Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Selling or Sinking?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Life at Sea Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Allronix
Swabbie

1871 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allronix wrote:
Three factors go into the decision:

1) Is this prize going to slow my fleet down?
2) How many improvements does it have? A fully-tricked out ship is worth more.
3) Do I need it to haul the loot?

sparticus wrote:

1.) Set a faster ship as the flag ship to drag your fleet around - then change Ships for the battles.

I tend to keep a brig-class ship for my flagship. Nice balance of speed, maneuverability, hauling capacity, and guns. Maybe I'm just unlucky, but I've only encountered the SotL once or twice in all the games I've played.

However, on the advice of some of the posters here, I gave the War Canoe a try. Holy smokes, it moves like it's got rockets attached! Add copper plating, and cotton sails, and you might as well have a gorram rocket! With triple hammocks, it even manages to carry a reasonable crew size for ship to ship attacks. The cargo capacity sucks, though.

sparticus wrote:

3.) No - the ammount of Gold is not factored in to the calculations - only tons of food and goods - but it will let you have a larger crew.

I meant "loot" in terms of luxuries and spice. Sell it at the right price and it makes you an obscene amount of cash. The pain, though, is having room in the hold for your ill-gotten gains.

Calico Jack? Hang him - but ALWAYS recruit his lieutenants!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
sparticus
Helmsman

44872 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allronix wrote:

However, on the advice of some of the posters here, I gave the War Canoe a try. Holy smokes, it moves like it's got rockets attached! Add copper plating, and cotton sails, and you might as well have a gorram rocket! With triple hammocks, it even manages to carry a reasonable crew size for ship to ship attacks. The cargo capacity sucks, though.

That might be why the signature of rupertlittlebear is :

also credit where credit is due - using the War Canoe was not my idea - Dave The Knave put me on to it as did rupertlittlebear.

Allronix wrote:

I meant "loot" in terms of luxuries and spice. Sell it at the right price and it makes you an obscene amount of cash. The pain, though, is having room in the hold for your ill-gotten gains.

Yes - this is something you need to balance - everyone has their own ideas - and playing Strategies.
Dave the Knave
Rigger

22948 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And you don't even have to be Duke, you can start having fun as a Count

Aye, as a Count/Comte/Earl etc. you do get free repairs. Being a Duke and getting free upgrades is the cherry on top- or the flag on the mainmast, if ye will.

Quote:
It all be in Jest - there will be no Keel Hauling around here.

Just a bit of Piratey Fun

Aye, it be! That's why my remarks were in fun as well!

Quote:
Finally, a helpful piece of advice

It's the only kind of advice I ever give!

Wink
DBear
Powder Monkey

248 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I do is I try to keep a big, fully equipped ship like a flag galleon for combat, a barque or another small ship for sailing east, and other ships as needed to carry crew and cargo.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Life at Sea All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: