Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

um, hi
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Pirates! Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Calico Jack
Powder Monkey

226 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:01 pm    Post subject: um, hi Reply with quote

hi, i had a version of the game in which you didnt need the CD to play it, but now that i dwnlded the patch, it says i need disc 2, what do i do?? Confused Confused Confused
rupertlittlebear
Helmsman

10381 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:07 am    Post subject: Re: um, hi Reply with quote

Calico Jack wrote:
hi, i had a version of the game in which you didnt need the CD to play it, but now that i dwnlded the patch, it says i need disc 2, what do i do?? Confused Confused Confused
The only known version of the game that does not need the CD/DVD to play is a Pirated Version.

Therefore your only legal course of action is to go out and purchase a legitemate version of the game.
Howie
Helmsman

45890 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:09 am    Post subject: Re: um, hi Reply with quote

Calico Jack wrote:

Hi Calico Jack. Welcome to HoP... As far as I know there weren't any versions of the game that allowed playing the game without the disk inserted. Is this a copy of the game? If it is I really don't think it will be able to be updated or patched. If it is a copy I would suggest buying the game if you have an unsanctioned copy. The game comes with the new 1.02 patch as part of the package. Plus you get the book, map and will have the warm feeling of supporting the writers, programmers and developers. Good luck...
Swabbie

1251 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the game and hated putting in the cd all the time so I used the no cd crack but then all my trainers and mods stopped working!! The no cd crack in my opinion is worse than having to have to use the cd all the time.
Starry
Seaman

194 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just use Pirates! with Alcohol 52%...use that with most of my oft played games.
Howie
Helmsman

45890 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like using programs like that because they mess with files and you can'y patch the game sometimes. Plus they copy a lot of junk from the CD that I would rather not have on my hard drive. Although I have 100 gigs I don't like having full installs on the drive. Would rather have that stuff on the cd. Plus it doesn't take as long to defrag the drive when it's not all clogged up with excess files... Oops or blush Lost
Seaman

194 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two hard drives, one for XP and one for XPx64, and my newest is 250 gigs so it can handle the extra CD...I can always patch the game...and I have an extra partition for downloaded files and virtual CDs so I don't need to defrag them at the same time as everything else.
Airsaw
Rigger

3281 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's pretty damned lame to be so lazy you can't stick a CD into a drive. You don't even have to pull the drawer out, just push a button, and you don't have to use two hands to pick up the CD. Maybe you hate having to dig through the mess on your computer table to find the CD.

This post takes the cake with pure laziness in a high tech world. I don't like putting in the CD. Maybe you need to go out and get some air, or maybe not.
Seaman

194 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like digging through my >50 games to find a CD especially considering sometimes I just want to play a lot of games for a smaller time period.

Especially considering how bad I am with actually getting them back where they belong. My computer is clean, my room is not.

Lazy? Yes. Unreasonable? No.

Do I need fresh air? Usually. Does it ever do me any good when I get it? Not very often.
Airsaw
Rigger

3281 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starry wrote:
Lazy? Yes. Unreasonable? No.
I can see how you'd want to say that, but I beg to differ. Not only "unreasonable", indefensible as well. I feel compelled to wonder if you can run a mile without getting winded. Yet, I know this is the modern world where it's all attitude and no latitude - all show and no go.
Seaman

194 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can beg to differ all you want, I'll still use virtual CD programs. Since they exist, and people often use them, I really don't understand why you think it's unreasonable.

And how is it indefensible? Indefensible from what? It's certainly not illegal.

Anyway, seeing as this thread is suddenly becoming hostile, I think I'll unsubscribe to it.
Airsaw
Rigger

3281 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starry wrote:
You can beg to differ all you want, I'll still use virtual CD programs. Since they exist, and people often use them, I really don't understand why you think it's unreasonable.

And how is it indefensible? Indefensible from what? It's certainly not illegal.

Anyway, seeing as this thread is suddenly becoming hostile, I think I'll unsubscribe to it.
Yah see, the pretense of hiding behind manners, and attempting to change the subject. The point was "laziness". Hostile? Or is it just disagreeable?
Boatswain

33917 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I don't like the idea of having to play with CDs and DVDs all the time, because every time you handle them, you risk damaging them. And as they are your only copies of potentially expensive programs, it becomes even more disagreeable.

But I undertand that this is one of those precautions against piracy that forces companies to code such check-ups. I'll prolly accept it for as long as I haven't managed to destroy any of my disks, or they haven't rotted (the famous DVD rot) or otherwise been damaged due to faults in the manufacture.
It is much better to be armed with a sword that has two edges than with an estoc [...], which is nothing more than a stick with a point. (Rapier Master G. Morsicato Pallavicini, La Scherma Illustrata, p. 14.)
Howie
Helmsman

45890 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like using programs like that mainly because they copy everything from the CD to my hard drive. I like to keep minimal files on the drive. I really don't think this is a case of laziness or not wanting to open the drive or look for a cd. I think it's more of a convenience thing and of a desire to speed up game play. On some games the game will pause while the machine is accessing data from the cd, which is slow. If everything is located on the HD then game play can be faster and seamless. That’s only my opinion but that’s why I think folks use these programs. Not because they are lazy but because they just want to make the games easier to access and play. Good ideas all... Wink

Btw... If you saw my computer desk you would be amazed at the clutter. No that’s laziness or just not having time to keep things in place. Let's put it this way not having time is just laziness. Oh well...
Helmsman

45890 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolfwood wrote:
I'll prolly accept it for as long as I haven't managed to destroy any of my disks, or they haven't rotted (the famous DVD rot) or otherwise been damaged due to faults in the manufacture.

Wolf how do DVDs rot? Other then scratches or other damage I have not heard of this term. Can the media degrade from many playings? I didn't think that would or could happen.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Pirates! Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: