Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Help. Game Won't work
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Technical Issues Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LarryM
Powder Monkey

345 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 12:35 am    Post subject: Help. Game Won't work Reply with quote

When I attempt to load the game, I get a message asking me to insert the original disk instead of a backup. However, I have the original disk in the drive. What gives? I am absolutely livid.

I have a limited edition DVD, if that makes a difference.
Civrules
Cutthroat

4032 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would assume your drive is a DVD Drive, right?

If so, then attempt to re-install the game and try again and see if it works out for you.

BTW, Welcome to Cutlass Isle!
Magellan
Powder Monkey

101 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 1:12 am    Post subject: problems Reply with quote

first it says install orignal disc--I have disc 1 in computer--I put disc2 in and then it works for about 2 minutes and then dumps me to desktop........

help--help
LarryM
Powder Monkey

345 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice, though it didn't work. I just got off the phone after about 45 minutes with tech support, still no silution. Seems to be a DVD drive issue. No Pirate for me tonight (and perhaps not ever). The earliest I'm told to expect a solution is tomorrow afternoon. ARRGH.

This does seem to be a fairly common problem. Unfortunately, the solution appears to vary from machine to machine.

So much for my planned 8 hours of playing tonight. Crying or Very sad
BJerols
Powder Monkey

36 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can't be just a DVD drive issue because I'm getting it on my CD drive (not Limited Edition) too... this sux
Billy Bones
Seaman

1817 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bjorols, make sure you installed Directx 9.0c and check the manufacturers site for updated dirvers for your DVD or CDROM drive.

I'm running an Athlon 3000+ and the movie sectiosn seem a little slow and cluncky in places, so if you are just at or above the minimum system requirements, you may have some issues. If you look in the manual, it suggestts some things to shutdown in the game to improve speed. You might try this as well.

Good luck
Austen
Powder Monkey

5 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having the same problem.. I have the LE DVD Sad
Kiwegapa

0 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes games have problems with certain drives not reading subchannel data. This data is used as part of copy protection on the game. Usually more expensive drives or big-name drives are free of this issue.

I am not saying that this is the cause of your issue, but it's a common cause of that type of error.

0 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kiwegapa wrote:
Sometimes games have problems with certain drives not reading subchannel data. This data is used as part of copy protection on the game. Usually more expensive drives or big-name drives are free of this issue.

I am not saying that this is the cause of your issue, but it's a common cause of that type of error.

I believe you are referring to the security used on the DVD published by Atari. For those that have a problem with a DVD drive not reading the LE version of the game your best bet is contact the OEM for your DVD drive and see if they have a BIOS upgrade.
PorthosdPirate
Powder Monkey

393 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I forgot to login for that last post.

I say boy, I'm no chicken -- Foghorn Leghorn
LarryM
Powder Monkey

345 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, tried looking for an updated driver. Unfortunately, I can't find my DVD drive on the manufacturer's site (Phillips). Dell has an updated driver for another Phillips DVD drive, but none for my model (8601).

This bums me out on so many levels. Not only can't I play the game now, but I may never be able to. And, given the return policy of the store I bought it at, I will not even be able to get a refund. Atari will allow me to exchange it for another Atari game (if they can't fix the problem), but there aren't any other Atari games that I want.

And I now worry that this will be a problem with other games as well. Sad

Anyway, this is the last time I buy a Dell computer.
LarryM
Powder Monkey

345 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still no solution, but hope this will help others (as a warning if nothing else).

Some further googling has revealed that this is a really common problem with Dell computers, and has been a problem with other games as well. If you have a Dell computer with a Phillips DVD drive, I would not buy this game. There does not seem to be an easy fix.

And if you are looking for a new computer, stay away from Dell.

I'm incedibly annoyed at this point - at both Dell and Atari.
BJerols
Powder Monkey

36 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LarryM wrote:
Still no solution, but hope this will help others (as a warning if nothing else).

Some further googling has revealed that this is a really common problem with Dell computers, and has been a problem with other games as well. If you have a Dell computer with a Phillips DVD drive, I would not buy this game. There does not seem to be an easy fix.

And if you are looking for a new computer, stay away from Dell.

I'm incedibly annoyed at this point - at both Dell and Atari.

My PC is a Dell as well... fortunately for me I got it working last night and in time to get 5 hours worth of game time in. If it is any consolation to you, I can assure you the wait will be well worth it... the game is great! Best of luck getting yours up and running!!!

0 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BJerols,

What did you do to get it running? Do you also have a Philips 8601 DVD drive?

Any help would be much appreciated.
LarryM
Powder Monkey

345 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, that last post was me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Technical Issues All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: