Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

The Cowardly Captain Morgan
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rook
Seaman

517 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 6:27 pm    Post subject: The Cowardly Captain Morgan Reply with quote

So here I am, the sunset cruise to an extremly successful career on the high seas (Adventurer). The crew , though pleased at the latest find of yet another Lost City, are all anxious to return home and curse these balsted headwinds as we round the Yucatan. I myself have been away from Barbados for too long, away from my responsibilites to the Governer and his extremly beautiful, loving, well endowed daughter.
The crew, though a bit disgruntledat the long trip ahead, continue to go about thier daily routine. Deck are swabbed and scrubbed, watches go about thier duties, and talk at the scuttlebut is all about how they will spend thier very well deserved cut of our recently aquired wealth. All seems well and in order, except for one thing. I've been at sea for 20 years, served all four nations at one point or another earning the rewards for such service and have hunted some of the most notorious pirate from one side of the Carribean to the other to claim the bounty on thier heads, except for one, Morgan. 20 years I've spent looking for the day lookouts would report to see Morgans Heavy Frigate on the horizon. Years I've spent trying to locate his hidden cove, and when I did I made sure not a single ship came in our out of his hideout for months on end. 20 years, and the "Great" Captain Morgan has never sought me out to retrieve his treasure or his honor. Years ago I deemed his actions, or lack thereof, cowardly.
Morgan still sails these waters for certain however. He has not met a watery end as so many before him have. Ship are still lundered and sunk by his flag with survivors bearing his name on thier terrified lips.
<Lookouts in the crow's nest reports sails to the south>
Havana? Already? Treasure Galleons.........a Treasure Fleet, very interesting. Seems this final trip home will not be as peaceful as I had expected.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In a nut shell, I just completed a near perfect game last night. I was playing on Adventurer, which is normal for me unless I'm looking for a fight with Rogue. Of all the things I managed to pul of an find and defeat, Morgan is the one thing left incomplete. He is literally the one that got away and it irks the hell out of me. I checked all the pirate coves and hit up taverns from one side of the map to the other and not aword of him. He was still active because his ship kill counter was steadly going up on his Top 10 list. I'll try to attach a screenie once I get home of my end game summery as proof of claims, but has anyone else ever run into a situation like this where a Named pirate was a complete no show? I don't know, just irks me as I said. Typically I go after him asap to get the L.Frigate, but he was just never around this game. So, I kept blackbeards frigate instead lol. He didnt need it anymore anyway. Sailor

Rook
Managing Editor/Writer
www.hookedgamers.com
TheSpanishRenegade
Cutthroat

1674 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't say that it ever happened to me... I usually wait about ten years to whoop the other famous pirates. By that time they almost triple their (and afterwards MY) gold.

But one thing i know quite well: If he had appeared before you finished your game, your loot-counter probably would have gone through the roof... Greedy
SlipperyJim
Cutthroat

2045 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once waited about 20 years before bagging Morgan, and he had about 40,000 gold on him at that point.... Greedy

That said, now I make a point of bagging the named pirates as quickly as possible. Yes, it's less gold overall. However, when you're trying to play without dividing the plunder, then you really need every gold coin that you can get in the early game. 40,000 gold in 20 years' time doesn't help me as much as 10,000 gold right now when my men are about to mutiny....

Um, what was the question? Something about Cowardly Morgan...?

Right, you can't find Morgan. I'm assuming that you've already been tipped off about his home Pirate Haven, right? Then he should be there, or somewhere nearby. The named pirates will sail off in search of loot, but they always come "home" eventually. Make sure that you're at the right place by sailing into the harbor and trying to talk to the Captain. If it's Morgan's Haven, then the top choice will say something like "Talk to Henry Morgan". If he's at sea, then it'll say "Talk to Henry Morgan (at sea)" and the option will be disabled.

I guess you have three choices:
1) Go to Morgan's Haven and sail in circles until he appears.
2) Decide that 125 points is good enough (you'll still retire as a Governor), end your game, and start again.
3) Conclude that it's a bug, and get Rupert to help you write an angry letter to Firaxis. Wink

On other, semi-random thought: It's possible that Morgan could be trapped by some weird pathfinding bug. In other words, his ship somehow got into a place from which the AI can't find an exit. If that's what happened, then he could be anywhere, but it's still more likely for him to be somewhere in the general vicinity of his Haven.

Good luck, matey! Thumbs Up

What? Oh, NOW I get it....
TheDon
Rigger

16718 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found Roc Brasiliano stuck in the bay of Tampa once. He couldn't get out. I went in and defeated him and then I almost couldn't get out. Strange happenings in Tampa Bay, boys.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Cp. Kain
Gunner

4815 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

- Question.
- In the coves we be havin' a chance to be talkin' to the named cap'ns...why to?
- They always say bad things about us...and die...

Perhaps on the rare occasion pursuing the right course demands an act of Rock'n'Roll, Rock'n'Roll itself can be the right course?
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: