Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Do you have a favoured port?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Life at Sea Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What faction does you favored port belong to?
Pirates
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
England
50%
 50%  [ 13 ]
Holland
19%
 19%  [ 5 ]
France
26%
 26%  [ 7 ]
Spain
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 26

Captain Redbeard
Seaman

1466 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:42 pm    Post subject: Do you have a favoured port? Reply with quote

Do you have a favoured port?
What faction does it belong to and what's its name?
I consider Nevis my home port since I'm on very good terms with the Brittish and because that's currently the only port where I got a wife.
Swabbie

355 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Believe it or not, I like Barbados, which I've renamed 'Hayle'. Each time I start a new game, I seem to spawn there more often than not. And, it seems like the governor's daughter is almost always beautiful. It's a long way to Vera Cruz, but I'm not in any hurry.

GO IRISH !!!
Wolfwood
Boatswain

33917 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Favourite port is Barbados (they make the best rum!) and I most often retire there with whichever daughter I may have married (usually the better looking French beauty). Usually Barbados still belongs to the English at that point, since I don't sack that particular town in my games...

I always enjoy the feeling when, once retired, I become a governor and kick the old governor out of his mansion! Even when retired, I get to act like a pirate! Smile
It is much better to be armed with a sword that has two edges than with an estoc [...], which is nothing more than a stick with a point. (Rapier Master G. Morsicato Pallavicini, La Scherma Illustrata, p. 14.)
Captain Blood
Cutthroat

6396 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Port Royal.
Why? Because she's almost always a wealthy port and is close to both French and Spanish ports that are usually moderate to wealthy, and she's downwind from them all.
I can plunder away at ships, cities, whatever comes my way, sail until my ship is a floating pile of splinters, then sail with the wind at my back into Port Royal, get men, sell off the plunder, repair my ship(s), and get right back into action with almost no time wasted.
I am always Dutch now, I can't even think of the last time I sailed under another flag, but the English and the Dutch are almost always friendly at the beginning of the game so I can get in Dutch with both of them (groan) pretty quickly, then even when they go to war I stay neutral and can use either of their ports.
I get very rich, very fast, using Port Royal as my base of operations.
Actually, I start out over by St. Martin and I plunder and pillage the French over that way, thump up my crew, pick up a frigate or SoTL Worship and Brig of War or Royal Sloop, thump them up on every upgrade I can get, then I sail West towards Port Royal and begin to make my fortune off of the French and Spanish in Tortuga, Santiago and so forth on the way. There is always a lot of plunder to be had in this area.
Formulaic, yes, but very profitable early on in the game.
And if I don't get a SoTL Worship from the French over on the eastern side of the board early on in the game, I at least always get a Frigate I can thump up quite well until the French further West can spawn one.
So it works out very well for me early in the game, and then I can go after the named villians, named Pirates, rescue family members, romance governors daughters, find Lost Cities and Monty after I've got some money, a tried and tested crew, a SoTL Worship and some rank.
Makes all these things a LOT easier to do if you've waited until you're equiped.
Thumbs Up
yui108
Powder Monkey

296 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Santiago- You can raid Spanish French and English Shipping from here...Spanish will put up with a lot of raiding if your duke, but the second you get a 1k bounty just pilllage french and british shipping for a little while.. The treasure ships you can get here are insane.
Captain Riddle
Swabbie

2171 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have three home ports: Caracas, Cartagena, and Puerto Bello. I never even need to anchor at them; the merchants are so kind that they ship food and gold out to me on galleons while I'm sailing back and forth nearby.

However, Curaçao and a conquered Santa Catalina do both make excellent pit stops for those times some Spaniard gets a lucky shot off.

Capt. Cannon
Cutthroat

151 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the Northeastern dutch ports (St. Eaustasis atc) because i can easily prey on the plethora of english warships from there.

I also like margarita if i can conquer it and make it dutch.

Johnny Ringo- "This fight isn't with you"
Doc Holliday-"I bed to Diffuh."
(Tombstone)

http://www.fishnj.netfirms.com/

Capt. Cannon <((((((<
Dave the Knave
Rigger

22948 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer Campeche, as it is always very close to the Four Lost Treasures. But any of the ports from Havana westwards are good choices. The one with a beautiful governor's daughter breaks any ties. If they all have beauties, well, then, Campeche gets Anglicized, and I get married!
Bermuda_Shorts
Swabbie

156 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm... "favoured" port? Depends on what you mean by favoured. I like to sack many Spanish cities, they are usually quite rich Twisted Evil

But for home ports that I like to dock in, empty my cargo hold, sell off some of my ships, get information from the barman and barmaid and recruit crew, you can't do better than St. Kitts.
It's right in the centre of all the eastern Caribbean action, and you can make a tidy sum by raiding French or Dutch shipping, depending on who England's at war with, and if none of them are at war with each other... why... you can take a little jaunt over to San Juan and harass good old Spain.
If YOU'RE French or Dutch, you can just conquer St. Kitts, although you'll need a lot of men to do it Mad

After St. Kitts, I'd have to say the best port would be either Margarita or Guadeloupe. Margarita is a nice place because it's near Trinidad AND Cumana, and not too far away from Curacao either, so if you make Trinidad English and Margarita French (or the reverse, depending on what nation you're favouring) and leave Cumana Spanish, you have a little pocket of multiculturalism that has many fat merchants floating around in peace and many "New Warship"s that fetch a nice price at the shipwright's at the worst. And you don't need to worry about Margarita being poor because as long as you have a nearby settlement and a nearby mission, you can make any city crowded and wealthy within 6 months.

Ahh, the good old days.
sk8erkillinu
Swabbie

838 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two favorites one Currico (i think thats how it's spelled) Lost which is Dutch and the other Port Royal which is English Smile the first one is good cause it's location right in the middle of the Spanish shipping lanes! Smile I like Port Royal because of the same reason as above but also because the governors daughter is almost always beautiful. Smile Smile I also agree with Bermuda-shorts st. Kitt's is pretty good. Are you from Bermuda? I love it there went there about two years ago! Sailor
Criscoween
Powder Monkey

352 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:26 pm    Post subject: port Reply with quote

I suppose my favorite port has to do with small things, like the barmaids, music, and accents. I guess I prefer the English port, Port Royale, best, because I generally marry the govenor's daughter who lives there. If you think about it, in the movie series Pirates of the Caribbean, Elizabeth Swan was the govenor's daughter at Port Royale. So, in a sense, I am Will Turner by marrige. Smile I enjoy the music, too. Also, Port Royale seems to be in the middle of everything, and easily accessible. My second favorite port would be any Dutch port, mainly because the govenor acts funny (especially when you tell him you will save his daughter from Colonel Mendoza).

Last edited by Criscoween on Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dave the Knave
Rigger

22948 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I prefer the English port, Port Royale, best, because I generally marry the govenor's daughter who lives there.

Aye, I would, too, if she were always beautiful...but it's a rare game when that happens. But there are other ports and other daughters...

Quote:
I enjoy the music, too.

The British Grenadiers is a really catchy tune in this game. The first time I played the game, I just stopped and enjoyed listening to it for a while. It's one of the best reasons to keep strong and rich English ports in the Caribbean.

Quote:
My second favorite port would be any Dutch port, mainly because the govenor acts funny (especially when you tell him you will save his daughter from Colonel Mendoza).

That's the funny, rotund little chap that jumps up and says, "Yeeheeee," isn't it? He's a neat guy to work for. Laughing

By the way, welcome to Cutlass Isle, Criscoween!

Arr!
Captain Redbeard
Seaman

1466 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave the Knave wrote:

Quote:
My second favorite port would be any Dutch port, mainly because the govenor acts funny (especially when you tell him you will save his daughter from Colonel Mendoza).

That's the funny, rotund little chap that jumps up and says, "Yeeheeee," isn't it? He's a neat guy to work for. Laughing

Hehe, the funny part is how the butler bounces when he land. Razz
But som bug is making it happen to all nations, even tho they just bow. Confused
Swabbie

838 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to Cutlass Isle Criscoween Smile
Dave the Knave
Rigger

22948 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But som bug is making it happen to all nations, even tho they just bow.

I asked my current character, Captain Handel, if practicable, to study the contact that the butler makes upon entering the service of the governor. It's a remarkably uniform clause throughout the Caribbean, with slight variations in each of the four languages...here is the pertinent information in contemporary English.

"Item. When His Lordshippe ye Governor is partickularly moved in Emotion, viz. when a heroick Pryvatier pledges to rescue His Lordshippe's Daughter, it is ye Dutie of ye Butler to Perform a slight Jumpe to acknowlege His Lordshippe's dignitie."

At least my character tells me this is true. I think he's making a joke of it, if you ask me!

Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Life at Sea All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: