Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Land battles go slowly--suggestions?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Incognito
Powder Monkey

147 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 9:40 pm    Post subject: Land battles go slowly--suggestions? Reply with quote

Just tried a land battle for the first time. While it works fine, moving groups takes awhile because they move pretty slowly square to square, not promptly as video I've seen shows. I'm guessing this has to do with some setting or other, but I've fiddled around a little and nothing is really different. Any ideas? I've got a 32 MB GeForce4 video card on a 1.6 MHz processor; so I'm thinking speed is not the issue here.
Firaxis_Barry
Firaxian
Firaxian

347 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Land battles go slowly--suggestions? Reply with quote

Incognito wrote:
Just tried a land battle for the first time. While it works fine, moving groups takes awhile because they move pretty slowly square to square, not promptly as video I've seen shows. I'm guessing this has to do with some setting or other, but I've fiddled around a little and nothing is really different. Any ideas? I've got a 32 MB GeForce4 video card on a 1.6 MHz processor; so I'm thinking speed is not the issue here.

Well...... Speed could be an issue because you are above min spec for the proc. but at or below it on the video card. Try turning off shadows first. After that start messing with the detail levels.

-Barry
Firaxis Games
Panthar
Powder Monkey

586 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am betting the land battle sequences from the videos are from before Sid revamped it to be turn based. I have a screaming system and they move fine to the available squares....they just don't romp across the screen like the videos in the previews.
DanTheHut
Powder Monkey

114 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They do move fairly slowly between squares for me too.. but not ridiculously slow..

At first I thought the ship battles were running slow but i think it was just that big wooden ships are slow Smile
El Austriaco
Powder Monkey

447 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi

i had the problem too
but when sneaking into cities
superslow

i set the res to 800 x 600 and turned the antialiasing off in my gfx control panel

all other details are highest shadows on trilinear filtering off
works fine for me
dot hog
Swabbie

6 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Land battles are pretty slow for me. I've got all features in video setting disabled with 1024x768 res. I don't think it's my machine: i've got 2.8 GHz, 1 GB RAM, and 128 MB Video RAM.

I tried super high video resolution with all bells and whistles enabled and saw slow down in sailing and duelling. Took graphic settings all back to normal (everything disabled), and everything was quick again: everything BUT land battles.

I just think the land battles were designed that way. It sucks, because I think I'd enjoy them more if they were faster. As is, I don't want to mess with them most of the time: why spend 30 min to sack one town when I could be out sailing and having fun? I doubt turn-based RPGs would be as popular as they are today if you had to wait as long to make your moves in those games as you do in the new Pirates!

Land battles are the only feature of the game I don't care for, and it's not the idea or implementation that bothers me, it's the execution of the whole thing. They're just too slow. I hope there's some kind glitch holding things back that a patch will fix, but I highly doubt it. Oh well--can't have it all.

EDIT: Who knows, maybe I'm missing something. I'm going to play with things more when I get home--maybe my test wasn't as perfect as I thought. I hope there's a way I can get land battles to move quickly, because I'd love to be able to sack more towns.
DanTheHut
Powder Monkey

114 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dot hog wrote:

I just think the land battles were designed that way.

I agree. It seems like the the land battles and the people just are designed to move as slowly as they do. Hopefully we can lobby for a patch to spead up those pirates little legs.
luckybaer66
Swabbie

1282 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It isn't easy to move through tropical jungle and climb rocky hills while carrying a musket or a couple of cutlasses and a flintlock pistol.
marblegravy
Powder Monkey

329 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luckybaer66 wrote:
It isn't easy to move through tropical jungle and climb rocky hills while carrying a musket or a couple of cutlasses and a flintlock pistol.

Meh, realism shmealism, I wanna get in, kick some Spanish butt and sail away with a hull full of gold and wenches!
Tricon
Powder Monkey

110 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem, but remarkably the slowdown is reduced quite a bit if I zoom close(but not all the way) to the units, and order (to move...) via mouse right click.
Ramirez de Pietro
Powder Monkey

72 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

enemy troops move simultaneusly (sp?) well. At least the second group starts to move before the first is completely finished with moving.

The way the battles are right now, I wont do any except for the Montalban one.

Nice design decision to make the battles less profitable though. Thing that bothers me is: They COULD be greast fun. IF they were faster.
bryce777
Gunner

652 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They do get pretty tedious after a while. Just being able to move the next group while the last one was on the way would make it about 5 times as fast.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Technical Issues All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: