Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

The Life of the Great Pyrate Bannister Kelly of St. Kitts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
captainkidd78
Seaman

559 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 3:40 pm    Post subject: The Life of the Great Pyrate Bannister Kelly of St. Kitts Reply with quote

St. Christopher's Island (St. Kitts)

The descent looked very dangerous. Olivees Mountain stood nearly 3000 feet, a far cry from the flat lands of County Clare, Ireland. Bannister was then a boy of 9 years, preparing for a hard journey across the ocean to the New World. The voyage was hard, his father was impressed aboard a Navy ship on the way over. His mother told Bannister that his father would return, but Bannister knew that was very doubtful at best.

His mother, worked at multiple jobs, including in the arts of prostitution. Bannister worked as well, transporting finished sugar cane from around Grange Bay, all the way to the markets of Old Road Bay and Frigate Bay in the French section of the island. Work was very difficult, but to survive one had to work in this hard life. Perhaps, through good industry, a life of merchanting would be attainable. Or perhaps a job working with the Governor.

As Bannister got half-way down the mountain, he spotted a sail in the distance. It looked like a large ship, perhaps a snow. Bannister built up his fortitude and ran as fast as possible toward Fort Charles, on the edge of Old Road Bay. As he ran past Old Wingfields, an old mariner shook his head.

"Aye, that boy thinks his padre will come home," said Robert Vane. "He is a bright boy, reminds me of me brother Charles."

After drinking a jigger of rum, his friend Leonard nodded his agreement.

Bannister brought his sugar to the market and sold what he had to the needy merchants. There were three carracks in harbor that needed sugar in massive quantities. A large shortage was found in the port of New York and the St. Kitts sugar would fetch close to 120 pounds a barrel. Merchants purchased them at around 80-90 pounds a barrel in St. Kitts.

Bannister scanned the faces of all the sailors departing the arriving ships. With a deep sigh, Bannister Kelly turned around and began his walk back across the island back to Grange Bay, and then south to his home near Basseterre.
captainkidd78
Seaman

559 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The city of Basseterre resembled a very small-scale version of London, England. The population was close to 1,000, but with all the denizens of ships and such, it seemed very overcrowded. Bannister Kelly usually tried to avoid the city, rather taking his time by walking from Frigate Bay north toward Stapleton and then due west to Fort Charles. The sun was still shining, but it's descent had begun early it seems. Kelly left the teeming masses of streetwalkers and sailors and began his walk down long Cayon Street. As he reached the brushes surrounding the city, four men popped out from behind a broken cart.

"Ello lad. Might ye be carrying something of value," asked the leader. The men all were bearded, with swarthy features and a repugnant fish smell. One of them carried a knife and another a wooden stick.

"I carry nothing of my own, but some items of an honourable merchant from Grange Bay," replied a scared Bannister.

"And why would you consider any man honourable?," retorted the leader, who pulled out a cutlass.

Kelly threw down his empty cane bundle and began running full speed down Cayon Street, toward the fort. The four men were following closely, slowly gain on the boy. And they did catch him at Bloody Point, nearby the great fort. The four men began beating Kelly ruthlessly, kicking him about the head and stomach.

"Halt!," cried out two British guards, who came charging at the men with cutlasses high. The four men stopped beating on Kelly and approached the guards.

"I am sorry for this little problem. Perhaps this will do you some good," the leader said as he took out two full pieces of eight.

The British guards were spellbound. Two years of service would not pay as much as this rogue was preparing to hand over.

"I see nothing wrong here," said the tall guard, who kicked over Bannister.

All six men were now laughing and splitting up the money that Bannister had collected. The sun glanced briefly on the tall guard and both Bannister and he looked at each other and knew. A sad look crept across the guards face and an evil anger spread across the face of Bannister.

The man who accepted the bribe and kicked over Bannister was his own father...
captainkidd78
Seaman

559 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bannister felt betrayed. His own father was a rogue and thief, and the thought of him being his blood sickened Bannister. As he walked past Wingfield's he saw the old mariner Robert Vane wave him over.

"Hello lad, perhaps you need extra money working on a ship?," questioned Vane. "There maybe some need for an extra hand on deck."

"What kind of ship do you sail," asked young Bannister.

"Arrr, it be a beautiful brig, capable of 20 cannon and speed in excess of 11 knots," replied Robert. "My brother Charles will soon be heading to Providence and is getting a crew together. If ye be interested come to Dieppe Bay at daybreak this coming Thursday."

Bannister continued to his house in Stapleton, where his mother was entertaining another male guest...
captainkidd78
Seaman

559 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Bannister reached his small home in Stapleton, his mother was on her back whilst a British soldier was atop. This view enraged Bannister who grabbed a poker outside of the house. It was a rusty iron poker, about 3 feet long and the way it felt in his hand contributed to the amazing rage he felt. With incredible speed, Bannister went through the door and slammed the poker into the man's spine, killing him instantly. Alas it was yet again his own father who was atop his mother, but this would be the last time Bannister saw either of his parents. Grabbing everything he could carry he made a run for Dieppe Bay, it would take some time to get there, but perhaps they would let him aboard quickly.

The trip to Dieppe Bay was a long one, especially when attempting to avoid the main roads of the island, which stayed on the coast. Kelly had to go throught the mountains with 40 pounds in a sack - very heavy for a boy of 12. By the time he reached Dieppe Bay, the ship was already preparing to get underway.

"Halt!," cried out Charles Vane, noticing the boy coming from the woods.

The ships anchor was thrown back into the sea and mooring was reset.

"Hello lad, are you here to join us,?" asked the Captain.

"Aye. I have gotten meself in some trouble as well on the island.," replied young Kelly.

"What have you done boy? Surely you are overstating your trouble," inquired the Captain. "What is your name?"

"My name is Bannister, Bannister Kelly. I have murdered my father, a royal soldier. But I though him someone else abusing my mother.," was Bannister's reply.

The men all looked at each other with raised eyebrows and an uneasiness. Vane motioned the boy come forward and took his hand as he came aboard.

Captain Charles Vane gave this advice to Kelly:

"This is your only chance of freedom. You are as good as dead on land, so embrace the sea and it will not deny thee."
captainkidd78
Seaman

559 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Island of Nevis

The Portsmouth sailed gingerly into Charlestown harbour on the west coast of Nevis. The sloop was fitted tightly with 20 guns or so and around 100 men. The only other ships in the harbor was a sloop of 8 guns and a corvette of around 24 guns. Captain Vane and Bannister Kelly strolled along the streets of Charlestown, making for the local tavern on Market Street. Market Street runs north-souths along the dock, ending with the Courthouse and the Governor's mansion to the east.

Both places were a place Vane did not want to linger near...

The Bull Tavern was a drab affair, with barely a drink in the house. Watered down beer and rum was all they were serving and the men in the bar were of little interest. On the way out, Kelly bumped into a man who looked down at the lad with a keen eye. His Scottish accent was rare in these parts and he gave off a sense of courage and talent.

"Hello lad, might you be a bit young to take to the sea?," asked Captain Kidd. "These are troubled times not meant for the innocent. Who is your guardian?"

"It is I Kidd, Charles Vane of Portsmouth. Tell me of any news you hear of Nassau," said Vane.

"Perhaps I have some information of use, but alas I am on my way to Grenada...," countered Kidd.

"So be it. There are two hundred troops and sailors in Grenada. The harbour has been light lately, no Royal's in the area. Spain has designs on her...," mentioned Vane.

"Really? Well I know that Nassau has several ships, though none too formidable or of Royal nature. The governer is usually drunk and the fort is in ruins from boredom. It is a very easy place to live.," stated Kidd.

The two men parted with silly curtsies, and Kelly became very interested in their way of life...
captainkidd78
Seaman

559 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Turk, Turk Islands

The ship passed English Point and the lights of Cockburn Town burned faintly in the distance. In the harbor was the HMS Rose, a British Ship of the Line of 60 guns. Although the pirates had a fierce tenacity, matching cannon with the Navy would be a quick end. Vane ordered the ship to pull out of harbor, when a cannon shot ripped across the front of the ship.

Bannister had never heard such a wonderful noise, although many of the men became very fearful of the pursuing ship. The British ship pulled alongside and Vane was ordered to come aboard...

"I need some of your men. A sickness has spread throughout my company and we do not have enough men to sail," commanded Commodore Kincaid.

Vane, although very angry, demurred and offered Kincaid 20 men. The Commodore shook his head until Vane offered 50 men. With a bow, but followed by an eye-roll Vane headed back to his ship. Kelly was chosen by the British to come aboard and serve as a swabbie. Before he boarded, Kelly was approached by Vane.

Vane said, "You keep your wits about you young Kelly. Perhaps we will sail together again. Stay strong."

Kelly watched Vane and the ship sail toward the horizon and sat down to eat a meal of maggot-infested biscuit and watered-down beer...
captainkidd78
Seaman

559 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Port Royal, Jamaica

The entrance to the harbour of Port Royal was very time-consuming. Guiding a large ship like the Rose into a busy port like Port Royal was not an easy task. The ship made birth and after unloading, the men headed toward Fort Charles and then to a short vacation.

Bannister Kelly was amazed at the size of the city, as he had never known a place so populated. He walked down Tower Street to the church and made a quick prayer. Kelly found the city both exciting and disgusting. He passed a wonderful shop, only to run into a group of streetwalkers who noticed the large ship pulling into port. As Bannister had nowhere to go, he headed back to the ship. Before getting there he was grabbed by a fierce looking man of about thirty years of age.

"Give me your money lad or death shall come," demanded the unsavory man.

Bannister reached into his pockets and pulled out all of his money, which was a little less than one pound. The man thanked him and cracked him over the head with the handle of his dagger...

Bannister awoke being carried by two sailors of the Royal Navy. When he was aboard the ship, the Commodore called all men out on deck.

"You are guilty of breaking curfew. Do you have any defense?," asked the Commodore.

"Sir, I was attacked and robbed!," retorted Kelly.

"We are in Port Royal," laughed the Commodore. "Chain him up. Quartermaster get the whip prepared."

The lashing lasted over two hours. Kelly was struck perhaps 300 times, sending him into unconsciousness...
captainkidd78
Seaman

559 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

40 miles Northwest of Tortuga

Kelly awoke in severe pain. He had been in and out of conciousness for a week now and finally he was able to stand. The ship was heading to the west, toward the Keys where they would pick up supplies prior to the attack on Port Saint Joe on the Florida coast.

The lashing he had received crept into Kelly's mind and filled him with a rage. From that moment on, Kelly would do anything to destroy his enemies, and layed back down to apply a method to his madness...

When he awoke again, Bannister took a walk down into the guts of the ship. In his pocket was single match and a single coil for lighting cannon. Luckily, Kelly noticed a rock formation north of the ship. This was the island of Inagua, with it's French settlement on the north of the island. Bannister quickly lit the coil and set it next to the powder store. It was slow-burning and the fuse was out of normal view. Within two hours the ship would explode...

With a huge blast, the HMS Rose broke in half. Men scrambled across the deck attempting to exit the sinking ship, Kelly ran into the Commodore's quarters, and proceeded to stab the Commodore to death. Kelly grabbed the Commodore's hat and jacket and chest and made for a boat. With a big smile, Bannister Kelly began rowing towards Inagua Island...
captainkidd78
Seaman

559 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Versailles, Great Inagua Island

Bannister Kelly fell into town, literally. He awoke two days later on a small stack of hay with a cotton sheet around him. He arose very groggily and made his way toward the water.

"Hello. Welcome to Versailles. My name is Marie and this is my husband Louis," introduced a middle-aged woman. She had light brown hair which looked very good with her green/ivory dress.

"Thanks you Marie and Louis. My name is Bannister and I am from St. Kitts originally," introduced Kelly.

"Well you must be hungry. We do not have much, just some salted pork and some limeade, but you are free to..."

Bannister hugged Marie very warmly in response...

As this was not a very busy port, Kelly spent a good nine months with Marie and Louis. He helped to cultivate some sugar cane and proved to be very useful to them both. Finally, a sloop came into port which was en route to Vera Cruz. After a tearful goodbye, Marie gave Kelly a quick kiss and an envelope.

"What is this Marie?" asked Kelly

"It is a letter for my niece. Please bring it to her, her address is on the other side. You have a much better chance than I of getting there," replied Marie.

Kelly hugged his two new friends and paid the captain his share for the transport.

The vessel made very good time, picking up colonists in Havana and making the trip in good time. The ship stopped in Cancun, Sisal, and finally in the distance stood the city of Campeche, where Kelly would get a job and earn his way upon a ship...
captainkidd78
Seaman

559 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outside of Campeche, New Spain

Kelly and Gordo circled each other carefully, measuring each other up. Kelly, now at the age of 17, had grown into a man. He stood at around five feet, ten inches and weighed in at around 165-175 lbs. This was fairly large for the era, but not large compared to Gordo, who stood at around six feet and in excess of 300 pounds. The two men were swinging the sticks at amazing speeds, attempted to crack each other in the skull. The crowd cheering were a seamy group, many of them pirates or future pirates, making an honest living cutting logwood in the swamps around the Yucatan.

Gordo knocked Kelly to the ground and raised his stick high in the air. Before it came down, Kelly threw his stick upwards into the crotch of Gordo, bringing him to his knees. Kelly than repeatedly whacked Gordo in the head until blood began streaming from his right ear. Gordo began shaking and convulsing from the nerve damage of the blows to his brain. Kelly took out Gordo's money bag and kicked the shaking body into the swamp.

Within a minute, 2 alligators were ripping the gyrating Gordo into pieces to the amusement of the cutters.

Campeche, New Spain

The men all gathered, preparing for another cruise. As Campeche was a very Catholic city, prostitutes and alcohol were very hard to come by. The men all gathered into a barque and cruised up to Sisal, where some of the natives were easier on laws. The pirates would trade pieces of cloth and iron fixings for lustful nights with the native women. Kelly, although very fond of the women, found this life quite boring. He wanted to raise hell and walk away rich from a big governer town. Kelly wanted to sail from port to port, buying and selling, looting and burning. Kelly wanted to be the most wanted man in all the world.

For now, Bannister just sat by the far, sharpening his cutlass and enjoying the earthly pleasures of Yucatan...
captainkidd78
Seaman

559 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biloxi, New France

The town of Biloxi numbered only around 2500, but the town always seemed happy. Bannister Kelly made a small fortune in Campeche, and now was prepared to set out on his own. He "purchased" a sloop in Vera Cruz and set sail with 60 men to Biloxi, where he was in search of a young lady by the name of Renee Vedette de Sade (in a few generations this name would become quite infamous.)

Biloxi, was a clean town, full of newly planted trees and flowers. The stench of Port Royal was a far cry from this paradise on the south coast of New France. Kelly followed the directions he received from the tavern keeper and found himself in front of a large gate.

"Hello!," shouted Kelly.

Kelly waited for a minute or two and then began walking up the walkway.

"Halt!," shouted a man on horseback, obviously an officer of the guard. "What are you doing in this city and why are you here at the governor's home?"

"The governor?," replied Kelly in his best French. "Perhaps I am mistaken." Kelly showed the letter address to the guard and the guard asked Bannister to follow him.

Kelly, although not a rich man, prepared himself in the most respectful manner. He was well-dressed, and he did not have any drinks the night before. His friend/mother figure Marie from Inagua Island was a beautiful woman. Marie gave this letter to Bannister to deliver to her niece, who very well may be a beautiful woman herself. Kelly could only hope.

The servant of the house let Bannister in, and told Kelly to wait patiently.

After about ten minutes of waiting, Kelly began to grow impatient. After wrestling with beasts like Gordo and being whipped near death, this waiting was the last thing he could stand. He opened the door and left the mansion.

Half-way to the exit he noticed a very gorgeous woman approaching in a fine, light blue silk dress. Without realizing, Bannister completely stopped moving and settled his eyes upon the beauty coming down the walkway.

"You have something for me...," stated the woman with her hand outstretched.

Kelly fumbled through his pack and removed the letter and handed it over. "It is from Marie, your Aunt. They helped me when I was in a bad situation..."

Renee looked at Bannister in a tender way, quite like Marie. She touched his hand briefly and invited him to dinner at the mansion...
captainkidd78
Seaman

559 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biloxi, New France

Kelly was not used to this type of affair. He was surrounded by rich, French leaders of the area. The governor of Biloxi, was joined by the governor's of New Orleans, Pensacola, and Port Saint Joe. All of the men were French, and Kelly had a very hard time understanding the conversations around him. Once in awhile, Renee would cast a quick look at Bannister, putting him at some ease. The dinner over, all of those at the dinner walked into the ballroom.

Almost naturally, Bannister asked Renee for a dance. Renee smiled, but looked toward her father. He nodded his approval and the dancing began. The two figures matched exactly in all of their movements. Bannister had no training, but Renee proved an excellent teacher. They finished dancing and the couple gave a wonderful curtsy to the officials in the room. All of those watching applauded the pair as they made their way toward the balcony.

Bannister and Renee quickly kissed, as it seemed to be necessary. The tension between the two was there the entire night, but due to social constraints they could not move forward with their young love.

Renee began weeping. Kelly knew what she was weeping about. He was nothing to her, in class structure. She was a young French aristocrat. He was a British-Irish immigrant. She used words and music to convey points, he used his cutlass and his fists. The two were of different blood, but yet the same.

"I will do anything to gain your hand," began Bannister. "I will become a governor!"

The weeping stopped and the laughing began. The problem was that Bannister was not laughing...
captainkidd78
Seaman

559 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outside of Port-of-Spain, Trinidad

Kelly courted Renee for over a month while he had his ship fixed up and manned. The only way that Kelly could prove himself a capable suitor would be to achieve great rank. With the little money he received for bringing in three Spanish fishing vessels, Kelly purchased a French Letter of Marque against Spanish shipping.

Trinidad was a backwater Spanish port with a very light garrison. Kelly and his sloop came in front of a strong storm, trading cannon fire with the fort. The surging waves cleared the entire ship, drenching Kelly and his men as they approached landfall.

"Fight for gold and glory," shouted Bannister as he disembarked the sloop and charged toward the smoldering fort.

The men battled fiercly against the small Spanish garrison. Both parties had roughly equal numbers, but the privateers proved victorious. The cowardly Spanish captain came forward when asked.

"Please tell us where your treasure and goods are located," demanded Kelly.

"I will not you pitiful sea dog," replied the rich Captain.

In complete rage, Kelly swung his cutlass through the chest of a prisoner, who had some rank in the Trinidad government. This exhange caused the Captain to spill out the information...

The fame associated with the sacking would prove minor, yet effective. Gold was small, only around 2400 pieces, but it proved very good for the crew's morale...
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> The Circle of Pirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: