Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Sin Barba Returns!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Airsaw
Rigger

3281 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 6:28 pm    Post subject: Sin Barba Returns! Reply with quote

Word has surfaced from the depths of the stormy Caribbean, Sin Barba sends us news of his adventures, escapades and espionage as he seeks vengeance for the wrongs against his family. We here at Hooked on Pirates, and I’m sure I can speak for the bunch, are as one in our wishes for Sin Barba’s success, however vague a notion that may be. So, here is Sin Barba’s latest dispatch. (By the way. “Sin Barba” means “No Beard.” Shhhh. Don’t laugh. We’re not sure he knows.)

My fans! My fans! Hello again, me amigos here at HoP! So, it is I, Sin Barba, once again. After that fiend, Montebaln, so evilly befouled the home of my family, humbling my grandsire before his own table, I bided time in my homeland of Spain. Whereupon over time as I had grown to be a man (though young), I came to sign-on to a Spanish vessel bound from Seville to Curucao for purposes which might seem less than legal, but it was not for us to question.

It was a sturdy pinnace and made the crossing swiftly for luck and the weather was in her favor. Though, her master was a sore-cross man who treated upon his crew the most evil of abuse by hand or foot, or scorn and derision. Until, with our destination just before the horizon, the main part of the crew rose up against this malevolent skipper and hoisted him over the side, with a couple of his paid agents, oars and what provisions they’d need to paddle their way to Curucao.

We who remained onboard, however, diverted the course of this graceful vessel, to the port of Gibralter, which we deemed to be far enough away that the news of our mutiny would yet to have been heard, so to speak. And, true was the guess, for the governor gladly welcomed me when I presented myself to his chambers. He gave me Letters of Marquis bidding me to attack what English and Dutch shipping as I could for the good of the Spanish state.

Yet, I had ample time to consider certain matters making the journey across the treacherous Atlantic, such as this Montebaln, and his puny agent Reynoldo, and how could it be permitted in this "Spanish state" that they should exist. How could their (and that of the soul-less skipper of this fated pinnace) stature be thus that they can invade hearth and home of a citizen of this "state," taking all and casting that citizen and his progeny into servtitude, whilst dividing the spoils as a pack of jackals divides the kill of a lion they’ve bullied away, or so otherwise cruelly treat them while they have no recourse? This could hardly be allowed regardless of the state.

So, it was set upon my mind to pry and perhaps prey upon this “state” until it cracks somewhere, providing the whereabouts of this Spanish scoundrel, Montebaln. However, I, too am a Spaniard and it is against my motherland I set myself in my desire for vegeance upon this one man. But, my desire for justice is stronger than my fear of him, or the Spanish state. The crew for what reasons other than money anyone can guess, elected me captain of the vessel and vowed with me loyalty to piracy upon Spain…or, whomever. Mainly Spain. But, if our survival and prosperity demands we set upon others in even measure, anyone will do.

So, we set about, refitted and well-manned having heard word in the tavern that he lurked but a few leagues to the north, and we went in search of Roc Brasiliano. It wasn’t that he was such a prize, which was rumored to be 4600 gold, or so. Rather, it was his royal sloop we prized. Sure, this pinnace is a lot of fun, but c’mon. What’s wrong with a little floor-space? Besides, we were so deep in Spanish waters, it was more than likely an immediate attack upon Spanish shipping would bring upon us every floating gun borne on the waters stretching before us and any safe harbor. Roc was unaffiliated - a political wash.

And, true to the word of the lovely barmaid, after but a few days sailing north, there was the flag of Roc himself, and beneath it, the lovely vessel we coveted for ourselves. Roc was well downwind from us as he realized we were there. We bore down upon him at great speed with the wind to our advantage. By the time he’d come about and attempted a volley, we were upon him and our 62 to his 107 men began fighting it hand-to-hand, as my more than eager crew poured over her gunnels, taking control of her main decks in a sudden swarm.

While they were occupied thus, I hung in the rigging until espying the hapless skipper of this vessel. For, though Roc was famed as a ruthless pirate, he wasn’t famed as a swordsman, and so would be no match for me. I learned to fence in the courts of Seville, for though being a victim of theft, I was not robbed of my blood.

Roc swung his cutlass like a milking woman would wield a stool. It was with but a slash and a thrust I had him stunned upon his own poopdeck. At that instant, just past his head, I saw a line belaying an as yet unstowed cargo crate, and to Roc’s surprise he easily dodged my blade, unaware of his doom. He squared to me with a scornful grin of murder as the crate swung down, sweeping him over the side. The ship was ours. Those of Roc’s crewmen who felt a continued loyalty (however misplaced) were allowed to join him, for we were close enough to shore that safety was but a good swim away.

Now, with a battered, but sturdy pinnace in tow, the 62 of us, for we lost nary a soul, set about to Curucao, not to create mayhem for the state, but to find in what ways we might advance our fortunes, and possibly attain the ends we seek. We’d sell the pinnace and rename our prize Avispa – “Wasp”. Oh, I failed to mention. We now have the services of a good quartermaster.

- Sin Barba -
Seaman

194 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked A quartermaster! Is that like...a master at quartering things...cause that's just gross Rolling Eyes Laughing
Howie
Helmsman

45890 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starry wrote:
Shocked A quartermaster! Is that like...a master at quartering things...cause that's just gross Rolling Eyes Laughing

No a Quarter Master is a master at counting quarters. Lost
Seaman

194 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as long as he's not a master of counting quarterhorses...I hate those things.
Cp. Kain
Gunner

4815 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

- We can rend people in half. We also can rend them in quarter.
- That what a quartermaster be - a pirate with a big blade thar!!!

Perhaps on the rare occasion pursuing the right course demands an act of Rock'n'Roll, Rock'n'Roll itself can be the right course?
Starry
Seaman

194 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. It seems like none of us agree on what it is. How bizahhhh
Howie
Helmsman

45890 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't quote me on this but I think a Quartermaster in the Navy is an enlisted man that helps to navigate and stear the ship. I think thats what they do. I'm not sure. I was in the Navy and don't really know for sure what a Quartermaster does. Maybe I will Google the word and see... Lost
Seaman

194 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I'm sure it'd be easy to find out, but it's more fun to pretend complete ignorance Smile
Westley_Roberts
Iron Guts

10339 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who's pretending???/? Shocked

Have an Army Day
Karnik
Swabbie

3329 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd put in a good quip, but y'all have taken all the ones I could think of. Razz

According the the Oxford English Dictionary, the term probably derives from one of the meanings of "quarter" which is "assigned or appropriate position". (As in: "After rescuing the beautiful daughter, the Captain retired to his quarters.")

And in the nautical sense that Pirates! is using, the quartermaster is "A petty officer who attends to ... stowing of the hold ... ".
fossaman
Gunner

3515 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The quartermaster is usually in charge of supplies in the modern navy, but in Pirates! he enforces discipline, making your crew less likely to mutiny.

Like my fossa? He's a pirate! Razz
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: