Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Bug with land marches?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Technical Issues Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ieolus
Swabbie

889 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 2:05 am    Post subject: Bug with land marches? Reply with quote

Ok, maybe I am pycho, but when you are marching on land, is East and West reversed??? Try hunting for landmarks on a map and see what I mean.
Ieolus
Swabbie

889 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noone else noticed this? I'm not crazy am I? Heellloooo... Smile
Wolfwood
Boatswain

33917 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't noticed this... Then again, I don't use the compass to navigate when I'm looking for treasures, I just follow the landmarks, like: Ok, here's my boat and the first landmark is there, now, I have to go that way and turn left at the dead tree etc.
Ieolus
Swabbie

889 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do the same thing, but instead of "turn left at the tree" in my mind I "go south west from the totem poll"... except I really have to go south east according to the compass!
Wolfwood
Boatswain

33917 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No bug there. The compass points north, as it is supposed to. It does not point to the direction your men are moving.

You may have been fooled by the fact that in many other games the compass works differently, so that it points to the direction (north, south, east, west) where you are going to. In Pirates!, however, it always points north.
Ieolus
Swabbie

889 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said in another thread, thanks! I will look out for this. I thought I was going nuts Smile
Elder-Pirate
Swabbie

275 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolfwood wrote:
No bug there. The compass points north, as it is supposed to. It does not point to the direction your men are moving.

You may have been fooled by the fact that in many other games the compass works differently, so that it points to the direction (north, south, east, west) where you are going to. In Pirates!, however, it always points north.

Maybe so but there must be a powerfull magnet next to the compass on the upper view for it points north no matter where you head your ship nor where you may be located on the map, and that is a bug.

Only the lower view works ( half a$$ ) and instead of paying attenion to the red arrow ( on so called compass ) for wind direction, watch the long thin flag atop the mast as it allways points away from the wind.

On land use your telescope ( right click ) about middle of screen and from side to side and you can see whats in front of your nose past those trees.

Telescope is real handy at sea allso and when you use it the motion will slow down a little ( not a bug ) giving you a better chance of searching, unright click and you are back to normal speed. Smile
Sundog
Swabbie

467 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elder-Pirate wrote:
Maybe so but there must be a powerfull magnet next to the compass on the upper view for it points north no matter where you head your ship nor where you may be located on the map, and that is a bug.

Only the lower view works ( half a$$ ) and instead of paying attenion to the red arrow ( on so called compass ) for wind direction, watch the long thin flag atop the mast as it allways points away from the wind.

When you say upper and lower view are you talking about the two viewing perspectives when sailing? Unless you're describing something else, I don't see any problem with how the compass works in either view, the main view has north always oriented to the top of the screen while the chase view shows north in relation to your heading.
Wolfwood
Boatswain

33917 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sundog has it right. The compass works perfectly. In the normal view the north is, of course, always towards the top of the screen, whereas in the chase view (and in land marches etc) the big arrow points north relative to your heading, as it is supposed to. I see nothing broken there.

Consider the main view as a general map-like view where the north is always towards the top of the screen and you determine your heading by looking at the orientation of your ship, not the compass.
Elder-Pirate
Swabbie

275 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I see your point but in the main view check out the red arrow............notice no matter which way you turn or what location in the Caribbean that you are at it allways points to the N.W., now at the same time the long flag on the fore mast ( wind sock ?? ) does allways point away from the wind, so if that works so should the red arrow. I sure hope the winds not suppose to allways be coming from the south east. So I do believe this main view compass is faulty at least judging from the red wind arrow. I'll bet it is buggy and it should float. Smile By "float" I do not mean in the water. Wink
Wolfwood
Boatswain

33917 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The small red arrow shows the direction of the wind and the wind _should_ move around between about south-south-east and north-north-east, even on the main view. Note, that the wind direction varies a bit more on higher difficulty levels, but it will never blow from the west (this being the Caribbean and all).
Sundog
Swabbie

467 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elder-Pirate wrote:
I sure hope the winds not suppose to allways be coming from the south east. So I do believe this main view compass is faulty at least judging from the red wind arrow. I'll bet it is buggy and it should float. Smile By "float" I do not mean in the water. Wink

Actually, the trade winds in that part of the world do come from mainly from the east, so it is basically correct. This is one area where the manual lacks the explanation of the weather patterns, which has prompted comments that the wind is 'broken'. The original manual explains it like this:

'In all seasons, the prevailing winds are trade winds coming from the east. The classic sailing pattern in the Caribbean was to enter through the Caribbee Islands (lesser Antilles), put into ports along the Spanish Main, swing northward into the Yucatan Channel (off the west tip of Cuba), and the northeast through the Florida Channel northward to catch the North Atlantic prevailing westerlies back to Europe'.

Also as Wolfwood mentioned, the direction does vary more at the higher difficulty levels, but it will always be basically from the east.

Last edited by Sundog on Thu Dec 23, 2004 5:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Elder-Pirate
Swabbie

275 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so I'm stubborn and it takes a little while and you were both right. Oops

Now if you don't mind I have a date and she's wanting to dance. Shocked

What happend to the signature ? I noticed this before and it is checked.
KingWilly
Rigger

9821 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elder-Pirate wrote:

Have you purchased it from the Shop?

AKA. Will Scarlett.
Elder-Pirate
Swabbie

275 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingWilly wrote:
Elder-Pirate wrote:

Have you purchased it from the Shop?

Purchsed??........It allready shows in the preview when I write a post as it is as I read this post preview. I've never seen a phpBB site that I had to purchase a signature before it was shown on the form site and I do not think I will either. I only belong to about 20 forums on the internet and if I purchased on every one of them I'd probably have to give up something more in life like maybe my car to pay for it.

It is stated..........Attach signature (signatures can be changed in profile)............on each post before you preview or submit and it is checked here and in profile.

If this is true that I first have to purchase it then I pass and I allso mean the entire forum.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Technical Issues All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: