Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Selling or Sinking?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Life at Sea Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Perry
Swabbie

2746 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject: Selling or Sinking? Reply with quote

It seems a general consensus that you should keep a 'core fleet' of about 3 ships.

But, given that, what approach do you usually take, in regard to captured prize ships?

Sink or Sell?

When do you use either option?

I nearly 95% of the time Keep the captured ships, and try to sell them off (with any cargo I can't keep) in a nearby port. Sometimes I have to travel a small distance to get rid of the ships in a port that pays well for the goods. Obviously, if I am Duke of a nation, I'd like to sell the ships there, so I can freely repair/upgrade them , before the sell. However, I am uncertain wheter it is economical to sail into a port where I am Duke, in order to sell them..
loki59
Rigger

24252 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every little bit o gold helps in the early game, but if the ship has a lot of damage your speed will be reduced, also if you don't have enough crew for the minimum amount of crew required for said ships your speed is further reduced. Sometimes it pays to just take the cargo and sink them.
Cussler
Cutthroat

2686 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me it depends on a few factors:

1. What type of ship is it? Is it something worth keeping to use, or keeping to sell later?
2. How close am I to a friendly port if I'm taking it just to sell it?
3. What shape is the captured ship in?
4. Do I have the crew to spare?

Typically, I'll sink ships I won't include in my core fleet. I hate lugging a slow ship with no Cotton Sails behind me. But if the conditions are favorable, I'll keep a ship. If it's something I have no intention of using, I take it only if I can sell it quickly.
Capt. Cannon
Cutthroat

151 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on how close i am to a worthy port, also the speed of the ships and the price. Amount of crewman also effects it.

Johnny Ringo- "This fight isn't with you"
Doc Holliday-"I bed to Diffuh."
(Tombstone)

http://www.fishnj.netfirms.com/

Capt. Cannon <((((((<
Asclepius
Cutthroat

11341 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with most that it depends on several factors to make the decision to Sink or Sell. At the first of any adventure, I capture every ship that is at war with the country I am working on my promotions with. I rarely fire a shot, as an 18 year old, nobody can beat me in a duel. Therefore, every ship is as good as it was when I found it, and I sell off everything that the nearest freindly port can buy, sell all the ships I can. I never keep a "Core Fleet" as a single ship works best for me. I'll add one or maybe two more when I'm rich enough to fully man them, to sack cities, but my idea of a "Core Fleet" is a fully upgraded Royal Sloop with 20 cannons and 187 crew.

Asclepius was here
Undershaft
Powder Monkey

1150 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will generally keep the ships I capture and sell them as soon as possible. Even if I only get 10 gold, its better than nothing. I prefer taking them to ports where I get free repairs at least. I'm usually high in rank with a couple nations early on in the game. Sometimes this backfires when you have 7 barely afloat galleons putting along behind your beat to hell sloop of war and a bunch of spanish pirate hunters on your tail. I have an aversion to abandoning ships at sea, especially if it means giving up cargo.
rupertlittlebear
Helmsman

10381 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

remember that every trip to any port costs your limited pirating career 7 days.
Dave the Knave
Rigger

22948 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
remember that every trip to any port costs your limited pirating career 7 days.

Aye...and 52 visits are a whole year spent in ports already...so choose wisely, mateys, and make your visits count!

Thumbs Up
jakethescot
Swabbie

355 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After I capture the ships I use, I sink everything. All I keep is food and gold.

GO IRISH !!!
Dutchmans Bane
Powder Monkey

153 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually keep and sell the ships, if possible. I'll sink a ship if 1) it's too much trouble to get to the ship (Like if it's a long distance eastward from your ship and thus it takes too long to get to it Mad ), 2) I don't want to risk losing crew in a boarding action or 3)I'm a good ways away from a friendly port, and I don't want my fleet to be slowed down by a badly damaged prize.
Dave the Knave
Rigger

22948 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I usually keep and sell the ships, if possible. I'll sink a ship if 1) it's too much trouble to get to the ship...2) I don't want to risk losing crew in a boarding action...3)I'm a good ways away from a friendly port, and I don't want my fleet to be slowed down by a badly damaged prize.

Good thinking, matey. It's important to have flexible rules like these; who wants to be hampered by self-imposed difficulties?

I generally look to make a profit in any way possible- if not profit, then survival. If that means luring War Canoes out so I can take their food, and sinking the ships, so be it. If it means capturing expensive ships, then selling them immediately, so be that. If I do keep ships, I also do so if I can sell these ships and cargoes effectively. If not, I sink 'em.

Also, keeping a beat-up fleet hurts when you try to pursue an enemy. I missed a Treasure Fleet because I was hauling some scrap to Curacao, and as fast as a fleet of pinnaces I was not. The Spanish Treasure Galleon Captains hailed me, and taunted, "Hey, Senor! Get a Fluyt!"

I was not amused.
Captain Blood
Cutthroat

6396 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,
Makes me insane when that happens. That's why I don't usually use chain shot!
I don't like to poke so many holes in the sails of a ship I'm going to keep and put a crew in that I can't catch up with any other plunder.

Guns Blazing
Dave the Knave
Rigger

22948 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Dave,
Makes me insane when that happens. That's why I don't usually use chain shot!
I don't like to poke so many holes in the sails of a ship I'm going to keep and put a crew in that I can't catch up with any other plunder.

I ken ye, matey. That's why it's good to have a ship that can swerve into the enemy and board them quickly- like a pinnace or sloop class ship. Early in the game, if a fine Royal Sloop hits my little, ordinary sloop, I'll accept that, because I want that better ship, and I want it undamaged.

When I no longer have to be so careful- that is, when I'm at least a Count (tactically and strategically, the value of free ship repairs cannot be overestimated)- then I use chain shot without remorse.

I've learned to appreciate the way pinnace-class ships can dart ahead of my convoy. They are great interceptors- even when I have damaged ships in that convoy. Too bad I didn't have a War Canoe when that particular Treasure Fleet went by- the outcome would have been quite different...
Captain Blood
Cutthroat

6396 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I've just been lucky then. I have had to resort to chain shot so infrequently that I don't even really bother thinking about it any more.
I can always catch a prize without it and I really don't like the amount of damage that it inflicts.
Even close to a friendly port with free repairs I just can't make myself tear up all the sails and masts.

To each their own, I guess, but I really just don't like to fire chain shot and I certainly don't like being on the receiving end of it.
If I could, I'd take it right out of the game.
But then again, what fun would that be?
Lost
Dave the Knave
Rigger

22948 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I guess I've just been lucky then. I have had to resort to chain shot so infrequently that I don't even really bother thinking about it any more.

Maybe you are more skilled than I am, then. I find that chain shot is a great help to me when jousting with a clever enemy. As well, there is the enjoyment of watching the enemy's mast go down after a good broadside.

Quote:
If I could, I'd take it right out of the game.

As you don't use it very often, you might well say that you have taken it out of your game- not counting those pesky opponents that are so unmannerly to use on on ye...
Exploding
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Life at Sea All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: