Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Sometimes the Map Fairy is nice
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Orienteering Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheDon
Rigger

16718 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:37 pm    Post subject: Sometimes the Map Fairy is nice Reply with quote

and you get good maps...
I got these two maps one right after the other... two pieces of each. Funny that the landmarks are different. hmmm...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Cp. Kain
Gunner

4815 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

- They just don't show you all the landmarks you know...Especially on the high levels.
- Me be quite sure that all those landmarks be thar.
- Look carefully - none of them cancel each other...

Perhaps on the rare occasion pursuing the right course demands an act of Rock'n'Roll, Rock'n'Roll itself can be the right course?
TheDon
Rigger

16718 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cp. Kain wrote:
- They just don't show you all the landmarks you know...Especially on the high levels.
- Me be quite sure that all those landmarks be thar.
- Look carefully - none of them cancel each other...

Not so, me bucko. The landmarks when I went looking for the 'x' were different. I struck out from a point very near Santa Nina. There was no arch rock to the north. I kept going east and, when I saw the Indian Totem, I knew I'd be finding Montalban's hideout instead of the lost city. I could have searched all over for the lost city, but it would not have been there. This explains why you go looking for a lost city sometimes and can't ever seem to find it, but then you accidentally bump into Montalban's hideout. You could have kept searching for the lost city forever and not found it, because you were on the wrong map.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
CGM3
Gunner

12612 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect the inland landmarks are generated with the map, and erased when you find the objective. So if another map is generated covering roughly the same area, a new set of landmarks are created.
TheDon
Rigger

16718 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CGM3 wrote:
I suspect the inland landmarks are generated with the map, and erased when you find the objective. So if another map is generated covering roughly the same area, a new set of landmarks are created.

Yes, but I had both of these maps at the same time. I had not found either of them yet. As soon as I had done with Monty, I was back at my ship with "do you want to land here or put out to sea" (or whatever the message says). I chose to land and was immediately greeted with the new landmarks pointing to the lost city.
Cp. Kain
Gunner

4815 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

- That's weird, lad...Had maps with different landmarks (except for a couple), that pointed out the same place. They jusy didn't make PRECISE maps.
- But arrr if that be not sumthin' me be never seein' before. Twisted Evil

Perhaps on the rare occasion pursuing the right course demands an act of Rock'n'Roll, Rock'n'Roll itself can be the right course?
Hayashi
Seaman

519 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not unique. My last game I had maps for my kidnapped Aunt and a lost city, all within the same vicinity. Each had different landmarks, but the one consistent feature was a Spanish settlement.

So I'd guess that each map shows some, but not all, of the landmarks that actually populate the terrain. So when the game generates the map, you'll see only a partial set of landmarks which are randomly selected for display. If this is true then it is no surprise that maps of the same vicinity would show different landmarks.
TheDon
Rigger

16718 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hayashi wrote:
It's not unique. My last game I had maps for my kidnapped Aunt and a lost city, all within the same vicinity. Each had different landmarks, but the one consistent feature was a Spanish settlement.

So I'd guess that each map shows some, but not all, of the landmarks that actually populate the terrain. So when the game generates the map, you'll see only a partial set of landmarks which are randomly selected for display. If this is true then it is no surprise that maps of the same vicinity would show different landmarks.

It's not JUST that the maps show different landmarks. The landmarks that the map does not show ARE NOT THERE. As I was saying in an earlier post, if you have two maps to two locations and they are in the same vicinity, you can only find ONE of them. Which one of them you find will be determined by which landmarks are there.

If you have an arch rock on one map but not the other and you see the arch rock, then you'll find whichever location is on the map with the arch rock. You can look for the other location (lost city or mony's hideout) all you want to, but you won't find it. YOU WILL ONLY FIND the ONE that is on the map that shows the landmarks you are seeing.

It's not a lack of detail on the maps. It's a GAME AI thing. No two locations can EXIST in the game in the same vicinity. They are on different planes of existence, as it were. You must exit the plane of existence from one map and enter the plane of existence for the other map before you can find the other location.

Make sense?
Westley_Roberts
Iron Guts

10339 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's called stacking...

Whichever map is currently active, and showing the landmarks is on top.

You MUST complete the quest for that map first.

Then, that layer will be removed, and the second map will become active, and the landmarks will appear...

_____________________ Active Map
_____________________ Second Map
_____________________ World Map

Stacking... Cool

Have an Army Day
Karnik
Swabbie

3329 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheDon wrote:
You can look for the other location (lost city or mony's hideout) all you want to, but you won't find it. YOU WILL ONLY FIND the ONE that is on the map that shows the landmarks you are seeing.

It's not a lack of detail on the maps. It's a GAME AI thing. No two locations can EXIST in the game in the same vicinity.

Make sense?

Um. Makes sense, but I disagree. I have stood next to a Lost City and spotted Monty's fortress through my telescope.

I think that was while I was running patch 1.0.1, though, so things may be different in both the original version and post-patch 1.0.2.
robert
Swabbie

2074 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also disagree with Westley and the Don.
I just had the case where I had a full map for a pirate's treasure and another first piece of a map for a lost sister, both in the same area (south of Cartagena)
I went there to get the treasure and also found on my way the lost sister.

The same happened to me previously with a lost city and the Montalban's hideout.

What seems to be correct in what you are saying is that the landmarks of the two maps dont realy seem to match. However the quests you are looking for are both there.
robert
Swabbie

2074 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just want to add that I had patch 1.02 installed when those things happened.
TheDon
Rigger

16718 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. I makes sense that you SHOULD be able to. I just never have. I have wandered for months (gametime, of course) looking for a lost city that was SUPPOSED to be right there... but never found it. Instead, I stumbled across Monty's hideout. Once I completed the Monty's hideout quest and came back to the area, I found the lost city.
Hayashi
Seaman

519 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree. I disembarked, searched & found for my lost aunt (I think it was), and without heading back to ship, walked a bit further east and found the lost city.
KingWilly
Rigger

9821 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did the landmarks (on the land - not on the map) change after you had completed the first quest?

AKA. Will Scarlett.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Orienteering All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: