Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Memoirs of Capt. Hook
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Captain Hook
Powder Monkey

813 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:55 am    Post subject: Memoirs of Capt. Hook Reply with quote

These are the voyages of English privateer captain James Hook. They begin in the year 1640, will be played on Rougue difficulty with save games only being used to stop play, never to recover from a bad situation. I'm going to play this game in the spirit it was intended, meaning no exploits, and dividing the plunder every few years.

Arrow January 19, 1640 - I've arrived in St. Kitts having taken command of the pirate ship revenge. I've learned that my countrmen are currently at war with both the Spanish and Dutch which should provide ample opportunity for someone of my skills. I've recruited some out of work sailors in the local tavern and I'm off to make my fortune.

Arrow January 31, 1640 - Caught sight of my first target: a dutch cargo fluyt and engaged her. We hit with a couple broadsides but she didn't take much damage and was alot faster than she looked. Rather surprising to see a ship of that tonnage outrunning my sloop. I think I caught site of that Dutch Captain goading me as he sped away Razz.

Arrow February 1st, 1640 - Didn't take long to find my next target. I jumped a sloop commanded by Dutch smugglers as it left the port of St. Martin. The smuggler captain twer none too please about me interupting his voyage and attaked straight away Shocked . I only managed to get off one broadside before he brought his ship alongside mine and commenced the boarding action. Fortunately, his skill with the steel wasn't quite up to snuff and after a quick dual I won the day. Smile

Arrow February 12th, 1640 - We attempted to sail back to St. Kitts to refit and unload excess cargo. Seemingly out of nowhere we came under assault by a pinace flying Dutch color and bearing the flag of the Dutch royal navy. At first we attempted to flee, but it was clear that this ship had been highly modified and was far faster and more maneuverable. Mad
I thought we were goners for sure, but the Dutch captain, confident of victory brought his ship in close. I seized the moment to ram his vessel and forced him to taste cold steel Sailor. After the battle I inspected the Dutch vessel and was so impressed I transfered my flag over renaming her Flying Dutchman. With both of our vessels badly damaged, we limped back to port for repairs.

Arrow February 16th, 1640. - The Revenge was so badly damaged that I simply sold her for scrap rather than investing the money needed to fix her up. After all, I already had a superior vessel under my command and no sense in spending good money to fix er up for sentimental resons. I did get a bit of good news as the local governor had heard of my actions against the Dutch and bestowed the title of Captain on me. I even got to meet his daughter who seemed quite pleasant. I hope to get back to see her in the near future. Fully repaired and provisioned, we departed again.

Arrow March 16, 1640 - It has been nearly a month in Dutch waters and pickins have been might slim. Sad. The crew was itching for some action when we again tangled with the Dutch coast guard (another pinnace). It was clear that this new vessel wasn't in the same league as the Dutchman. I danced around real smart and put a few quick shots into her. I was rather pleased with myself, confident of my vessels superiority when I got caught with my pants down as a direct hit knocked down my mast. The Dutch captain moved in for the kill and boarded my vessel. He was the finest swordsman I'd yet encountered and for a while it appeared I may have breathed my last. However, in the end I prevailed again sending him overboard. The damage to my flagship was extensive and it was all I could do to get back to port still intact. While taking out those naval vessels made me look good in front of the men and to the English Crown, it sure didn't pay well. I found that I couldn't even afford to repair the Flying Dutchman Mad . So I put back out to sea in a captured Dutch sloop, in dire need of some quick cash...
Howie
Helmsman

45890 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice writing Captain Hook. Very interesting. I enjoyed reading it. Thanks for posting it. Very Happy
Powder Monkey

813 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear someone liked it. These stories are in progress and I plan to continue, hopefully picking up the pace a bit with future installments. Surprised
Captain Hook
Powder Monkey

813 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrow May 16th, 1640 - Looking to make a quick buck, I transfered my flag to the captured smuggler sloop Lucky Strike. She had a few upgrades and modifications, but I primarily chose her because she was the only ship in my fleet that didn't require me to bail water out of in order to keep afloat. After a rough start in the caribean, I caught my first big break. A fat dutch west Indiaman! Surprised After putting a broadside of round and following that up with a broadside of grape we proceeded to board her and quickly subdued the demoralized crew. Arr! During the battle caught site of a sail on the horizon. Clearly a galleon of some sort, but we never got close enough to tell if she were a merchant or military vessel.

Arrow May 24th, 1640 Returned to the port of Nevis so that repairs could be commenced on Flying Dutchman. I was shocked to learn that the large vessel I had spotted a day earlier was part of a Spanish invasion force that wrested Antingua from English control:boom:. The local populace in Nevis were all up in arms about it. Being one of the few captains with actual combat experience the local Guv promoted me to Major on the spot.

Arrow May 26th, 1640 - Back aboard the Dutchman I set sail towards "Spanish" Antigua hoping to pick off a few prizes Smooth Sailing. Caught sight of a lumbering Spanish galleon and after some slick maneuvring I attacked her with the weatherguage. Having learned my lesson from a previous battle, I danced around her broadsides using my superior maneuverability to its fullest advantage. I knocked out a few of her guns and then closed for boarding action. This Spanish captain was no more skilled than the dutch merchants I'd beaten before and was quickly subdued. I didn't have long to save the victory however as we were chased all the way back to Nevis by the Spanish Coast guard.

Arrow July 5th, 1640 - Captured 3 ships and sank a fourth last month. I was having success but the "big score" has thus far eluded me. We were leving port preparing to head back on a raid thru Dutch and Spanish waters when we caught site of a Pirate brig loaded to the brim with men and on a course for St. Kitts. Now, I'm no big fan of the Crown but I am a patriot and nobody is going to raid my favorite port while I'm on the job. I closed for battle Sailor and after some deft manuevring placed myself in position to board. We were outnumbered but my hand picked crew on Flying Dutchman was an even match for near twice their number. We routed the enemy and seized the brig.

Arrow August 11th, 1640 - I recieved a message via courier that the guv of Nevis wished to see me. Now, I was naturally curious but at the same time apprehensive. Never the less, being on more or less good terms I paid the Guv a visit. He presented me with a state dinner and congratulated me on my success. Finally, he told me why he wanted me to come: He wanted me to lead an attack and attempt to retake Antigua. He promoted me to Colonel along with a nice grant of land to entice me. Despite it all, I was about to say no when he introduced me to his fine young Daughter. I tell ya she could talk shark into giving up his teeth...

Arrow August 16th, 1640 - I'd gathered as many recruits as I could from Nevis and St. Kitts then I set my sites on French mercenaries in Monsteratt and Guadeloope. In all, I ammassed nearly 200 men and embarked towards Antigua and whatever fate had in store...
Cp. Kain
Gunner

4815 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

- Yeah...Not that's a log. But something's missin'.
- More blood, please, me bucko? Twisted Evil

Perhaps on the rare occasion pursuing the right course demands an act of Rock'n'Roll, Rock'n'Roll itself can be the right course?
Captain Hook
Powder Monkey

813 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrow August 20th, 1640 - The Battle for Antigua My force stood 200 men strong and sailed north from Guadaelope. We snuck in under the cover of nightfall and began our attack. The Spanish apparently had some problems reinforcing the garrison and they had no more than 60 men defendin the fort but they had plenty of provisions and seemed intent on staying there waiting for reinforcements. I order the attack on the fort, but their reinforced position cost us dearly. One man was blasted to bloody chunks by cannon fire not 10 feet from me, and we lost three dozen men in our attempt to breach the walls. Finally into the fort we went and I was confronted with the captain of the guard! I pulled my rapier and charged him Duelling Back and forth we dueled while battle raged around us. Finally I began to see a pattern to his attacks. He went for a high chop and I caught him with a thrust to his thigh sending blood flying and driving him backwords. He wasn't done yet though and he attempted a thrust of his own which I quickly paried and countered with a low slash. This knocked him off balance. Before he could recover I finished the job with a thrust directly into his left ambdomen which sent him to the ground spitting up blood. His men lost heart after that and surrendered shortly thereafter. Antigua was once again in English control and my men and I feasted in the governor's mansion.

Arrow November 1st, 1640 - I took the remains of my invasion force and sailed north to raid Dutch shipping. We plucked a fine cargo laiden fluyt and I was about to head home when we were jumped by the Dutch Brig Mars flying the colors of the Dutch Navy. She had us outnumbered and outgunned, but while the Flying Dutchman was nimble as a dancer, the Mars moved more like a sailor with a peg leg. I sliced through the water and put in a couple shots of grape that cut a good portion of her crew to pieces. Confident after our victory in Anigua, I ramed her amid ship and my crew and I boarded her. The captain was no match for my blade and quickly surrendered. I left him adrift in a life boat and made for St. Kitts.

Arrow November 5th, 1640 - While in St. Kitts I was approached by an old Sailor who claimed he was a lieutenant under the legendary Stede Bonet. He had a map that he claimed held the location of a large tressure buried by Stede for safe keeping. As far fetched as it sounded, something about him led me to believe him. I bought the map for him and set course for waters off San Juan. If nothing else, I figured I could pluck some Spanish Prizes while I was there Greedy.

Arrow November 25th, 1640 - We put in to a tiny settlement of Maidenhead on San Juan Isle. We sailed straigh through Spanish Waters and didnt come across a single galleon! I'm starting to wonder if they weren't tipped off... As we sailed into port something caught my eye. A large dead tree overlooking the settlement. If the map I had was correct the treasure was a mere 30 paces north of there! I asked the men to accompany me on an evening scroll and to bring their shovels! Finding Treasure X marked the spot and we began to Dig. The men seemed to think this was a waste of time, but we'd come too far to not give it a try. Suddenly we struck pay dirt! A dozen chests containing more than 6000 dubloons! Buddies Needless to say, we did some celebratin' that night.

Arrow Janury 6th, 1641 - We nabbed a couple of Spanish Galleons sailing back through the waters off San Juan. We encountered a Spanish Sloop flying Navy colors. I was in no mood for a rough fight for little money so we turned and ran confident that there was no way she could outrun the Dutchman. Imagine my surprise when she not only was keeping up, but gaining on me. I'd turn and fire a broadside every now n then to get some breathing room, but any gain that I had was brief. He chased me through the day and night and into the next day. Finally as night approached on the second day I came to the boys and told em we could either keep running, or turn and fight. Everyone to a man chose to turn and fight. We came about and charged ahead full sail. I could tell the Spaniards were surprised because they attempted to turn and run themselves. We ran alongside and threw across boarding ropes and then commenced the slaughter Guns Blazing. I was all business with the enemy captain. I gashed his left thigh with a might thrust and nearly decapitated him with a chop to his head so fierce that his entire crew gasped. As he fell back dead I howled like a mad man and challenged any commers, but ofcourse no one stepped up. After the battle we all agreed that we were due for a rest and saied for home.

Arrow March 15, 1641 - We put into St Kitts, sold off plundered cargo and all the prizes. I told the mates that all good things must come to an end, and that it was time to divide the plunder. Ofcourse they didn't seem to upset to finally recieve the fruits of their hard work. I came away with a fine 5200 gold pieces. Enough to buy my own fleet... Ofcourse not 1 month after we parted ways did I start to get that itch Sailor.
Captain Hook
Powder Monkey

813 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrow December 15th, 1641 - The Governor of St. Kitts lead a team of investors looking to capitalize on my skills. With their financial backing, and a shinny new Admiral title that the Governor bestowed on me, the Flying Dutchman was manned and provisioned. Set a course for the Spanish Main maties! Smooth Sailing

Arrow December 17th, 1641 - We were making such great time I took the opportunity to "water ski". Its a new form or sport where you strap a 3 foot plank to each foot and ye are pulled by a rope behind yer boat. Twas great fun.

Arrow December 23rd, 1641 - We were engaged by the Spanish War Galleon Perla. Brand' spanking new, the paint on her was still wet. She carried about 30 guns and I knew that if we took a direct hit we'd likely be swimming in wood chips. I sailed circles around her at first getting in a few quick hits. But blast if the winds didn't change at just the wrong moment. I took a shot of round right through the main sail which slowed is considerable. Exploding After that those Spanish Gunners started to get more accurate. Eventually I got desperate. Realizing I couldn't outrun them in the shape I was in, I attacked. As usual, we were outnumbered by the enemy captain was no great swordsman by any stretch. I carved my initials in his chest before skewering him altogether. I must've been pretty impressive because a fair number of his crew were begging to join us when the battle were done Worship. As for the ship, I'm sure she'll fetch a fine price back in St. Kitts.

Arrow January 12th, 1642 - Stopped off in the pirate haven "Blacktown", home of the notorius pirate L'oudanis. The old bucaneer was out to see, but there were plenty of men in the local tavern looking for work and I need some replacements after the losses I took fighting the Perla. After that, we departed to Barbados where I upgraded the Dutchman with some additional hammocks which allowed her to carry more men.

Arrow January 14th, 1642 - While in town I visted the governors mansion. As an admiral, he was honored to have me as his guest. I also met his daughter Victoria. I tell ye it was love at first sight Loving. I took her to dinner and dancing at a ball. Before I left the next day she presented me a gift: a beautiful set of swords. She said that she had gotten them from her late uncle who was an officer in the army. She said she wanted me to have them to keep me safe. I admit I was a might touched by the gift. Many tears were shed when I finally left for port. Crying or Very sad

Arrow February 3rd, 1642 - We were sailing south of Barbados when we encounted a spanish Fast Galleon raiding English shipping. We closed to engage but got more than we bargained for. The gunners on that ship were very good. The Flying Dutchman had taken an awful beating. I tried to maneuvar but we got hit with a shot that blew out our mast and that was all she wrote. I ordered the men left alive to abandon ship. We rowed away and the Spaniards kept blasting away at the dutchman. She capsized and went down. I was a might angry so when we were picked up by the Perla I was anxious for a fight. We caught up with the spaniard and commenced to fight. A few quick broadsides then we pulled close for boarding action. I got to use the new swords I picked up in Barbados. They were finely balanced and had quite the edge. I made mincemeat of the enemy captain cutting off each limb as retribution for him costing me the Dutchman.

Arrow March 1st, 1641 - Sailing along in a ship named Perla just wasn't going to work. I figured if this ship was going to be my flag she needed a right proper and intimidating name. Finally, I settled on the name Wayward Warrior. Sailor We set a course back for Spanish Waters near Trinidad and Margarita. I must say sailing in a big ship like this had its advantages. All we needed was to hit with one broadside and most of them merchant captains would fall all over themselves to run the white flag up what was left of their mast. I also had the confidence of knowing I could go guns to guns with any ship we was likely to meet.

Arrow April 12th, 1641 - It twern't long before them Spaniards sent more pirate hunters after me. This time they came in the form of a speedy Sloop. This time I was the big lumbering beast and they were the nimble cat dancing on the edge of a knife. After realizing his broadsides were just scratching the surface the enemy captain came alongside and tried to take us intact. That was his fatal mistake. He ended up another notch on my belt as I cut him from naval to nose and spilled his guts on my freshly washed deck. Victorious The ship he was riding in was pretty nice as well. A Royal Sloop with some fine modifications.

Arrow May 12th, 1641 - I've transfered my flag to the Royal sloop. While I enjoyed my time on the Warrior, she was simply too expesnive to maintain. I sold her to the governor of Barbados for use in his private fleet. I've named my new flagship Jolly Roger and I'm anxious to bring her into battle. Smooth Sailing
TheDon
Rigger

16718 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where's the part about fighting Peter Pan?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Captain Hook
Powder Monkey

813 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrow February 1st 1644 - Its been nearly two years since my last log entry. In June 1942 We ecountered a Spanish pirate hunter. He came on me so fast I didn't have time to react and before I knew it we were in a full on melee. The enemy captain was very very good. We dueled back and forth but I failed to block one of his thrusts and I took a vicious hit to my left hand which mangled it. I was backed into a corner and found myself surrounded by the enemy. I had no choice but to surrender. My crew lost heart after that, but a good number of them somehow managed to escape on the Jolly Roger. I ended up in a Spanish court. I also lost my left hand in that battle. Oh the irony that a man named hook would end up with a hook on his left hand... Sad

Despite my reputation my rank as an English Admiral did afford me some protection. The Spaniards wouldn't risk hanging me and causing the same to happen to their own officers captured by the English. But that didn't stop em from throwing me in a dungeon in Trinidad. After a year of torture and mistreatment I managed to pry loose the bars on my prison window. I managed to bribe a guard and get a coded letter out to my men. MY crew was never that large, but they were loyal. Plans were laid and I escaped one night to rendevous. We saild out of port under the cover of darkness but I vowed to have my revenge

Arrow October 6th, 1644 - I've been spending the past 6 months taking Spanish ships near Cumana. I'd sell off the goods I got in Dutch Curaco, my own little isle of refuge on the main. The Dutch were more than happy to do business with me since Holland was at war with Spain at the time. All the while, I gathered strength and plotted my revenge.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: