zone.msn.com

There is a free trial version and a full version for $20-30 USD...
With nothing in sight to keep me warm!
PrinceScamp
Gunner

213 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i tried the trial version last night, vut this mornig it said my trial period was over and i had to register, ido nt think i'll pay 40$ canadian for the comp game, will look for the board gsne though
320.9 SCAMP'S STOP
Crookshanks
Cutthroat

336 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the board game will probably cost just as much. However, it has tremendous re-playability, as the board and number placement is different every time. Once you introduce the expansions, it further changes/increases the potential outcomes of each game played. It's a lot of fun - I highly recommend it.
PrinceScamp
Gunner

213 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, yeah, the board games is more portable i would guess, and better, as it's easier than sharing a computer which kind of defeats the purpose of group/family games...
320.9 SCAMP'S STOP
Captain Squid
Seaman

4360 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I love that game! Settlers of Cataan is the board game of choice in my family. Whether we play Seafarers or Cities and Knights generally depends on how much time we have, since C&K seems to take a little longer. And I agree, it has a tremendous amount of replayability.

I have tried starting positions where I am short on one starting resource, counting on being able to expand to the resources I need. But it can be risky; if you get off to a slow start then the other players can cut you off from the resource.
Buckaneer Rogers
Swabbie

474 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lived in Germany, and my brother introduced my to Siedlers von Cataan. In any language it is a fun game.
Crookshanks
Cutthroat

336 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's probably my favorite boardgame. The Cities & Knights expansion adds a whole other level of intensity and strategy! Twisted Evil
The Dread Ras Tafari
Powder Monkey

269 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the game for Christmas a couple of years ago, but since it seems like you need more than 2 ppl to play and I have never really found more than one other person who was wiling to give it a shot, I never really took the time to learn how to play it....

Still have it though, so maybe I will give it a look after reading so much enthusiasm here!
Corsair Teabag
Swabbie

1069 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me tell ya something. Corsair Teabag is one of the BIGGEST fans of strategic warfare boardgames. I have a plethora of them...but have NEVER gotten into Settlers of Catan. There seem to be so many expansions and stuff...i don't know where to start.
Crookshanks
Cutthroat

336 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corsair Teabag wrote:
but have NEVER gotten into Settlers of Catan. There seem to be so many expansions and stuff...i don't know where to start.

Have you played the basic game? That would be a good place to start. Get good at that and figure out your basic strategy. Then I would suggest the Seafarers expansion. I personally don't think that expansion adds a whole lot, but it does introduce some concepts that when you get to Cities and Knights, it would be good to know. But your strategy doesn't necessarily have to change with Seafarers. You can win without doing anything different than you would in the basic game. Citites and Knights ties in concepts from the basic game and Seafarers, but then also introduces some new concepts and gives more depth to the game. Your strategy has to be completely different or you will get eaten alive. All of these games start as 4 player games, but do have 5-6 player expansions as well - even that element adds another layer of complexity. But it's a really good time, give it a try!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Other Games All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: