Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Empire Earth II
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Other Games Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldman
Rigger

483 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 5:05 am    Post subject: Empire Earth II Reply with quote

I took my kids out to do "back to school" shopping and saw Empire Earth II... I think it is new... or at least it is new to me.

Any one out there play this game yet? If so, what do you think of it...
RedMenace
Swabbie

1498 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh, the lack of a Russian nation to play with totally ruined it for me. I mean, how can you have a game about Great Empires of the Earth and not have Russia?

I mean, they had Turkey for christsake, TURKEY, but not Russia! Shocked

headrock
Rigger

354 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a copy in China which worked only for a short while, but as far as I could see it was almost identical to the original in terms of general feel (looks only slightly better). The unit relations are FAR more complex in this one, making it more obscure rather than more interesting. That kinda put me off.

oldman
Rigger

483 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... in that case... nah. Thanks for the advice.

I originally came from Taiwan... and the Chinese games RPG are heavily into the folks stories developed from the history... Like Romance of the 3 kingdoms and such... Those have strong story lines and play incredibly good...

Unfortunately... those games are only regionally base... and much of the fun was taken away when the story line was translated.

In the early 90's I almost went to work for a small company out in Seattle... called SquareSoft... They did primariy Japanese games on Nintendo (then)... But, when I find out most of the story was going to be change... I turn it down Sad

So yeah... I think game play is incredibly important... lack of Russian... or obscurity definitely threw the game off.
Airsaw
Rigger

3281 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play Empire Earth. II is new. Go to http://www.hookedgamers.com and find it, I think it's in the strategy game section. There's a good write-up done by a staffer there. I love Empire Earth. It's challenging. I think kids from 12 up can get lost in it for hours.
Rigger

23509 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would of been me that had that write up under the Strategy games section over there. Check it out ... I still play it and my friend is kicking my arse even worst at it.. but fun to team up and play against others online
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Airsaw
Rigger

3281 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldman wrote:
Well... in that case... nah. Thanks for the advice.

I originally came from Taiwan... and the Chinese games RPG are heavily into the folks stories developed from the history... Like Romance of the 3 kingdoms and such... Those have strong story lines and play incredibly good...

Unfortunately... those games are only regionally base... and much of the fun was taken away when the story line was translated.

In the early 90's I almost went to work for a small company out in Seattle... called SquareSoft... They did primariy Japanese games on Nintendo (then)... But, when I find out most of the story was going to be change... I turn it down Sad

So yeah... I think game play is incredibly important... lack of Russian... or obscurity definitely threw the game off.
Cool Beans, I'm a huge fan of Romance of the Three Kingdoms, and I still play it a lot. I don't much like what they did with it when they bailed on Nintendo.

I certainly recall SquareSoft, by the way!

There's a game we're anticipating called Age of Pirates that's of Russian origin. Click the link up there...Hooked on Age of Pirates. You might find it interesting. "We" don't read Russian, but perhaps you do. There's a lot of it around this game.
Rigger

354 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldman wrote:

Oh man I was so upset that all the Chinese guys were playing these RPGs and I couldn't - they looked so interesting (except the Chinese seem to love cheating, I don't see their point to playing). Eventually I just played lots of Diablo II in Chinese, having had known the English translations almost by heart - learned quite a few characters that way, until I found a way to switch a chinese version back to English. Heh heh.

Airsaw wrote:
I love Empire Earth. It's challenging. I think kids from 12 up can get lost in it for hours.

Oh man I spent so much time on the first game it's unbelievable. My personal favourites were the Battle of Waterloo (Which was FANTASTICALLY done) and of course the German campaign, of which the battle of britain was by far the most enjoyable, and the trench warfare was so frustratingly good.

oldman
Rigger

483 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

headrock wrote:
oldman wrote:

Oh man I was so upset that all the Chinese guys were playing these RPGs and I couldn't - they looked so interesting (except the Chinese seem to love cheating, I don't see their point to playing). Eventually I just played lots of Diablo II in Chinese, having had known the English translations almost by heart - learned quite a few characters that way, until I found a way to switch a chinese version back to English. Heh heh.

Airsaw wrote:
I love Empire Earth. It's challenging. I think kids from 12 up can get lost in it for hours.

Oh man I spent so much time on the first game it's unbelievable. My personal favourites were the Battle of Waterloo (Which was FANTASTICALLY done) and of course the German campaign, of which the battle of britain was by far the most enjoyable, and the trench warfare was so frustratingly good.

Which provience are you at now? Well Chinese are known to hack the damn game due to short patience... but, that takes the fun out of the game.

Hmm... sounds like the comment on Empire Earth II is mixed... I think I will just have to buy the game and see it for myself Smile
headrock
Rigger

354 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldman wrote:
Which provience are you at now?
actually I've been home for about two months now.

oldman
Rigger

483 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah...

Many of my hi-tech buddies have permanently relocated to China due to increasing needs of foreign managment team there for day-to-day operations...

Shanghai, Beijing, Hunan... Loosing my buddies constantly... Sad
Sullaford
Swabbie

453 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have EE1 but it was kinda blah for me... i was able to get about 3 eras up on the AI and bomb the heck outta them. EE2 doesn't hld much of a draw for me.
Airsaw
Rigger

3281 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must be a woosie. I just don't like the fighting in Age of Empires and Empire Earth. For both, I build huge maps, put one civ on them, set up a trigger to end it, and I build and build. It's fun and diverting.
Swabbie

453 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Age of Empires. I once had a nice huge city with buildings set up in blocks and walls lined with ballita towers and big gates and my proudest warriors in parade formation down the main boulevard.
oldman
Rigger

483 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sullaford wrote:
I love Age of Empires. I once had a nice huge city with buildings set up in blocks and walls lined with ballita towers and big gates and my proudest warriors in parade formation down the main boulevard.

I have the Age of Empires II. That I like ... it is closer to the Chinese counter part... although not quiet as close as I would like... but still not a bad game to play.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Other Games All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: