Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Patch 1.0.2 is on the way!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Pirates! Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dshirk
Firaxian
Firaxian

1241 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad i've been "authenticated". Wink

I am also a huge fan of Pirates, and find myself playing it even more than Civ, so there is nothing I would rather see than continued support of Pirates by Take 2.

In addition, leading up to the release of Pirates! for Xbox, we are going to start sending exclusive content to the fan sites that the major sites do not receive. Good stuff is on the way.
Orangebeard
Cutthroat

4436 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How will the 1.0.2 patch be designed?

1) Built upon 1.0.1 (thus requiring 1.0.1 to install)
2) Inclusive of 1.0.1 (so you get both by installing just 1.0.2)
3) Independent of 1.0.1 (doesn't matter if you installed 1.0.1)

When the first patch was released, I think the general consensus was that the patch should not be installed unless you were experiencing game play issues.

As one who has had very few game play issues, I didn't install the first patch and would like to avoid doing so.

...and welcome to the site dshirk! Thank you for taking a few moments to bring us 'in the loop' on the progress of the new patch. It's nice to be part of a fan-base that has been deemed important enough to merit a visit from 'on high'! Sailor
With nothing in sight to keep me warm!
Kristian95
Boatswain

4687 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This indeed is great news Smile Thank you Firaxis for continuing support for this cool game Smile
Kensai
Seaman

1462 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:12 pm    Post subject: For Cyberops Reply with quote

And Cyberops, what you will do about this? What do you think?
QBRADQ
Seaman

4756 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dshirk, when can we expect the change-log on this patch, as a function of time scale? Like, a week or two? Or perhaps a couple weeks before the patch is released?

Also, can we expect any type of statement regarding the future development plans for Pirates! ? Like, will this patch be the end of development for the PC version, or is the post-release development cycle open-ended? Also, (and this may have been answered previously, but hey, I'm new around here) are there any plans for expansions to the game?

Personaly, I would like to see some sort of deeper modability. The Morrowind engine, which I understand the game uses, has been proven to be incredibly flexable and modable. Granted, I don't know if it's just the rendering engine that Pirates! uses, or it's the whole sha'bang, but it seems like some deeper level of modablity could be offered.

Anyway, I'm pleased as a grey-haired swashbuckler sitting atop an eighty-pound golden egg to hear about this new patch. I bought this game only six days ago (although I have been playing my Pirates! NES cartrage for over a decade now) and am thrilled with the community and development around it. Thanks for your post, and in advance for any other information you may be able to offer us.

Thanks for reading,
QBRADQ
Wolfwood
Boatswain

33917 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would someone please tell me when this midsummer is supposed to happen? As I said, in Finland it will be celebrated a week from now... The night when the sun never sets...

dshirk! Welcome to the forums! I'm gladdened by everything that you said! Thumbs Up
It is much better to be armed with a sword that has two edges than with an estoc [...], which is nothing more than a stick with a point. (Rapier Master G. Morsicato Pallavicini, La Scherma Illustrata, p. 14.)
Javi
Cutthroat

2778 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolfwood wrote:
Would someone please tell me when this midsummer is supposed to happen? As I said, in Finland it will be celebrated a week from now... The night when the sun never sets...

dshirk! Welcome to the forums! I'm gladdened by everything that you said! Thumbs Up

Here, the summer didn´t star yet...
Iron Guts

10339 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I deeply regret my above statement, I read the original post as a new user come posting with rumor. Thanks to PF, it has been learned that the poster was indeed a Firaxian!! I, again, am sorry to have doubted. But you must understand that the track record preceding you is not very good, thus making us skeptical.

Now that your true nature has been made known, and heralded with your tilte of "Firaxian" We welcome any and all comments you wish to make in regards to a little game "Pirates!, Live the Life", or, as we like to call it, our obsession....lol

Have an Army Day
PiratesFan
Rigger

23509 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Wolfwood to quote myself from the news item I added "midsummer this year (July-August time would be my guess). " since this is based on US progression of the seasons.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Wolfwood
Boatswain

33917 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, ok! Thanks for the clarification, PF! Even though I presently reside in Vancouver, I know little of how these local folks calculate the passage of time...

Back in Finland it is now the part of the summer when the sun never sets in the night, thus making for the warmest time of the year, thus equalling in mid-summer...
It is much better to be armed with a sword that has two edges than with an estoc [...], which is nothing more than a stick with a point. (Rapier Master G. Morsicato Pallavicini, La Scherma Illustrata, p. 14.)
Airsaw
Rigger

3281 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Westley_Roberts wrote:
I deeply regret my above statement,
I don't see why you should. It dropped right out of the blue on the coattails of all the discussion about a letter. The way it was phrased it could just as easily have been someone who read something somewhere, which is hearsay. In fact, Wes, I was glad to see your circumspect response.

I'm sure the poster understands we get all kinds of people on the web, and it's best to run with verification. No no no. No foul. Good job.
Shocked

Wolfwood: We also call it (here in the south anyway) "high summer", July - mid July. What with global warming, that great mythology, summer is running into October down here these days. I can set out tomato plants at the end of April (Atlanta area) and get tomatoes all the way to Halloween (Oct. 31st)! But, I'm sure you mean "on the calendar".
Iron Guts

10339 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Airsaw, but in my mind, I lashed out at what I thought was some poster that just dropped rumor and ran off..no references, new poster with limited posts. It wasn't professional, nor warranted. He could have been a longtime lurker, and only recently registered just to post his findings.

So, I wanted to reply to that, my attitude towrds a new poster, not that what I said wasn't exactly on the ball, to authenticate his findings..

But thanks again Airsaw..

Have an Army Day
Blackheart
Powder Monkey

644 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, when one consorts with pirates, one ought to expect them to shoot first and ask questions later!

Now, where did I leave my parrot...

Orangebeard wrote:

When the first patch was released, I think the general consensus was that the patch should not be installed unless you were experiencing game play issues.

I'm curious: why is this so? I have so far only experienced one bug in the game, but my tendency is to always install any available patches. What is "wrong" with the patch, that people don't want to install it?
CGM3
Gunner

12612 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blackheart wrote:
What is "wrong" with the patch, that people don't want to install it?

Because it didn't address all of the bugs, and added a few of its own. For one thing, when you challenge the Obnoxious Captain to a duel over the honor of the barmaid (oxymoron?) in the patched game, nine times out of ten he becomes Colonel Mendoza for the fight itself.

More seriously, if you sack a port in the patched game and install a new governor, you have a devil of a time ever attacking that port again. You can usually sail into it (with no option to sneak in or attack) no matter how peeved the owning nation may be with you, and when you march into it on land you usually enter without the enter/leave/attack option. (The one exception I have found to this is when the garrison drops to less than 100 men you can sometimes attack.)

Let's hope these issues are addressed in the new patch. Mr. Green
Wolfwood
Boatswain

33917 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there is some confusion between the two patches that have been released.

The first one came out soon after the game was released and was a FIX not a patch, meant to help with the problems some had with the security of the game DVDs and CDs. This was not to be installed unless you had problems.

The second patch was US only and promised to fix quite a few gameplay problems, including the bigged treasure fleet and avoid the "capture and convert the same town a zillion times and become a duke for every nation" bug etc. This patch was released for the purposes of everyone installing it. Unfortunately, this patch rather increased the number of bugs than decreased them (captains of the guard changing appearance, impossibility to convert a town that you had converted previously but had been recaptured etc.).
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Pirates! Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: