Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Pirate's favourite drink: Rum!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Tavern Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fire Pirate
Powder Monkey

122 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 11:27 pm    Post subject: great Reply with quote

Hey! great website you got there. Cool realy cool. And the idea is really cool too. But where do you find rum these days? I ask the local shops and they look at me like I'm crazy?! Exclamation
Wolfwood
Boatswain

33917 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Fire Pirate: Depends on where you live. In my home country, Finland, where I'll be going back in next August, you have only a couple of good rums to select from, but what I've seen of US and Canadian shops, they usually have at least a couple of worthy brands on the shelves, even if it is hard to find something outstanding without some help from fellow enthusiasts. In an earlier post, I mentioned some easy to find brands that you might want to search for when first starting on this hobby.

Whereas for luckybaer66, I'd suggest starting from the better stuff immediately, since you have obviously already developed your palate enough to appreciate the high end rums. Let me just say one thing: you'll prefer the rums! Wink
Billy Bones
Seaman

1817 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 9:25 pm    Post subject: Got Rum? Reply with quote

Another source of provisions... Wink

http://portroyaltradingco.com/portroyal_1st.html

http://www.rumshop.net
http://www.rumshop.net/newsletters/december2004.pdf

For advnaced studies...

www.rumuniversity.com
Wolfwood
Boatswain

33917 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot but recommend the GotRum? newsletter. Its only problem is the fact that the reviews of various rums aren't often critical enough, which I take as a sign that the editor wants to be friends with all the producers and does not want to anger any of them (because they would not want to buy advertisement space on the newsletter anymore). That's why you have to read a bit between the lines when you read the reviews. All the other info in them is top class, however!
luckybaer66
Swabbie

1282 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried some of that Captain Morgan's premium stuff, and I liked it. It was kinda sweet, but it made for nice sipping. Definitely smoother on the tongue than some Bourbons that I've had.

I think I'm going to try some of the affordable stuff from Pyrat. I don't know why, though. I think it is because it rates high and it has a cool name.

Out where I live, we have this awesome liquor "super store." The place is about the size of a huge Walgreens or a Borders bookstore. Anyway, it has loads of wine - broken out by type and by country - and it has a huge selection of distilled spirits. Great tequila section, a good bourbon section, and a fine Scotch section. I'll have to see if the Rum section holds up.
Wolfwood
Boatswain

33917 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@luckybaer66: I would not have recommended Captain Morgan (even the premium stuff) for one's first rum sipping experience, but if you liked that, then you will absolutely love the better brands, even those in the same price class! Razz
luckybaer66
Swabbie

1282 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolfwood wrote:
@luckybaer66: I would not have recommended Captain Morgan (even the premium stuff) for one's first rum sipping experience, but if you liked that, then you will absolutely love the better brands, even those in the same price class! Razz

I was always curious about the Captain Morgan's stuff. I bought it at the grocery store - it was a beautiful virgin in as room full of Barcardi and house brand rum!

Captain Morgan does a good job of branding, just like that lousy Maker's Mark does for bourbon. Maker's is good enough to be mixed with soda, but it is NOT a delightful sipping experience! But, folks buy it because it is easy to say "Maker's and soda" to the barkeep, and the red wax stuff on the cap looks cool, too! Very Happy
AndersSchm
Swabbie

307 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luckybaer66 wrote:
But, folks buy it because it is easy to say "Maker's and soda" to the barkeep, and the red wax stuff on the cap looks cool, too! Very Happy

I think this is why people have JD and coke all the time because it's easy to say and sounds cool. JD is by far not the nicest drink around.
luckybaer66
Swabbie

1282 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndersSchm wrote:
luckybaer66 wrote:
But, folks buy it because it is easy to say "Maker's and soda" to the barkeep, and the red wax stuff on the cap looks cool, too! Very Happy

I think this is why people have JD and coke all the time because it's easy to say and sounds cool. JD is by far not the nicest drink around.

Probably why people say, "Gimme a Bud Light." I'm sure no one drinks Bud because it tastes good, right? I mean, it washes down spicy food OK, and on a 100 degree day it is more refreshing than Guiness, right? Shocked
AndersSchm
Swabbie

307 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luckybaer66 wrote:
Probably why people say, "Gimme a Bud Light." I'm sure no one drinks Bud because it tastes good, right? I mean, it washes down spicy food OK, and on a 100 degree day it is more refreshing than Guiness, right? Shocked

Fortunately bud light pretty much crashed and burned in the UK and I haven't seen it for years.

Personally I've drank gin or bourbon straight and my only experience with rum is my girlfriend who drinks Morgans or Lambs with coke. In the posts before people have described their favourite rums - but what rum would you advise for a newbie like myself who is looking to get onto the path of becoming a rum drinking salty seadog?
Wolfwood
Boatswain

33917 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, those popular brand names (like Captain Morgan and Bacardi) make rum widely known. The problem is that the advertising usually gives an impression of rum as a mixer, rather than quality sipper (is that a word?), and people may never realise what they are missing...

...and even if they do hear that some people like to sip rums and get interested, they will go to their Captain Morgan Spiced and pour some for themselves to sip. Then gag and cry out that it is horrible and that they will never touch rum again and will always give strange looks to people who admit that they like rum...
AndersSchm
Swabbie

307 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolfwood wrote:
Yup, those popular brand names (like Captain Morgan and Bacardi) make rum widely known. The problem is that the advertising usually gives an impression of rum as a mixer, rather than quality sipper (is that a word?), and people may never realise what they are missing...

Which one should I get then? Looking for something nice & easy for a beginner but cheap enough so that if I don't favour it I haven't wasted too much money.
Wolfwood
Boatswain

33917 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndersSchm wrote:
Which one should I get then? Looking for something nice & easy for a beginner but cheap enough so that if I don't favour it I haven't wasted too much money.

I'd recommend either something from this list (that I posted previously):

Cruzan Estate Diamond Rum Cask Aged 5 Yr
Cruzan Single Barrel Estate Rum
Appleton V/X or Extra
Mount Gay Special Reserve
Doorly's XO

Or something like

Rhum Barbancourt 8yr.
Cockspur VSOR
Ron Matusalem Gran Reserva, 15 Solera
Havana Club Anejo Reserva
Havana Club Anejo 7 Anos

(Havana Clubs are not available in the US, btw)
and perhaps even

Barbados Plantation Rum, Vintage 1991

although that one is far too mild in character for me...
KaptainKaos
Powder Monkey

135 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 6:35 pm    Post subject: Rum,Rum, and yes more rum! Reply with quote

Hey all I have really loved rum since my trip to jamaica about as year ago, There at the resorts i went to Appleton special was all they used and wow that is an excellent mixing rum. I also toured the distillery and it was a lot of fun, even got my picture taken in the label *LOL* purchased there an 18year old as well as 21 year old and wow (Rums, not people) the 21 is a beautifull ruby colour and one of the best rums i have ever had! Luckily where i live on cape cod is a summer hot spot so it is relatively easy to find rums of a decent quality here! another good set of rums are the plantation series, One from Jamaica, one from trinidad, and one from barbados, all very good rums
luckybaer66
Swabbie

1282 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought me a bottle of Pyrat XO today. I'm pretty excited about giving it a whirl tonight. I'll try it straight up first, and I'll also give it a go on the rocks.

Looking at the receipt, I kinda wondered how much of what I spent was due to taxes and other hidden charges. I also do that when I fill my gas tank up with unleaded (petrol).
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: