Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Deadmans Chest
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbsmith
Cutthroat

835 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:51 am    Post subject: Deadmans Chest Reply with quote

I'm sure Some of ye already know of this,,the New PoC movie
Deadman's Chest is comeing out this summer.
here be a link for ye to see more bits,,helps if you have a high speed connection.
http://disney.go.com/disneypictures/pirates

Personaly,,,i think that this here movie should be unofficialy rated R!
Howie
Helmsman

45890 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it looks real cool jbsmith. Thanks for posting the link! Smile
Cutthroat

4739 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like good fun.
jbsmith
Cutthroat

835 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahoy thar Howie!
Cap'n Jack is back!

i just viewed the trailer several times,,so much happens!,,if ye blink you miss something. Likes the shot of Jack with a bunch of eyes painted on his
face,,then he opens his own eyes,kinda freaky that.
So,,,Cap'n Jack owes his soul to Davey Jones does he?

-------is that Cap'n Squid?!!!!!! playing that part? informing Cap'n Jack of this debt?--------

Aye,,this does certainly looks interesting.
jbsmith
Cutthroat

835 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just looked at the concept art,,,that Cap'n Squid looking guy is
none other than Davey Jones heself!
other good stuff there too.
jbsmith
Cutthroat

835 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One Last tip for ye alls,,
click on "trailer" on the wooden board that appears by Jolly Roger.
you now have two choices,,"Super Bowl Tv Commercial" or
"trailer"
choose "trailer"
then click on "other viewing options"
choose "Windows Media Player high"
then
Right click on the viewing area, in the box go to zoom,,,here you can select
"Full Screen",,,instead of seeing the trailer in the small window,
you can now see it fullscreen!
Sonicsfan
Cutthroat

1729 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope that it's better then pirates of the carrabean,i hate that movie,no realism at all,cursed pirates who become skeletal-pirates at night,how unrealistic.
TheDon
Rigger

16718 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sonicsfan wrote:
I hope that it's better then pirates of the carrabean,i hate that movie,no realism at all,cursed pirates who become skeletal-pirates at night,how unrealistic.

So why do you play SM Pirates? It's not realistic, either. Oh, wait... I know. You do it because it's FUN, right? The same reason many people like the movie Pirates of the Caribbean. It's FUN. It's entertaining. Realism? Schmealism. Let your hair down, dude. Get a life. Have some fun. Let yourself be entertained.

Or is the real reason you don't like the movie because you don't like Johnny Depp?

Reality is overrated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Howie
Helmsman

45890 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree the movie was a bit hokey at best but it was a good movie that was fun to watch. If we want something realistic then POC doesn't fit the bill.

For realism I guess a show on History Channel or some educational film would be best.

POC was a fantasy that just happened to have pirates as the main characters I think. Oh well. Wink
Rigger

16718 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howie wrote:
I agree the movie was a bit hokey at best but it was a good movie that was fun to watch. If we want something realistic then POC doesn't fit the bill.

For realism I guess a show on History Channel or some educational film would be best.

POC was a fantasy that just happened to have pirates as the main characters I think. Oh well. Wink

...and it was based on a Disneyland ride. How's that for realism? Sailor
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Murray
Powder Monkey

175 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still... I *CAN* understand how Sonicsfan feels to some degree. The POC movie did tend to take itself serious in a realistic way, atleast up until Barbosa reveals himself as an undead.

Personally, the biggest realism snags I hit are technical ones. For instance, how on earth is the Black Pearl faster than the Interceptor when it has large, gaping holes in its sails. Stupid stuff like that.

In the end though, POC was a great movie. I have high expectations for the sequal.

EDDS ((Evil, Dreaded, DoorStop))

-Murray
Howie
Helmsman

45890 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Murray it definitely did take liberties that were very unbelievable. But it is Hollywood. If it wasn't like that then it wouldn't be any fun to watch.

Who would want to watch a movie with a bunch of guys hobbling around on a peg leg with a black eye patch on saying Arrrr. all the time. That would be kind of silly and unrealistic. LOL. Laughing Wink
Cutthroat

835 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well,,it is entertainment,it's fantasy with a bit of the Twilightzone thrown in,it's an escape from the humdrum mundane real world of going to work,paychecks and neverending bills to pay.
No more unreal or un-believable than movies that have faster than
light star ships, laser swords, the "force", klingons, aliens that burst out of
peoples bellys, or a car chase scene when a car hits a tubleweed and the
tumbleweed somehow launches the car 50ft thru the air,,or in army war
movies,,ever notice how those watch towers always seem to made out of highly explosive wood and blow when small arms fire erupts,,or the single hand grenade that explodes with the force of a full battery of 155mm HE shells, a tornado scene where the tornado picks up a gasoline tanker semi
truck and hurls it like a toy but does not scratch the little pick up truck that drives right up to it,a volcanoe in LA, an ice ige that developes almost instantly,space shuttles landing on asteroids, a flaming eye that lives on top of a stone castle watchtower that apeears to be as tall as the sears tower,or school kids playing a variation of basketball riding on flying brooms,or just about any other hollywood movie you can think of.

So why is it so hard to beleive that a cursed- supernatural ship can outsail
anything else? The laws of science and physics do not apply there in the
supernatural world.

POC was NEVER meant to be factual, or a documentary. it is a Fantasy,,
just like playing this game is. a pirate that retires and becomes a well
repsected member of society?
The Vast majority of REAL pirates were
either killed,murdered, or cuaght and hanged or died penniless paupers,
or died by disease.

This new POC is sure to dissapoint some,,,it has unreal caracters,,
Davey Jones,the fictional Jack Sparrow and the ship Flying Dutchman.

OR,,,,
You can relax,,forget about reality,,kick your shoes off,,grab a pint of Ale,
sit back and enjoy a tall sea story.
TheDon
Rigger

16718 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbsmith wrote:
So why is it so hard to beleive that a cursed- supernatural ship can outsail anything else? The laws of science and physics do not apply there in the supernatural world.

The same holds true if you play on Swashbuckler level. I've had Treasure Galleons outrun my large frigate. Shocked Shocked Shocked
Wolfwood
Boatswain

33917 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

POC is hollywood and the trailer shows that the sequel will have fantasy elements in it as well. That's fine with me - I enjoyed the first one as a well-made pirate fantasy film and I'm sure I will enjoy the sequel as well.

In actual fact, every single attempt at making a "serious" pirate film has failed as far as I know (in fact, we have NO serious pirate films out there but I'm generalising here). The only ones that have succeeded even a bit are those with comic effects in them or very unrealistic settings in some other way.

I wish we did get a realistic film someday, just to show the viewers what kind of evil guys pirates really were and how they killed people at whim, had fun with their victims, let their ships rot from under them and generally spent most of their time drunk, whoring, and killing.

BUT... For someone who wants an enjoyable take at historical sail ships, I always recommend Master and Commander. There's no other film that succeeds at capturing the atmosphere as well as that one.
It is much better to be armed with a sword that has two edges than with an estoc [...], which is nothing more than a stick with a point. (Rapier Master G. Morsicato Pallavicini, La Scherma Illustrata, p. 14.)
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: