Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Crew Recruiting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beckett
Powder Monkey

503 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:31 pm    Post subject: Crew Recruiting Reply with quote

i know type of crew is of no relevance in and during gameplay since auto AI of game takes over but...

...what type of crew do you lads & lassies look for when signing them up

a) experienced
b) hardy
c) adventurous
d) eager

myself...i prefer the experienced, esp. when sailing & commanding big-gun ships, like SOLs, latge frigates or flag galleons
(i like to think experienced gun crews make for faster reloads, though i know this is a bloody fantasy and all in me loopy head)

also...what port o' call my fellow captains do ya prefer to recruit?

1) pirate havens
2) civilian towns

i favour buccaneer hangouts but if had to, usually favour english ports
(since english conscripts have been drilled in gun displacement better than dutch, spanish & french counterparts)
Roland
Helmsman

22541 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Crew Recruiting Reply with quote

beckett wrote:

1) pirate havens
2) civilian towns

I rarely enter pirate havens for any reason. I prefer to do most of my recruiting in towns of my own nationality - it's hard enough to get sailors to follow your orders even when they speak your language! I also do some recruiting in cities of allied nations, but usually not in enemy cities. I wouldn't want any of my crew hesitating when we do what privateers are commissioned for.
Capt. Cannon
Cutthroat

151 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Crew Recruiting Reply with quote

beckett wrote:
i know type of crew is of no relevance in and during gameplay since auto AI of game takes over but...

...what type of crew do you lads & lassies look for when signing them up

a) experienced
b) hardy
c) adventurous
d) eager

myself...i prefer the experienced, esp. when sailing & commanding big-gun ships, like SOLs, latge frigates or flag galleons
(i like to think experienced gun crews make for faster reloads, though i know this is a bloody fantasy and all in me loopy head)

1) pirate havens
2) civilian towns

i favour buccaneer hangouts but if had to, usually favour english ports
(since english conscripts have been drilled in gun displacement better than dutch, spanish & french counterparts)

Your first sentence nailed it on the head... It Makes No Difference!!!

Johnny Ringo- "This fight isn't with you"
Doc Holliday-"I bed to Diffuh."
(Tombstone)

http://www.fishnj.netfirms.com/

Capt. Cannon <((((((<
unfortunate crow
Swabbie

10277 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to remember in the Sega version that my French crews got killed easier than my crews of other nationalities. It seems like some nationalities were more prone to run up the white flag as well.
Asclepius
Cutthroat

11341 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: Crew Recruiting Reply with quote

Capt. Cannon wrote:
Your first sentence nailed it on the head... It Makes No Difference!!!

I agree completely. When I need more crew, I get them from wherever I am. City, Village, Haven or the nearest Ship. I do Sail around with lots of my own ideas as to what is happening, but where the boys started out, isn't something I worry about.

Asclepius was here
Bermuda_Shorts
Swabbie

156 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unfortunate crow wrote:
I seem to remember in the Sega version that my French crews got killed easier than my crews of other nationalities. It seems like some nationalities were more prone to run up the white flag as well.

I remember this from when I used to play the Mac IIgs version of the original Pirates!. I think it was something to do with the amount of crew on various ships, because I recall making a fortune plundering literally thousands of Dutch sloops around St. Eustatius. I don't know if it was an AI error or if it was deliberate, but if it had been the newer version you would have seen every inch of water covered in sloops Sailor

About the crew - it makes no difference whether they are "hardy" or "experienced" or even just "eager", as far as I can tell. It might make a difference but if it does it's so slight that it's not noticeable, and since your crew are just massed and there's no way to tell them apart, you'd never be able to measure this.

Ahh, the good old days.
Cussler
Cutthroat

2686 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't matter.

They're all cannon fodder to me. Twisted Evil

As long as they can swing a cutlass or fire a musket, they're good.

I prefer to recruit in civilian towns, simply because I rarely visit Pirate Havens. I only go there if I'm desperate for repairs or supplies, or if I want the Pirate Captain to raid a city for me.
Dave the Knave
Rigger

22948 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm assuming that the pirates I hire are experienced, because it's the same three guys all of the time...
Confused

I prefer to recruit pirates from the havens. It's always enjoyable to use my new crew to attack the pirate ship that I invariably coerce the haven Captain to send out in the first place! Har har har...
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Life at Sea All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: