Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Pirate's favourite drink: Rum!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Tavern Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rupertlittlebear
Helmsman

10381 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolfwood wrote:
In Barbados, they use very pure water that is gathered in underground reservois in stalactite caverns, whereas on other islands they have to use sweet water taken from small lakes and rivers (the island of Barbados is geographically unique in the Caribbean and the only one with stalactite caverns). Thus, the Barbadian water is much purer than the water on the other islands. This gives Barbadian rums their distinctive taste.
Sounds like that would make the underground water slightly asidic.

Iffen you just want pure water, distill it.

Yes I agree, the choice of water will greatly affect the product.
Wolfwood
Boatswain

33917 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rupertlittlebear wrote:
Sounds like that would make the underground water slightly asidic.

Iffen you just want pure water, distill it.

Yes I agree, the choice of water will greatly affect the product.

Well, the Barbadians claim that their water is the purests in the Caribbean, and, indeed, you can drink the tab water there (and its quite tasty), unlike on the other islands. It's got something to do with the water filtering through all these layers of dirt before reaching the caverns, but I've got no notion of the details.

Still, their rums are great!
It is much better to be armed with a sword that has two edges than with an estoc [...], which is nothing more than a stick with a point. (Rapier Master G. Morsicato Pallavicini, La Scherma Illustrata, p. 14.)
GrapeJ
Swabbie

349 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 2:30 am    Post subject: cruzan Reply with quote

I recently tried Cruzan rum, I don't think it was any special blend just the standard one. It was very good. You can definately taste the difference between a barrel darkened rum and the cheap stuff that just adds liquid coloring to regular rum. Worth the extra $3 a bottle more than the cheap stuff at the 1.75 Liter size.
"Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for, because you can never predict when they're going to do something incredibly... stupid." Captain Jack Sparrow
Steelkilt
Powder Monkey

543 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Bones wrote:
Some little known American military history:

The U.S.S. Constitution (Old Ironsides) carried 48,600 gallons of fresh water for her crew of 475 officers and men. This was sufficient to last six months of sustained operations at sea. She carried no evaporators (i.e. fresh water distillers!).

According to her log, "On July 27, 1798, the U.S.S. Constitution sailed from Boston with a full complement of 475 officers and men, 48,600 gallons of fresh water, 7,400 cannon shot, 11,600 pounds of black powder and 79,400 gallons of rum." Her mission: "To destroy and harass English shipping."

Making Jamaica on 6 October, she took on 826 pounds of flour and 68,300 gallons of rum. Then she headed for the Azores, arriving there 12 November. She provisioned with 550 pounds of beef and 64,300 gallons of Portuguese wine. On 18 November, she set sail for England. In the ensuing days she defeated five British men-of-war and captured and scuttled 12 English merchantmen, salvaging only the rum aboard each.

By 26 January, her powder and shot were exhausted. Although unarmed she made a night raid up the Firth of Clyde in Scotland. Her landing party captured a whisky distillery, and, by dawn, had transferred 40,000 gallons of single malt Scotch aboard before heading home.

The U.S.S. Constitution arrived in Boston on 20 February, 1799, with no cannon shot, no food, no powder, no rum, no wine, no whisky, and 38,600 gallons of stagnant water.

GO NAVY!

That was a great bit of info there. I'm definately gonna copy that down and show it to my Navy recruiters. (I'm on the USN's Delayed Entry program, shipping of in June) Now that's what I call the fighting spirit of the Navy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Billy Bones
Seaman

1817 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's how I got into the Navy. The only problem is that once you are on the delayed entry program, you become big time unemployable. The recruiter will give you a month or so and then hit you up to go early. Wink

Welcome aboard!
Juan de San Diego
Seaman

5156 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:55 pm    Post subject: Puerto Rican Rum Reply with quote

Once was given a bottle of rum by a Puerto Rican friend that had a warning label reading something to the effect of

Warning: Do not smoke while consuming this product!

Loved it!

Juan
Billy Bones
Seaman

1817 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite rum has changed again. I finally got my hands on a bottle of Anguilla Rums Ltd's Cask 23. All I can say is WOW!!! Unfortunately this stuff costs more then my first couple of cars combined, but it is worth the price of admission. It is similar to Pyrat XO, but so much, much smoother. While Pyrat XO will remain my staple, I'm keeping the Cask 23 for those special occasions, like landfall after a long crossing.

Thanks again to Wolfwood for letting me know about the Pyrat line of rums from Anguilla Rums Ltd.

Wolfwood
Boatswain

33917 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad that I could bring you two together! Very Happy

I move in a slightly lower price class myself. My present favourite (the list on my website has no way of keeping up with my changing favourites) is Barbancourt Estate Reserve, which is a 15 year old rum and also very pleasantly smooth. It was about or a bit over 60 CAD, if I remember correctly, and the most expensive rum I've tried thus far.
It is much better to be armed with a sword that has two edges than with an estoc [...], which is nothing more than a stick with a point. (Rapier Master G. Morsicato Pallavicini, La Scherma Illustrata, p. 14.)
Billy Bones
Seaman

1817 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a real super deal on the Cask 23 that's why I'm hording it. It will most likely be my only bottle. Thanks for the introduction Wolf, Anguilla Rums Ltd. makes great products. I have turn four of my friends on to Pyrat XO and all of them love it.
sparticus
Helmsman

44872 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My problem is - I enjoy the Rum - but can never remember the next day how good it was -

Smile Buddies Arr! Arr! Buddies Smile
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears about half the people I meet who drink rum say they prefer Captain Morgan. However, when I actually let them try some of the better rums, they wise up pretty quickly. I have nothing against Captain Morgan but I prefer the higher rated rums like Ron Zacapa, Kaniche, Appleton and Mount Gay.
Wolfwood
Boatswain

33917 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may have said so before (this thread is _old), but Captain Morgan was the first rum I tasted. I swallowed it down, believing that a real man should be able to get to like it.

Then I tasted better rums and realised the sort of swill Captain Morgan is.

Ron Zacapa Centenario is my all-time favourite.
Pirate
Helmsman

109759 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Morgan did a good job at least of keeping rum alive even if it's not the rum of choice for those who know what a good rum is. It's available so no wonder it is most folks first try of rum. Where I'm from White Lightning is the king. Moonshine that is. They sell moonshine in the liquor stores now but you never drank moonshine unless it was from a homemade still by country boys who knew what they were doing.
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found a new favorite rum! One I like even more than the Ron Zacapa 23 year old rum, it is called Kaniche XO (Double Wood) from Barbados! Good thing is that is costs less than the Ron Zacapa. They are both great rums, I'm just leaning towards the Kaniche XO now....
AlfredoAnaltorpedo
Powder Monkey

238 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you like rum that much, then you should try ROM. Those are some sort of chocolate bars with rum from Romania which taste amazing. Also interesting, rum is responsible for my first complete hangover. Laughing
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: