Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Royal Sloop is me favourite
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Life at Sea Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
van boelken
Seaman

492 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:31 am    Post subject: Royal Sloop is me favourite Reply with quote

This is beautifull vessel. It sails like pinnace or mail runner, but it has 20 guns and it's a force to be reckon with.

Me be preferin' swiftie barkies over da clumzy big ships.
I like to catch the best wind and go directly to board, evading salvos, but not before copper platin' and iron scantlings.

Van Boelken

Smooth Sailing
Cp. Kain
Gunner

4815 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

- Yet another RS fan. Come visit my poll here "The Royal Sloop"
- We be dominatin'! Twisted Evil

Perhaps on the rare occasion pursuing the right course demands an act of Rock'n'Roll, Rock'n'Roll itself can be the right course?
Mooncusser
Powder Monkey

1572 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got to say that I am a fan of the Royal Sloop in specific, and the Sloop class, in general.

I will admit that I have yet to really try the Frigate class, but the Sloop, Pinnace and Brig classes just seem to "feel" right to me as a pirate. I envision pirates as sweeping in quickly, doing some quick, shock damage and stealing away with the prize. The Frigate class seems to me to be a bit more of a true warship that wouldn't be so capable of quickly slipping in, hitting its target, and then slipping away.

Between the Sloop, Pinnace and Brig, the Sloop is a nice, happy medium. It's big enough to carry some goods, crew and gunds, but not so big that it can't sail well against the wind or lose manueverability in close combat.

Of course, as I play at higher levels in the game, I am starting to appreciate the ability of the Brig to take a little more damage in the case that I happen to get clipped by a War Galleon broadside...
headrock
Rigger

354 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mooncusser wrote:
It's big enough to carry some goods, crew and gunds, but not so big that it can't sail well against the wind or lose manueverability in close combat.

Ummm, last I checked, the sloop stops when sailing against the wind. Just like most other ships. (Gotta love that barque).

Mooncusser
Powder Monkey

1572 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohhhh... fine. Smile

Not completely against the wind - but anything narrower than a broad reach. I get really frustrated with some of the larger ships when I turn too close to the wind and lose too much speed and manueverability. With the Sloops (and Pinnaces) I can stay pretty close to the wind and still adjust quickly when dodging incoming fire.

Part of this is related to the fact that I often don't pay attention to where I start the battle (have to start doing that more). So, sometimes I find myself downwind of the target and I have to find a way to get up to him without taking too much damage.

In one of my games I have just been taught a few lessons in being too aggressive and am presently stuck trying to build back my fleet from my current flagship - a wounded Treasure Galleon...
SlipperyJim
Cutthroat

2045 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frigate-class ships are really, really fast when they have the wind on their side. In fact, I think a pimped-out SotL can be faster than a Royal Sloop when running with the wind, especially if the wind is strong.

On the other hand, 2-knot winds won't push a big ship anywhere quickly.... Razz

What? Oh, NOW I get it....
headrock
Rigger

354 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SlipperyJim wrote:
Frigate-class ships are really, really fast when they have the wind on their side. In fact, I think a pimped-out SotL can be faster than a Royal Sloop when running with the wind, especially if the wind is strong.

Well actually that's because With the Wind is the Frigate's best sailing point, while for the sloop it goes from Broad Reach to Beam Reach. However, I've never seen a sloop go as fast as a frigate can in its own best sailing point, not even with amazing winds. Smile

kvollmer
Cutthroat

6103 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:48 pm    Post subject: frigates Reply with quote

In strong winds a frigate is like a rocket going with the wind. But the Royal sloop can maintain a decent speed going just about any direction except directly against the wind. It won't be able to chase down a frigate with the wind at its back. (Those huge sails help a lot) But going cross wind or otherwise a royal sloop is more then a match in speed.

But I don't think thats what sells the royal sloop to me. The ability to dodge salvo's is the selling point. She's fast but she's more agile then fast.

The BoW is a nice ship too because she can give a broadside that is just a step below that of the lowest level frigate. The BoW is very nice and whenever I get my hands on one I agonize forever about using that ship for my flagship and just getting rid of my Royal Sloop. But I keep going back to the royal sloop.

PS. Royal sloops don't have the speed of Pinntances. War Canoes which many people don't know is suppose to be considered the smallest pinntence will sail circles around a royal sloop. The best tactic there is the aim real good and try to land one good broadside on them before they get out of range. The War Canoe will be critically damanged with one good broadside from a Royal Sloop. Which is why no one really uses it for piracy. Imagine what would happenen if a Flag Galleon gave her a broadside. (However you the only reason you would chase down a War Canoe is for promotion points.)

Kirk Vollmer
Don't ever call me Captain Kirk.
Valparaiso University Alumni; Class of 2004
headrock
Rigger

354 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 12:04 am    Post subject: Re: frigates Reply with quote

kvollmer wrote:
In strong winds a frigate is like a rocket going with the wind. But the Royal sloop can maintain a decent speed going just about any direction except directly against the wind. It won't be able to chase down a frigate with the wind at its back. (Those huge sails help a lot) But going cross wind or otherwise a royal sloop is more then a match in speed.

Much like in airplane dogfights, speed usually defeats maneuverability. If you can stay away from the enemy, you can circle it as well. Just not up close, but rather outside firing distance. Then you get to choose your own field of battle. If the enemy AI was any good, a frigate would try to run away from your royal sloop, then, just outside range, it would suddenly turn sideways and release a chainshot volley, or wait until you turn to fire at her, and shoot you with roundshot. A 48-gun can be spread out so that you'd have a very hard time avoiding it.

Quote:
But I don't think thats what sells the royal sloop to me. The ability to dodge salvo's is the selling point. She's fast but she's more agile then fast.

As you may have noticed, reefing the sails in a Royal Sloop is like suicide. You suddenly lose all your speed and all your advantage. But in a Frigate-class, reefing the sails gives you a huge boost to turning radius. When you learn to use it properly, you can avoid cannon volleys completely, even volleys from another SOL. The Frigate usually stays at long range from you, using speed, again, as its advantage. Since it has to many guns, it can easily spray you with cannonballs at long-range, filling the area with so many cannonballs that it would be hard for enemies to dodge. And then, when the enemy releases its own volley, the frigate is far enough away that it has time to reef its sails, make a sharp turn, raise its sails back filling them with wind, and speed away sideways or away from the place where the enemy's cannonballs are going to land. Once I learned how to do this, I don't get shot anymore. At all.

Quote:
The BoW is a nice ship too because she can give a broadside that is just a step below that of the lowest level frigate.

Exactly like the lowest level frigate, actually. However the tactics for using a BoW are different, of course, because it lacks the speed advantage and has better turning and wind-utilization instead.

Quote:
The War Canoe will be critically damanged with one good broadside from a Royal Sloop. Which is why no one really uses it for piracy. [...] (However the only reason you would chase down a War Canoe is for promotion points.)

Heh, actually most of the more accomplished pirates on this forum will tell you that the best ship they know for piracy is the War Canoe. The key is not to fire at the enemy at all. Keep to chain-shot distance and avoid his shots, then suddenly turn perpendicular to the wind and speed into his ship at 17-18 knots. You'll get there before he gets the chance to release another volley, and hopla it's a swordfight.

-Edit-
Forgot to mention this - The frigate is fastest with the wind even when the wind is at 2 knots. Don't forget that the enemy is affected by the wind all the same.

Beastie Bea
Powder Monkey

67 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another big Royal Sloop fan here. I'm fairly new to the game, so maybe ignorance is bliss, but when I captured a well equipped frigate and tried to use it I was pretty useless. Now, I freely admit I have much to work on in my strategies, but I don't know that I'll change my mind. I love the agility of the RS. That and 20 guns lets me dodge and weave around a ship getting off chain shot and grape shot before running at the enemy and boarding or, quite often, having them surrender.

Hooray for Royal Sloops! Smile
Capt.Lazarus
Powder Monkey

83 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Another big Royal Sloop fan here.
Sailor

if im not in a war canoe..its the Royal Sloop for sure!
Swordeater
Seaman

2009 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I'm a Royal Sloop fan too. They're soo goooood against those monstrous Ships of the Line!
Unless she gives you a big broadside... *waves from the sea*
I agree that the Indian War Canoe is commonly used for piracy. Being the fastest ship in the game, it's very good for escaping if you somehow get crippled in crew and get attacked by a Sloop of War... Sailor
rupertlittlebear
Helmsman

10381 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted a scenario at swash where a war canoe with reduced crew and not having all the fencing gear, you take a Sotl.

Sotl no biggy. Learn to board.
headrock
Rigger

354 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the Fluyt vs. 80-gun SOL scenario as well.

Learn to board. Wink

Luiz
Cutthroat

2182 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep . The Royal Sloop and a Frigate is all I need . Although recently discussed, a BoW has the same stats as the Frigate but slower .
Airsaw loves his BoW and I guess it is cool Sailor
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Life at Sea All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: