Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Pirate's favourite drink: Rum!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Tavern Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GrapeJ
Swabbie

349 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Pussers Reply with quote

I think it's just a coincidence I like rum and Pirate games, history and lore.
KaptainKaos wrote:
Pussers british Naval Rum isnt to bad either i think it sells for about 18 us for the officers kind and like 10 for regular supposedly its the same rum used by the british navy.

I'm not much of a connoisseur, but I think Pussers taste like rum flavored paint thinner. I usually get the flavored Bacardi rums when I can. But usually don't have the cash and end up with my favorite cheap rum Castillo. Dark rum and sprite, yummy. Light rum and OJ is a better screwdriver than one with vodka.
"Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for, because you can never predict when they're going to do something incredibly... stupid." Captain Jack Sparrow
Wolfwood
Boatswain

33917 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Auldrek wrote:
So what would you guys say are a few good rums for starting out that will allow to me appreciate the even better rums without turning me off to rum before getting there.

Read my message at the end of page 3 in this thread to see a list of rums I recommend for beginners. These rums are such that you are NOT meant to drink with coke or any other mixer and will give a nice introduction to the whole world of quality spirits.

At the moment, my favourites in this category are

Cockspur VSOR
Ron Matusalem Gran Reserva, 15 Solera
Rhum Barbancourt 8yr.
Cruzan Estate Single Barrel

In that order, more or less (depends on the day).
Wolfwood
Boatswain

33917 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Pussers Reply with quote

GrapeJ wrote:
I usually get the flavored Bacardi rums when I can. But usually don't have the cash and end up with my favorite cheap rum Castillo. Dark rum and sprite, yummy. Light rum and OJ is a better screwdriver than one with vodka.

Bacardi and Captain Morgan are OK rums for mixers and that's what they are marketed as. Bacardi especially markets their products for party purposes and mixers even on TV, so I have a hard time taking their rum seriously (although their top label might be OK for some tastes).

For sipping straight, I'd recommend going for some of the other rums listed in this thread (and in the previous message, for example).

After all, we are pirates and we prefer our rum neat.
Wolfwood
Boatswain

33917 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolfwood's lectures on rum, Part "n"

Rupertlittlebear said in the other thread that:

Quote:
What ever you try, get a dark rather than lite/light one.

This is correct to an extent. I just want to warn that most of the rums that you see in liquor stores are extremely bad quality, but may still be dark in colour. This is because they get their colour from caramel colouring (burned sugar) rather than from the ageing process, wherefrom they should get most of their colour.

This is an unfortunate situation and leads often to the situation in which someone buys a bottle of "dark" rum and finds it disgusting, consequently turning away from rum for good. This is why tips from other rum enthusiasts come in handy as well as such rum newsletters as Got Rum? which's been mentioned in this thread before.
Auldrek
Swabbie

1045 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolfwood wrote:
AndersSchm wrote:
Which one should I get then? Looking for something nice & easy for a beginner but cheap enough so that if I don't favour it I haven't wasted too much money.

I'd recommend either something from this list (that I posted previously):

Cruzan Estate Diamond Rum Cask Aged 5 Yr
Cruzan Single Barrel Estate Rum
Appleton V/X or Extra
Mount Gay Special Reserve
Doorly's XO

Or something like

Rhum Barbancourt 8yr.
Cockspur VSOR
Ron Matusalem Gran Reserva, 15 Solera
Havana Club Anejo Reserva
Havana Club Anejo 7 Anos

(Havana Clubs are not available in the US, btw)
and perhaps even

Barbados Plantation Rum, Vintage 1991

although that one is far too mild in character for me...

Ok My friend and I tried both Appleton V/X and the Appleton Extra. To be perfectly honest I see no reason to drink the V/X. The Extra on the otherhand was delightful! After I finish that I will look for some of the better rums to try.

Thanks alot for the help!
Billy Bones
Seaman

1817 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought you might enjoy this quote from Jimmy Buffett's new book, A Salty Piece of Land, where he describes the character, Cleopatra Highbourne.

In A Salty Piece of Land, Jimmy Buffett wrote:
To begin with Cleopatra is 101 years ld, but she doesn't look a day over 80. She is captain of her beautiful schooner, the Lucretia, which was a present from her father on her eighteenth birthday.

Cleopatra has simply defied the aging process. Her eyes are a piercing green, and her speech is lilted with an island accent that is somewhere between Jamaican and Cuban. There isn't a romance language or Caribbean patois she doesn't speak like a native, and there isn’t an island she hasn't set foot on between Bimini and Bonaire. Her skeleton is erect, which she attributes to being a practitioner of yoga for eighty years, having been taught the craft by Gandhi himself. She wares no hearing aids or glasses. Her skin is void of the weathered, leatherlike appearance caused by age, ocean, and ultraviolet exposure. She never smoked cigarettes, but she had her daily ration of rum and occasionally a puff of opium if she is feeling ill. She also has a taste for Cuban cigars.

I think they should add rum and tabaco back into the game, and let them do for our priates what they have obviously done for Cleopatra Highbourne.

Yo ho ho... Very Happy
GrapeJ
Swabbie

349 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 12:22 am    Post subject: Re: Pussers Reply with quote

Wolfwood wrote:
After all, we are pirates and we prefer our rum neat.

What about grog? I did a quick google on grog and found this site http://www.contemplator.com/history/grog.html and it states that in the Pirates! game time there was no grog, just straight rum. But grog is a part of pirate lore and was around in the latter part of the pirate era 1740-early 1800s. And the british mixed lime juice in rum to prevent scurvy and that is why they are called limeys. I like rum mixed with stuff myself.
"Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for, because you can never predict when they're going to do something incredibly... stupid." Captain Jack Sparrow
Billy Bones
Seaman

1817 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some little known American military history:

The U.S.S. Constitution (Old Ironsides) carried 48,600 gallons of fresh water for her crew of 475 officers and men. This was sufficient to last six months of sustained operations at sea. She carried no evaporators (i.e. fresh water distillers!).

According to her log, "On July 27, 1798, the U.S.S. Constitution sailed from Boston with a full complement of 475 officers and men, 48,600 gallons of fresh water, 7,400 cannon shot, 11,600 pounds of black powder and 79,400 gallons of rum." Her mission: "To destroy and harass English shipping."

Making Jamaica on 6 October, she took on 826 pounds of flour and 68,300 gallons of rum. Then she headed for the Azores, arriving there 12 November. She provisioned with 550 pounds of beef and 64,300 gallons of Portuguese wine. On 18 November, she set sail for England. In the ensuing days she defeated five British men-of-war and captured and scuttled 12 English merchantmen, salvaging only the rum aboard each.

By 26 January, her powder and shot were exhausted. Although unarmed she made a night raid up the Firth of Clyde in Scotland. Her landing party captured a whisky distillery, and, by dawn, had transferred 40,000 gallons of single malt Scotch aboard before heading home.

The U.S.S. Constitution arrived in Boston on 20 February, 1799, with no cannon shot, no food, no powder, no rum, no wine, no whisky, and 38,600 gallons of stagnant water.

GO NAVY!
Wolfwood
Boatswain

33917 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the grog came around when the Navy (British, I think) realised that the reason there were so many sailors dropping from masts during long voyages was the fact that they were given a portion of rum each and every day. This was done to prevent unhappiness amongst the crew, but it also caused some, eh, occasional mishaps because of the size of the rum portion.

Grog was a watered down version of rum, given in equal portions as the rum had been, but, because of the added stuff, containing less alcohol.

@GrapeJ: Rum mixed with stuff is quite ok. I drink an occasional drink myself. But... Here's the BIG BUT: Please, please, please, never mix top quality rum with anything else mixed in. Drink it neat. It is better that way. (pretty please...?). Mixing quality rum with something else equals to a crime. You'd never mix high quality cognac or whiskey with anything, would you? (pretty please with sugar on top?)

Wink
GrapeJ
Swabbie

349 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 5:19 pm    Post subject: from the grog website http://www.contemplator.com/history/gr Reply with quote

"If the use of grog was common practice, the mixture was anything but standard. Vernon ordered a quarter of water to a half a pint of rum (four to one), others ordered three to one, and Admiral Keith later issued grog at five to one. The mixture seamen used for grog was named by compass points. Due North was pure rum and due West water alone. WNW would therefore be one third rum and two thirds water, NW half and half, etc. If a seaman had two "nor-westers," he'd had two glasses of half rum and half water."

Don't worry Wolfwood, if I ever come acroos some expensive high quality rum, I swear by the pirate code not to mix it with anything.
luckybaer66
Swabbie

1282 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pyrat XO, baby. I've become a creature of habit.

Rum: Pyrat XO
Bourbon: Baker's or Woodford Reserve (Woodford = good bang for buck)
Tequila: Patron Anejo
Gin: Tanquery No. 10
Vodka: Grey Goose (Yes, great marketing, but a good vodka)
Beer: Just about any Oregon microbrew. No Budweiser products except when my wife buys that Michelob Ultra watered-down liquid waste...
Vid: BFG Nvidia GeForce 6800GT OC
HD: 2x160 GB Seagate Barracuda
CD/DVD: Sony
Case: Antec Performance 1 Series
PSU: Antec NeoPower 480
Monitor: Samsung 712N
Wolfwood
Boatswain

33917 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Billy Bones: Thanks for the hilarious story! Sailors truly know how to appreciate good spirits... Laughing
Billy Bones
Seaman

1817 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Woldwood: Aye matey, that we do! Smile
Billy Bones
Seaman

1817 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found Pyrat XO in both a white and an orange box. The distillery which makes Pyrat XO is owned by Patron, the tequila people, and Patron tequila comes in different colored boxes depending on it's age. I sent an e-mail to Patron asking for clarification, but have received no response. I was wondering if any of our rum aficionados had any knowledge of what the different colored boxes mean? The orange box seems to be more expensive, but since I purchased them in two different states, it could be just a local difference.

http://www.patronspirits.com
Wolfwood
Boatswain

33917 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry I don't know about the differences in the Pyrat XO found in different boxes.

In the meanwhile, I have to say that I've got infatuated with Barbadian rums. Cockspur VSOR was already my favourite, but as I haven't been able to find it in Canada, AND I heard that the stuff sold in the US is a much worse blend than the same label sold in Barbados, I've been settling on Mount Gay Extra Old. I must say that it is very good!

Rum and water - what makes Barbados so different?

As a small tidbit: One of the basic differences between rums, besides the disstilling methods, aging, and whether you are using sugar cane juices or molasses, is caused by the water that is added to the distilled and aged rum to bring it on the 80 proof (or some other proof) level.

In Barbados, they use very pure water that is gathered in underground reservois in stalactite caverns, whereas on other islands they have to use sweet water taken from small lakes and rivers (the island of Barbados is geographically unique in the Caribbean and the only one with stalactite caverns). Thus, the Barbadian water is much purer than the water on the other islands. This gives Barbadian rums their distinctive taste.
It is much better to be armed with a sword that has two edges than with an estoc [...], which is nothing more than a stick with a point. (Rapier Master G. Morsicato Pallavicini, La Scherma Illustrata, p. 14.)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: