Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Map Bug?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Orienteering Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Dread Ras Tafari
Powder Monkey

269 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 3:28 pm    Post subject: Map Bug? Reply with quote

Hi all, I'm a n00b to both this forum and to the Pirates! game, so please excuse my lack of tech savy....

In fact I'm too much of a newb to know how to post a map screenshot, but I have recovered all four parts of the map to find my Lost Sister, however, it says "Search south-east of Florida Keys" and shows nothing but land and some non-unique landmarks (i.e deserted cabin, dead trees) but nothing I can notice as I sail by. Sad

There is an "X" on the map, but I don't even see and large land mass south-east of Florida Keys except for Cuba and I figure if it was there it would say "Search near Havana" or something.

Do I just need to explore all of Cuba until I find my sister?!?

Thank you much for your assistance!

- Dread
rupertlittlebear
Helmsman

10381 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bytor wrote:
How Do I Post A Screen Shot In My Message?

This seems to be a very popular question and I will attempt to answer this as simply as I can.

You need 3 things, Pirates The Game, any paint program and a website to host your image. Do not despair if you don't have a host website, keep reading.

First off, you need to have the game where you want the screen shot. Press the Print Screen button on your keyboard (located next to F12)

Once you have done this you need to Hit the ALT and the TAB keys together. This will bring you to your desktop. Open your paint program, which can be MS Paint, Paint Shop Pro, Adobe Photoshop, or others. Select Edit or File, depending and click Paste from Clipboard. Save your sceen shot some place you'll remember(I suggest the Desktop).

You can now upload this screen shot to your host website.

If you don't have a host website you can use www.photobucket.com , it's free. Register there and upload your pic. When your done uploading, you'll see 3 options below your picture. Highlight and Copy the one that says Image Tag.

Your almost there....

Now Paste that into your post...VIOLA

Hope this Helps Guys and Gals
rupertlittlebear
Helmsman

10381 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given your description, Florida Keys is the closest major settlement (the kind with a Governor, not simply a Mayor) to the red X.

The best help I can come up with without a screen shot.
The Dread Ras Tafari
Powder Monkey

269 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for the help!!

Lets see if this works...

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y296/Negril/lost-sister.bmp
CGM3
Gunner

12612 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, this is a puzzler.

Looking at the map, there's a largish island -- actually, two islands separated by a narrow channel -- southeast of Florida Keys, although I believe that onscreen it looks more like a lot of little islands close together. Provided Nassau, and possibly Eleuthera, aren't present in the era you're playing, Florida Keys is the closest major port, and the southwestern corner of the northern "isle" looks similar to the coastline on your map.

Failing that, I'm tempted to suggest you try north of Florida Keys, on the western coast of Florida (or possibly Lake Okechobee, the large body of water in southern Florida). I've never heard of a map getting north and south mixed up, but...

One thing to remember: every map seems to have a "coastal landmark" (Captain's Reef, Shark Rock, whatever) associated with it, even if the landmark doesn't appear on the map (where it's shown by a skull). Wherever you wind up looking, land at any likely "coastal landmark" and cast about for that stone head.

Good luck, and keep us posted. The only other thing I can think of is if you could post the save game file somewhere so we could look for it with you.
Airsaw
Rigger

3281 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. There was a bug on our map, once. The first mate, bless his soul, smashed it with the flat of his sword, then scraped it off the map, so we could continue our conversation. We didn't think about it much then, but when we were out hunting for the blessed treasure, we kept seeing a river on the map that we couldn't find ashore. Finally, we let the surgeon see the map. He wears glasses, yah see. He says, "It's the imprint of the leg of a cockroach." Boy, wuz WE embarassed!
Shocked
Helmsman

10381 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First Guess.
On the Paper Map, The large island just south of the "N" of Nassau Eleuthera. Looks a little more east of Florida Keys than south.
The Dread Ras Tafari
Powder Monkey

269 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, well I would be glad to post my save game file somewhere so anyone who dares could help me search for my sistren, but the site which I registered to above only allows me to post image file-types. Know any free hosting sites that allow miscellaneous files?

Anyhow, I followed your tips and searched the islands sounth of Nassau on the paper map. Once you sail there you discover that its not really a big island like it looks on the map, there is a lot of water interspersed with the land. I trompsed all over them anyways, however and didnt even find so much as a dead tree! Sad

Next I explored nearly every bit of south florida, from like the Tampa Bay area south all around that big lake area and all the way back down to the southern tip. I found a few dead trees to get my hopes up, but no other land marks to match the map, and no sister! Mad

The only other place I can think to search is Cuba, but I that will have to wait for tomorrow I guess. I cant take anymore aimless wandering today
Mycroft Stanyer
Seaman

2709 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rupertlittlebear wrote:
Given your description, Florida Keys is the closest major settlement (the kind with a Governor, not simply a Mayor) to the red X. ...

I found that it's not neccessarily the case that the map's directions are bound to the closest major port. I have a screenshot of a treasure map to Stede Bonnet's stash. The directions say "Search West of Maracaibo"— but Rio de la Hacha is close enough to the treasure so as to appear on the map itself (while Maracaibo is far enough that it does not!).
Capt Peter Blackthorne
Cutthroat

1827 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks like Cuba to me.

Post the save game?
Mycroft Stanyer
Seaman

2709 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My vote is, it's on Cuba in the area of Havana. The landmarks are probably generated in proximity to a randomly-selected port, without regard to its subsequent proximity to any neighboring port.

So while the directions speak of the Florida Keys, the cabin may very well be in the vincinity of Havana without having any mention of Havana in the map.
The Dread Ras Tafari
Powder Monkey

269 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capt Peter Blackthorne wrote:

Post the save game?

Here's the save game file

http://www.geocities.com/dreadpiratebobarne/lostsister.zip
rupertlittlebear
Helmsman

10381 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Dread Ras Tafari wrote:
Capt Peter Blackthorne wrote:

Post the save game?

Here's the save game file

http://www.geocities.com/dreadpiratebobarne/lostsister.zip
Started by checking the Islands just east of F-K. Then scouted the southern side of Cuba.
Your sister is here.

The stone head is a little east of where the ship landed.
I saw the hut.
Airsaw
Rigger

3281 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that is some impressive sleuthing there, and such a generous offer of time and effort. I like the map graphic, too. It looks so COOL!
Powder Monkey

156 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a relief. I have both the Blackbeard and Lost City of Incas maps in sim ilar circumstances and thought it was a bug.

I'll have to do some little exploring now. I gather the directions are right, you just have to keep going a bit further afield than usual.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Orienteering All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: