Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Sinking a Villain
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Life at Sea Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Perry
Swabbie

2746 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:43 am    Post subject: Sinking a Villain Reply with quote

What happens if you actually SINK a Villains ship (Montalban, Mendoza, Raymondo), instead of boarding & capturing it???
Do you still get the information/liberate the daughter etc, or is that quest lost forever?
Maybe different things happen , depending on the Villain?
Anyone knows?

I could go trying it, but I’d need to try it out with all the 3 different villains, so I thought I’d first ask..
Geetee
Powder Monkey

534 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe you can sink the villians or named pirates. I tried to sink Monty (with an SOTL), and either went to the boarding scene after the masts crashed or reached a crew/damage level which did not change. Similar result with Morgan.

I have seen Raymondo and Mendoza missions disappear. I believe other ships can sink them - saw Blackbeard and Raymondo fighting one time but I went in and fought them without saving the game.
Asclepius
Cutthroat

11341 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geetee wrote:
I don't believe you can sink the villians or named pirates.

Montalban, Raymundo and Mendoza cannot be sunkl. You can literally bombard them until you run out of lead, but they will not sink.

Named Pirates can be sunk. They do not have ships that hold up any better than any other ship of the type they sail.

Geetee wrote:
I have seen Raymondo and Mendoza missions disappear. I believe other ships can sink them - saw Blackbeard and Raymondo fighting one time but I went in and fought them without saving the game.

Raymundo will fight any Pirate he comes accross. His mission will often drop from your Quest list as he is sunk by one of them. I've seen him sink a Named Pirate also, and they will not be seen for several years (game time).

Asclepius was here
brigatetour1700
Seaman

463 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asclepius wrote:
Named Pirates can be sunk. They do not have ships that hold up any better than any other ship of the type they sail.

Aye, named pirates can be sunk. However, Mendoza, Raymondo, and Moltaban will never be sunk in a fight against you.

Oh, but lemme tell ya, it really gets your boat when you are in battle with Henry Morgan and you see his ship depart fer Davy Jones Locker. Evil or Very Mad
Captain Blood
Cutthroat

6396 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided to put the "Can't sink" villians to the test once. I took my trusty, fully upgraded SoTL "Dragon" from a clean saved game where I had not gone after Monty yet and had several Mendozzas and Raymondos on my list.
What happened was that after I'd literaly pounded their ships to splinters the screen would pop up that tells me they've lowered their flag and surrnedered, then just as soon as I clicked "continue" the fight screen popped up and I was suddenly in a duel with whoever it is I was trying to sink and had supposedly just surrendered to me.
Anyway, it sure is fun to continually pour broadside after broadside into a ship you know will not sink no matter what.
There's a certain je ne c'est quoi about pounding a ship unmercifully with cannon fire...
It's all the better when it just keeps sitting there to take it!
Tom Pullings
Gunner

11279 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geetee is right about other ships being able to sink Raymondo. I saw him attacked and sunk by two unnamed pirates once. Very strange. I was still able to get a new clue and resume the quest, but it was shocking when it happened. I had turned away, because my crew was mutinous and I needed to sell a ship before sailing again, and as I was making for Santa Marta, down he went.
Perry
Swabbie

2746 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unsinkable ..? Surprised
I didn't know. Good though -> now I don't have to be shy about sending broadsides against our dear villains anymore Smile
Privateer
Swabbie

951 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you want their ship you might as well pelt it to pieces before boarding just to lower its crew numbers.
Captain Blood
Cutthroat

6396 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privateer makes a good point. The resale value of the villians ships goes down proportionally with the amount of lead shot you pound into them.
I don't shower them with broadsides anymore, I just board and pillage. The named villians ships tend to be worth a gold coin or two and I consider it more profitable to take them intact and sell them.
Still, it WAS fun to do it once. Exploding
Asclepius
Cutthroat

11341 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Blood wrote:
I don't shower them with broadsides anymore, I just board and pillage. The named villians ships tend to be worth a gold coin or two and I consider it more profitable to take them intact and sell them.

Aye, that is how I fetch the lumber from under their feet too, most of the time.

But then again, once I've become Count, Ship Repairs will be done at Cost «read free», I don't mind sending a few vollies their way, just to keep my Gunner happy.

Asclepius was here
Captain Blood
Cutthroat

6396 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They do get grumpy when they don't have work... Exploding
Dutchmans Bane
Powder Monkey

153 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asclepius wrote:
But then again, once I've become Count, Ship Repairs will be done at Cost «read free», I don't mind sending a few vollies their way, just to keep my Gunner happy.

I know what you mean. I usually try to pelt them with Grapeshot so their crews can hack my crew to pieces. Very Happy
Dave the Knave
Rigger

22948 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

The real game for me begins when I become a Count. Having no repair expenses is a huge help. I can be more aggressive in ship to ship combat, and hit a prize a few times without worrying about her value- or worry about my own ship being worn out too soon. This also makes a larger ship-hunting area more feasible- If I'm English, I can rove from Barbados to Port Royal, knowing that my ships can be fixed gratis at several stops along the way...free repairs is like a free insurance policy!

I hope all of this makes my gunner happy. I'm happy about it!
Undershaft
Powder Monkey

1150 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you. Achieving Count and getting free ship repairs makes a huge difference in the way I play the game. I'm no longer as careful about minimizing damage to my ship, and I certainly don't shy away from damaging any prize vessels. That's another reason I capture prize ships instead of sinking them, free repair and sell them. I like to keep my ship in tip top shape, and if I'm going to lose a week in port repairing 15% sail damage I might as well make it worth my while. If I have four or five ships and cargo to sell, I can make as much in port as I would chasing after Stede Bonnets treasure. I don't mind going into port a lot and losing time as long as I can earn some gold while I'm there.
Asclepius
Cutthroat

11341 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Undershaft wrote:
If I have four or five ships and cargo to sell, I can make as much in port as I would chasing after Stede Bonnets treasure. I don't mind going into port a lot and losing time as long as I can earn some gold while I'm there.

Absolutely wonderful reasoning here. I will do this very early in my Adventure as well, but before Count, I just rush in and take the enemy ship with my trusty Rapier instead of my Bronze Cannons.

Asclepius was here
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Life at Sea All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: