Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Exclusive Insider Information Article
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Pirates! Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Civrules
Cutthroat

4032 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:52 pm    Post subject: Exclusive Insider Information Article Reply with quote

Here at Cutlass Isle, we’ve been planning an article which will answer most questions that you might have about the game. These questions you ask might be concerns, or simple gameplay questions, such as how the game feels, and how open it is to the player.

A good example of a question everyone’s been asking -- and not just in this forum -- is regarding the game’s speed. Another concern a lot of people have been looking at is how much the wind factor affects the game.
These are key parts of the game, and I can understand why people have been worrying about them as they have.

Ask any tester, and he or she will tell you that they were avid to answer. Unfortunately, because of the NDA (Non-Disclosure Agreement), we were not able to post any details at all. So quite a few of you have questions like I mentioned above and we couldn't do anything to help you out.

Until now, that is!

We wanted to let loose so much, that Falconer and I have been planning on how to accomplish this. We eventually went to Jeff and explained to him our plan. This being Falconer’s idea, undertaken by me, and made possible by Jeff, we’ll give each and every one of you the opportunity to ask any questions you would like!

When you finish asking the questions, we’ll answer them with the knowledge we have gained through the Beta test, compile them into one big article, and send them to Jeff for approval. Afterwards, we’ll go ahead and post the approved questions -- along with the answers, of course -- in early November.

There is a catch, however. Only the questions asked here in this thread will be submitted to Jeff.

So right now, you can ask away! Very Happy

Please note: We will make a selection of the questions you post here, answere them, and then ship them off to Jeff/Atari. It's possible that the answers to certain questions won't be approved and thus won't make it into the final article. Of course we hope this won't happen at all.

Last edited by Civrules on Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:18 pm; edited 3 times in total
KingWilly
Rigger

9821 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK then, one question to start with..

Does the number of men you take into a battle (in particular, a swordfight) affect the outcome of the battle, or does it all rely on your skills. For example can you take 20 men into a swordfight against 150 and win if you are a good swordsman?

AKA. Will Scarlett.
SirDrago
Seaman

1570 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well,
i think i read on PA that there are hurricanes in the game. Can you confirm that? And if they are in the game how strong are they and how big? Can you lose control over the ship when you are inside one and can your ship be destroyed?

How many men you can have at maximum? Does it depend on the type of your ships? Like if you have 4 sloops in your fleet you can have 300 men or if you have 4 galleons you can have 1000 men?

Is Panama still the strongest and wealthiest city in the game?

Are there any new cities or just the ones we know from the original game?

How does saving a game works? Can you still save at any point in the game?

Well thats it for now. If i can think about more questions i will post them here Smile.

Edit: OK one question that is not about the game but goes directly to Jeff:
There was still no official word about it but which Pirates Version is now included in the LE? The C-64 version or the Pirates Gold version?

Edit 2: In the original Pirates it happened quite often that cities hidden their gold after you attacked them. Is that still in the game?

What is the maximum resolution you can play the game with?

Last edited by SirDrago on Sat Oct 16, 2004 6:32 am; edited 3 times in total
KingWilly
Rigger

9821 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another question that has already been partly answered by reviewers...

What customisations (such as ability to sail under your own flag design) are there in the game?

And some more...

Are there still different time periods in the game?

How many difficulty levels are there?

Is it possible to convert the entire Caribbean to one particular nation?

I'm sure I'll have more questions later. Razz

AKA. Will Scarlett.
Wolfwood
Boatswain

33917 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slightly connected with one of the previous questions:

Will the types of ships in the game depend on the time periods, remembering that the ships in 16th and 17th centuries differed from each other? (i.e. they developed from ships with high fore and back castles to somewhat sleeker types)

Will the steering equipment of the ships be visible from close range and are they period sensitive? Remembering here that 16th- and 17th-century ships were generally steered by way of a whipstaff, not a wheel.

How about clothing styles? The long captain's jacket (visible in some screenshots) was a late development and should thus not appear in the earlier periods.

Ok, only the first question was a serious one; the latter ones will only be important to period enthusiasts...

Last edited by Wolfwood on Wed Oct 13, 2004 11:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sloopy
Powder Monkey

23 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 10:50 pm    Post subject: An opportunity not to be missed Reply with quote

What are the Ship Upgrades and how do they effect your ship
Copper Plating: Turning speed
Double Slung Hammocks: Double the Crew
Brass Cannons: Range
Fine grain gun powder: Accuracy
What other upgrades are available ?

Sloop of War (fully upgraded)
Max number of Guns ?
Max Crew ?
Max Speed ?
Turn Rate ?

That will keep me happy for a while, but then what about the 26 other ships in the game?
fordfan25
Powder Monkey

211 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what are all the ship types?
CaptainBlood
Swabbie

985 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that this question does not deal directly with the new game, but has been asked by several people including me, regarding the limited editon of the game....

what version will be included of the original game in the limited edition, please let me know that it is the pirates gold edition, and not the original pirates, the gold verison on pc had much better graphics and overall gameplay, and I would still play it for hours if it would run on my pc.

other than that, I am happy to say that I already received the limited editon preorder as a birthday present last week, and I do have to say since this topic on the forums has been introduced, there is not much else I really need to know about the game, Jeff and all of the team at Firaxis have been so helpful and great in responding to all of the posts on this site. Thank you guys for all of your work.
Captain Hicks

0 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two groups of questions:

- Will the time go at a 1 second=1 day rate?. If so, don´t you think the game will be too short? Or you can retire at 35 years old whitout suffering from old age? (In the original game you could retire at 35, but you had bad health anf that refelected in your points). In general, which have been the changes to things regarding time?.

- Why did you choose to "erase" the 1560 period? (at least from what I know) and will we bw able to customize our ship, character, etc...

Thank you very much.

0 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hi KriFos, for some incomprehensible reason I cannot access the cutlass isle forum pages, it times out on me. Could you, or anyone else reading this, perhaps forward the following questions?

- are fights still easier if you have a large crew or is more important to have a high morale in combination with skill.
- are the same cities (ie Panama, Havana, etc) still continuously the richest, or is there more randomness - I remember sacking Panama several times in a row and never noticing a drop in the plunder.
- in the old game, if you knew your coastlines well enough, you usually could guess the location of treasure intuitively with only a single piece of map - is that still the case?
- I read you cannot buy ships, true or not?
- with all the fuss made about time, I missed the question on whether time is scalable.

Thanks!
Jotte
Powder Monkey

235 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is just one little detail I don't like and that is the speed of aging. So my question there for is; Will there be a similar command to The Sims 2's "Aging off" ?
Unmerciful Bastard

0 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 12:40 am    Post subject: Q Reply with quote

1. Hi too all at Cutlass.... Qu.-- Can you tell me how towns looke ( when you sail past them, and how when visit ), are they difrent from each other ,or all towns look the same. Are there diferences in architecture between oposite countrys, and ,are there diferences between architecture in your own countrey , coused by level of development. THNx
captainkidd78
Seaman

559 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 1:41 pm    Post subject: Questions about the New Game Reply with quote

Are there going to be any add-on packs? Madagascar and Indian Ocean?
Chuko
Cutthroat

3730 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Questions about the New Game Reply with quote

captainkidd78 wrote:
Are there going to be any add-on packs? Madagascar and Indian Ocean?

In reply to that, I would have to say yes, but if they don't it should be a rather simple matter of creating your own ocean with an editor... thats if Firaxis add one on. Since pirates supposivly uses the same engine as Morrowind, I would say that the chances are high...

I don't think that is a question that Falconer of Civrules can answer, nor is this one. The one thing I am most interested in is how exstensive the editor would be, if it is like the one that was found in Morrowind, where you can recreate the game world, or would it be as simple as being able to change what your pirate looks like or the flag design. (if Jeff is reading this, could he answer it?)

Meanwhile, here are some questions that other people posted, but not in this thread. Since I belive they will have a better chance of being answered by the betas here, I shall move them here.

fencer90 asks, Will there be other swords in the game for the xbox that you can choose like maybe there is a better sword that you reieve after you raid a certain town. Maybe there is a sword that makes you faster but makes your sword weaker in damage? There should be different swords that aren't just pirate calvery swords like maybe a rapier. ALSO will there be pistols in the game that you can use maybe in town or if you fighting your way to the captain.

Guest asks, I have concerns about the cameraangles used in the game.

When swordfighting on ship I notice that a 3D cam is used. Can you change this? The only good way to fight is according to me with a cam straight from the side (as in original pirates) or a cam from behind (as in POTC and other third person games).

The mix used in the screenes makes the swordfighting pretty difficult...

the swordfighting camview that I dont like.
http://www.3dgamers.com/screenshots/games/pirates/382224/

I think they are both valid questions, so I shall put them here.

Status of Ships;
Sloop Syzer sunk, all hands presumed dead
Frigate Sezcka, 28 guns, 260 men
Sloop of War Aozora, 12 guns, 120 men
captainkidd78
Seaman

559 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 6:43 pm    Post subject: Nationality choices in the Pirates! 2 Reply with quote

I read about the 4 major powers in Pirates! 2, but when choosing nationality are there others - Irish, Danish, etc...

Also, the one part of the original Pirates! that bothered me was lack of execution. Most pirates did not retire
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Pirates! Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: