Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

deleted
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Airsaw
Rigger

3281 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:48 pm    Post subject: deleted Reply with quote

Last edited by Airsaw on Mon May 23, 2005 12:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Grimmelshausen
Cutthroat

1811 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very wel done, great shots. And she´s a real beauty of a ship, too. Nice flag, by the way, on the pictures on page 6, what is it?
Airsaw
Rigger

3281 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grimmelshausen wrote:
...flag, by the way, on the pictures on page 6, what is it?

It's in one of the flagpacks on the download section of this site. I'll check to figure out specifically which one, but that'll take a bit of time. Thanks. Cool
Rigger

16718 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent talespinnin', Airsaw. I kept a War Galleon taken from Gaymondo as my ship for an entire game. Most enjoyable ship to captain, I must say. I only gave it up because I had the chance to move into a brand new Ship of the Line. Having heard such legends and grand tales about them, I couldn't resist. Funny thing is I didn't acquire it until reaching 50 years old. I guess good things come to you late in life, eh? Now I have 3 of the suckers and they don't seem as wonderful as they used to. Must be something like Coors beer. It was the best beer in the world when you had to cross the Mississippi to get one. Now it's just another beer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Cussler
Cutthroat

2686 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The enjoyable thing was, it LOOKS like a pirate ship!"

Truer words were never spoken. Very Happy
Wolfwood
Boatswain

33917 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff, Airsaw! Smile

On a completely unrelated vein: If one ever needed a reason to dispise MS, here's one. Using their WWW design software one makes pages that can only be viewed properly with the MS browser:

It is much better to be armed with a sword that has two edges than with an estoc [...], which is nothing more than a stick with a point. (Rapier Master G. Morsicato Pallavicini, La Scherma Illustrata, p. 14.)
Capt Peter Blackthorne
Cutthroat

1827 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent journal of piracy, Airsaw! A tip of my cavalier hat to you.

I noticed that you had two more in your crew when you finally reached that military payroll barque. Just what's going on below decks on that flag galleon of yours, hmmm?

Wink
Airsaw
Rigger

3281 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolfwood wrote:
Great stuff, Airsaw! Smile

On a completely unrelated vein: If one ever needed a reason to dispise MS, here's one. Using their WWW design software one makes pages that can only be viewed properly with the MS browser:

Yah know, I've used Windows the entire time it was in development. I've used every version of Word they created, up to 2000 which I use now and I figure is good enough. The earlier operating system which was replaced by the infamous Win95 was a good operating system, and I enjoyed using it. Though, I had used DOS and Atari Basic for so long I was kinda sad to see them go, as far as why I use computers.

I've never villified Bill Gates, except for humor's sake where everyone is a target. I categorized him as a (post) modern-day Vanderbilt, J.P. Morgan, Carnegie and the like. He was sitting on billions more than he could ever spend in several lifetimes and had not one thought about donating to some worthy cause. That's what disappointed me about him.

The thing with Internet Explorer is that it was developed around a concept of integrating your desktop with the web. You boot, you're online. So, it was conceived as a GUI within a GUI with realtime, www interaction. Internet Explorer 5 was the notorious upgrade, since it got all into your kernels and dlls. It was like a transmogrophication of your operating system to "integrate" applications and the browser. Unfortunately, this led to the creation of a source code that is "vulnerable". Maybe it is in the way stage coaches were vulnerable to attack on the trail. Maybe the hackers just picked IE out to focus on. They aren't the most brilliant people.

As far as this page, I did do it in Publisher and didn't bother to take that out of the page code. However, I have Publisher defaulted to "web page preview" in Mozilla Firefox. I don't see it in IE until I've "saved as web page" and opened the .html file. So, why the tables are so displaced in some browsers is a puzzle to me. Maybe it has to do with screen resolution.

I'll tell you something else, I've coded since 1996, and seen what changes ocurred up to cascading style sheets and the advanced/simplified, or "cleaner" code used today. The only justifications I've heard for using this as a standard are modem speed and processor speed driven arguments. I was managing a 50m website using a Ma Bell hook-up that averaged 39.2kbs and that was pretty good as long as who was up/downloading were using an ISP that delivered that kind of "speed". The 54 whatever kbs modems were a web-joke since servers operating at that speed were few and far between.

I understand all this. Still, I'm not a web developer. I'm a guy who masters another skill, who happens to want to put information on the web in an attractive and interesting way without having to pay someone to do it for me, which shouldn't be neccessary, or without having to spend the equivilent of a quarter in school learning it. Publisher works well for me. The only hang is the browsers. For me, that argument is like the groundskeepers' arguments over the fertilizer for the infield
as I'm rounding third and heading home.

So, I appreciate the observation. But, tech-weenies must have some sort of idea they've kinda gotten caught up in their own world and forgotten about us lowly "users" out here. Rolling Eyes
Powder Monkey

388 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good choice of ship. They're a little slow for my tastes, but for my money there's not a more attractive ship in the game than a military class galleon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Life at Sea All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: