Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

I gotcher Treasure Fleet
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Airsaw
Rigger

3281 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:49 am    Post subject: I gotcher Treasure Fleet Reply with quote

Just when you were thinking I was running out of BS, I managed to come up with MORE! This is the old web format I've been using. This time I changed my resolution to 800x600 so the letters don't overlap...ugh.

Treasure Fleet?
Rigger

354 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha! Splendid! I guess this means you win the contest, dunnit? Well, it was a rather violent game, but that was certainly a MERCHANT career, no doubt!

Two thumbs up. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Where do you get the energy and time to do all this? (Loooong Campaign + Visual Presentation)

Airsaw
Rigger

3281 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, HR, you gotta type fast. I type real fast. I can type as fast as I think. (One or the other may be kind of slow.) Secondly, you have to be organized. I'm using a method here I used to produce a 35-page weekly newspaper; copy fitting, picture sizing, layout and design, cutlines, headlines. Since I've done this for a lot of years, it takes no time at all. Having a pc with graphics programs and word processing makes it ten times faster. Thirdly, I wrote features for years. I had to shoot my own photos for them, too. So, I am almost constantly looking at things in terms of photography.

What's amazing about this game is the infinite number of compositions that unfold as you play. You get moments that appear, then disappear never to be seen again. Some you see repeatedly, but in flashes. I use ScreenHunter screen capture which is very versatile. Then, I use my photo processing skills to crop. I shoot batches as I play, then when I'm done I spend about fifteen minutes cropping them, keeping and discarding.

The way the game unfolds, certain themes present themselves much like in real life. Should that happen, then I stage some screen shots. The fleet portraits for example, are two from about twenty I have on file. To get certain angles, I'll go into a battle and go to chase view. And, like that, so I'm gathering material, writing the scenario and organizing it as I go along.

Assembling it in HTML, I use Publisher (sin sin), which I've used since it first came out. So, I'm pretty quick with it. I'm trying out Adobe's Paint Shop Pro X and have fourteen days left before I have to decide whether to buy it. It's only 90 bucks (or so), so I think I will. It puts text on the pictures very neatly. I didn't proofread that one, either. I left out a possessive apostrophe and a close quote on it.

These presentations are rather small compared to laying out a newspaper. Doing that, you had to be fast because of the printer's deadline. The presses roll when they roll and if your stuff ain't done, you're SCREWED! It's like how you get to Carnegie Hall, practice practice practice.
Rigger

354 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What's amazing about this game is the infinite number of compositions that unfold as you play. You get moments that appear, then disappear never to be seen again. Some you see repeatedly, but in flashes.

Heh, yeah, I know, it's so lovely mainly because it's just like real life - you don't know what to expect, and by the time it's over if you weren't quick with the camera you've got nothing. I got a few nice ones on file, but damn the screenshots in this game, they are hard to take.

Quote:
I use ScreenHunter screen capture which is very versatile.

Ah! That's what I was going to ask! Good. Was looking for a good one.

Quote:
To get certain angles, I'll go into a battle and go to chase view. And, like that, so I'm gathering material, writing the scenario and organizing it as I go along.

I've never been comfortable with chase view... Guess it can be rather nice for shooting purposes... can you actually play sea battles in chase view only? Never managed, myself.

Quote:
I'm trying out Adobe's Paint Shop Pro X and have fourteen days left before I have to decide whether to buy it. It's only 90 bucks (or so), so I think I will. It puts text on the pictures very neatly.

I'm a photoshop man myself... damn useful stuff, but nasty to keep running in the Pirates Background...

Quote:
It's like how you get to Carnegie Hall, practice practice practice.

I'll get right on it.

Matey...
Cutthroat

1083 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome story mate, don't seem to know how you can come up with all those ideas.

"How's it going to be Jack, are we going to be 2 immortals who batttle untill the Judgment Day, and the trumpets sound?"

"Or you could surrender!"

Very Happy
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: