Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Patch 1.0.2 is on the way!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Pirates! Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rupertlittlebear
Helmsman

10381 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will learn.

They WILL teach you.
Kristian95
Boatswain

4687 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rupert.... just one little question Wink
If you're so angry about all this and dislike the game so much for being buggy (just reading what you write these days)..... then why do you play the game, and why do you hang out at a fan site ???
Sorry, this just baffles me a little and is not at all meant as flaming Smile
dshirk
Firaxian
Firaxian

1241 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are a small development house. Our history shows a wonderful record of releasing great games, and then making sure that the bugs are corrected over time. Unfortunately, when you don't have the support of a publisher, promises that you would like to keep get undermined. Even Battlefield 2's latest patch was a game-killer that they had to actually rescind.

Take two bought out Civilization from Atari, and took over the publishing rights for Pirates. They are now preparing to re-release Pirates PC (1.0.2) to the world, with a simultaneous patch release (also a world patch). To everyone, I would ask for your patience. I announced early on the boards that the patch will be getting released mid-summer (hopefully within the next couple of weeks).

If i'm wrong, feel free to keel-haul me when the time comes. But you won't have to worry about being uninformed.

Smile
Kristian95
Boatswain

4687 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dshirk wrote:
We are a small development house. Our history shows a wonderful record of releasing great games, and then making sure that the bugs are corrected over time. Unfortunately, when you don't have the support of a publisher, promises that you would like to keep get undermined. Even Battlefield 2's latest patch was a game-killer that they had to actually rescind.

Take two bought out Civilization from Atari, and took over the publishing rights for Pirates. They are now preparing to re-release Pirates PC (1.0.2) to the world, with a simultaneous patch release (also a world patch). To everyone, I would ask for your patience. I announced early on the boards that the patch will be getting released mid-summer (hopefully within the next couple of weeks).

If i'm wrong, feel free to keel-haul me when the time comes. But you won't have to worry about being uninformed.

Smile

I'm sure most of us are patient Smile I'm sure you guys're working hard at the moment with both the patch and finishing Civ4 and all that Wink I just hope my radeon 7500 card will be enough for Civ4!!
Until then I look forward to the patch for Pirates! I don't think the bugs I have encountered this far are that bad though Smile
rupertlittlebear
Helmsman

10381 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hold your breath Kristian95.

Don't expect any patch before you upgrade to a photonic computer.
rupertlittlebear
Helmsman

10381 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kristian95 wrote:
If you're so angry about all this and dislike the game so much for being buggy (just reading what you write these days)..... then why do you play the game, and why do you hang out at a fan site ???
Everybody looks at the game and goes "OH MY"

Nobody looks beyond the very thin veneer of the topic to see the limitations or the programming and excessive design errors.

With everybody just being in love with the buggy game, the developers have no motivation to repair their product.

As long as only glowing and fawning reviews are posted, they ain't a gonna fix it.
PiratesFan
Rigger

23509 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rupertlittlebear wrote:
Kristian95 wrote:
Everybody looks at the game and goes "OH MY"

Nobody looks beyond the very thin veneer of the topic to see the limitations or the programming and excessive design errors.

With everybody just being in love with the buggy game, the developers have no motivation to repair their product.

As long as only glowing and fawning reviews are posted, they ain't a gonna fix it.

I would like to think that Firaxis is a different type of programming company and like to here compliments on their games and suggestions. I also would like to think that if that company sees the excitement from everyone that will make them want to fix what there public feels is wrong with the game. Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion, but having done programming before I realize the sense of accomplishment and then always wanting to go that extra step forward to make it better when everyone likes it. When people are trashing it, I persoanlly would want to trash the program and be done with it.

So I guess there is 2 sides to every coin Rupert Wink Not attacking ya Rupert just playing the devils advocate here Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Wolfwood
Boatswain

33917 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely a two-sided coin, this one is.

On one hand, I think we all agree that Pirates! is a great game and that we all enjoy playing it. I'm sure that the mere existence of fansites like ours is a proof of that - if the game was not great, the discussion would not be as extensive as it is here.

On the other hand, we all know that Pirates! also has some problems, some major and some minor ones, that we'd like to see fixed. My own way of dealing with bugs/problems (in games) is _usually_ to work around them as much as I can and try to avoid situations in which they become evident. Someone else reacts by making a list of the problems and publishing it for the gaming community to peruse and analyse.

If everyone acted like I do (well, the hypothetical "I", at least - personally, I've listed my view of the problems in Pirates! a long time ago), the programmers themselves would never learn of the problems in their code, so it is necessary have some of those devil's advocates around who remind everyone, especially the programmers, that there is still work to be done there and not everything is as great as it could be.

I think most of the major problems/bugs were reported rather soon after the game was published, and it is just this delay between the reporting and the reaction that's the problem and has caused cynicism to raise its head. Add to this the release of the failed US patch and you begin to have even more problems. It is hard to truly trust good news when you hear them so long after you hoped to hear something.

I take some of the most critical statements that I've read as a sign that the people, on one hand, want to remind the developers of the problems, but also beg to be proven wrong in their belief that the developers are simply ignoring them.

As far as I can see, both Firaxis and Take2 understand these problems and this is part of the reason why they want to "wipe the slate clean" and re-release the game. Of course it not only makes sense from the business side of the equation, but it will also give them a chance to rebuilt the trust of the gaming community.

All in all, I think one of the most interesting aspects of this whole thing is that we've heard no details of what the soon-to-be-released patch will actually patch. Some may take this as a bad sign, thinking that the programmers don't know what they are doing (and the patch will patch what it will patch, no more, no promises made), but I'm holding hopes that we are up for a surprise...

I hope I made some sense there... But if I didn't, I doubt you bothered to read this far anyway, so this whole paragraph is a waste of time...
It is much better to be armed with a sword that has two edges than with an estoc [...], which is nothing more than a stick with a point. (Rapier Master G. Morsicato Pallavicini, La Scherma Illustrata, p. 14.)
SlipperyJim
Cutthroat

2045 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm hearing about a "re-release" ... and I'm getting paranoid. They're not going to force us to re-purchase the game in order to get patched, are they?

I hope not ... but I'm also getting cynical in my old age.

What? Oh, NOW I get it....
rupertlittlebear
Helmsman

10381 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolfwood wrote:

I think most of the major problems/bugs were reported rather soon after the game was published, and it is just this delay between the reporting and the reaction that's the problem and has caused cynicism to raise its head. Add to this the release of the failed US patch and you begin to have even more problems. It is hard to truly trust good news when you hear them so long after you hoped to hear something.

I take some of the most critical statements that I've read as a sign that the people, on one hand, want to remind the developers of the problems, but also beg to be proven wrong in their belief that the developers are simply ignoring them.
Interesting points Wolfwood.

They have had ample time to "Prove Me Wrong", but they keep proving me right!

How old is this thread?

Same promise as in December!!

Still waiting!!

No patch . . . this is proof that I am correct!

Proof that they seek to annoy loyalty.

Same old promises, same old non-delivery.
PiratesFan
Rigger

23509 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SlipperyJim wrote:
I'm hearing about a "re-release" ... and I'm getting paranoid. They're not going to force us to re-purchase the game in order to get patched, are they?

A re-release is like putting out the "Gold" version which inclusdes all the patches for people that haven't bought the game.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
rupertlittlebear
Helmsman

10381 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PiratesFan wrote:
SlipperyJim wrote:

A re-release is like putting out the "Gold" version which inclusdes all the patches for people that haven't bought the game.
Down Boy!!
Let this straight line pass!!
Westley_Roberts
Iron Guts

10339 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't help but be grateful for dshirk's coming in here and posting any information.

It shows to me that someone cares enough to let the fan sites know what is happening.

I find it very nice. As for a 're-release' I hope that any data that will be found on a disc in that box will be available for download for all the prior customers.

Have an Army Day
Kristian95
Boatswain

4687 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look at the support Firaxis has had for Civ3, look at the history of good support (in form of patches) that has existed for Sid Meier games in general. I think history should teach us that these guys can be trusted Smile
rupertlittlebear
Helmsman

10381 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kristian95 wrote:
Take a look at the support Firaxis has had for Civ3, look at the history of good support (in form of patches) that has existed for Sid Meier games in general. I think history should teach us that these guys can be trusted Smile
Remember the old adage ->

Fool me once, shame on you.
Fool me twice, shame on me.

Same promise since December. Non-delivery.

Not trying to be insulting here, but have you ever heard of "Pollyanna"?

And as has been pointed out, Civ 3 has a nifty bug that is not being patched!!
(History of support.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Pirates! Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: