Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

GeForce2 Go, GeForce4 Go and GeForce FX Go/Video cards
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PiratesFan
Rigger

23509 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 3:28 pm    Post subject: GeForce2 Go, GeForce4 Go and GeForce FX Go/Video cards Reply with quote

"NOTE: NOTE: GeForce2 Go, GeForce4 Go and GeForce FX Go mobile processors are not supported in this driver. Please contact the manufacturer of your notebook computer for the appropriate graphics driver.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/support_oem "

This is what I found on the nVidia site for those people having problems with these specific video cards. You can try using their updated drivers with the card from the nViidia site but most likely you will have to deal with whomever you got your laptop from and force them to get you more compatible drivers. Which I have found even being with a huge business a huge pain in the arse. Reasons to build your own PC or get non name brand built pc. Less hassle but for bang for your buck Dell does seem to offer the best price for what you get. The only problem is they seem to use Specific drivers for their products they install.

Well just giving people a heads up that are having problems with this specific cards. Any other specific video card you having problems with please Give me all the information about the card and what operating system your using on top of that what model of computer if you bought name brand. I can do some research for you when I am taking breaks from the game. I can't promise you I can fix the problem but I can sure hopefully lead you in the right direction.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Amnesiac
Powder Monkey

197 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a fx go card on your notebook, there is a way to use the current nvidia drivers, even though they dont officially 'support' the fx go series. NOTE : I CLAIM NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANYONE ELSE'S ACTIONS. DO WHAT YOU WANT, AND ACCEPT THE CONSEQUENCES, BE THEY GOOD OR BAD. Anyhow, all you need is a modded .inf file and the drivers will work fine. You can get modded .inf's, as well as all of the nvidia drivers, both present and past, at the following link:

http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/

I own a hp zd7000. There is a forum for this specific series of laptop, and the vast majority of the members of this forum use these modded .inf's. In fact, it's the ONLY way for us to update our GPU drivers since HP hasn't released any compatible updates. No one at the forum has reported any problems that arose from these .inf's. The consensus choice for an updated driver is 61.77, which is an official nvidia driver. 66.93 is, I believe, the most current nvidia offical driver, but even with the modded .inf, it doesn't quite work as well with notebooks(laptopvideo2go.com states in its description of 66.93 that is designed 'only for some desktops').

Sadly, even with 61.77, I still have some performance issues with the game. As Dan suggested, turning shaders off will help quite a bit. Granted, your water detail gets greyed out and set at 0, making the water rather bland looking, as well as eliminating the tremendous reflections, but the performance boost makes this an acceptable trade off in the end.

Well, I hope this helps those of us who have fx go cards. Please post any other possible fixes that may improve the game...
MareNostrum
Powder Monkey

60 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 12:15 pm    Post subject: Pls help... Reply with quote

Hi PiratesFan and all others who might be able to help me..

I just installed Pirates and to be quite honest, I really like this game. Its different from what I am used to play.

However I have a huge problem with gamespeed during:

* Ship Fighting
* Dances
* Battles on land

While Seabattles are running smooth.. I encounter lag problems at other stages. With lag meaning: ..for example when I am fighting a captain on a ship, all my moves and that of the AI are really slow...

I turned off every additional detail settings that might harm speed, like shadows and better lighting. But still no improvement.

Can somoeone help me to fix this?

This is my PC config:

AMD 2,0 Ghz AMD Athlon XP 2600+
768 MB Ram
Nvidia Geforce MX 440 with AGP8X 128 mb
Driver version 61.77

I had installed driver version 61.93, but that have many problems at other games like... lag..screen flickering.

So after install of 61.93 I decided to reinstall the older driver 61.77 which led to smooth gameplay again (not with Pirates..I installed this game after reinstall of my driver)

I know my Graphics Card Sucks..but still this PC can handle:

Call of Duty
Call of Duty United Offensive
Sims 2
Fifa 2005
Rome Total War

without encountering lag and with settings set to high

So I dont understand why it cant handle Pirates..

any thoughts..solutions or help is highly appreciated...
sky
Swabbie

991 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, as you already wrote, your graphics card is not the best... the MX versions of the old Geforce cards are weak.
I would consider buying a new graphics card (doesn't necessarily need to be the ultimate super-graphics-card - you will also find cheap cards which are much better than yours). You will also see great graphic improvements in your other games then...
PiratesFan
Rigger

23509 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting another video card is always a solution but....

First try adjusting the sliders that the driver offers either turning down or turning up the performance of the card.

Try the new drive release 66.93 http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_66.93

I am assuming your running win 2000 or windows XP by the make of your processor

After installing the driver try again adjusting the sliders also there is the option to choose different settings for optimal play for some of the games you listed. It will take lots of adjustment with the actual Nvidia driver to get it to work but it sounds like everything is working ... also I know some programs may need to be closed while playing this game... Any messengers Yahoo or AOL or any other I would close ... you don't want one opening up in the middle ... Try cahnging the resolution of the game from the beautiful 32 bit down to the 16 bit...

These are just some option if you want to limp on with your video card. I wouldn't say its an old video card cause it is an 8x AGP card but it is one of the bottom of the line ones... but possibly one of these solutions will help.

If looking for a new video card 128mb and not FX version of nVidia and it seems the mx version of nVidia not working to well either and most ATI 128mb should work...

I am running an old Geforce4 Ti 4800 SE 128mb 8xagp and not having one problem and this card is 2 years old... so I don't think age has anything to do with the cards...

My setup:
non name brand computer -- built myself
Windows XP home edition (kicking myself for not getting professional)
AMD Athlon XP 2400+, MMX, 3DNow, ~2.0GHz
1gig Ram
nVidia GeForce4 Ti 4800 SE
Using Driver 66.93

Hope this helps
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
tcjsavannah
Powder Monkey

195 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amnesiac wrote:

I own a hp zd7000. There is a forum for this specific series of laptop, and the vast majority of the members of this forum use these modded .inf's.

Ok, this is freaky because this is exactly the type of laptop I just ordered from HP.com (my old laptop is about four years old and it was time for an upgrade). So this laptop won't be able to run Pirates! 2 without downloading these extra files from this site?

Or should I try to install it first and just see what happens?
Amnesiac
Powder Monkey

197 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need to panic!!! If you just ordered your zd7000, (which you should LOVE!!!) then it should come with the latest drivers. Even with my old drivers, (44.??) the game ran ok, it was just a tad choppy. Regardless, if you simply disable shaders, the game will run VERY smooth and you will enjoy the game quite a bit.

BTW, there is a wonderful forum specifically for the zd7000.

http://www.zd7000forums.com/

The people there are quite nice.
You'll find a wealth of helpful information regarding your new notebook.

Enjoy!!!
sky
Swabbie

991 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PiratesFan wrote:
I am running an old Geforce4 Ti 4800 SE 128mb 8xagp and not having one problem and this card is 2 years old... so I don't think age has anything to do with the cards...

Well, I think age also has something to do with the cards. It's just that your card was a really high-end card two years ago. It is much, much better than any MX 440, so it's difficult to compare these two.
PiratesFan
Rigger

23509 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

point taken... I decided to spend the extra money then while I had it cause i didn't want to have to upgrade later down the road if I could help it... notice 2 years down the road and I am still keeping up with most of the intense graphic games I play... although Pirates! isn't intense graphics but other games I play are and I am no having a problem... SO right now instead of buying a $100 vid card then and having to upgrade for another 100 later I just spent 175 then and have saved 25 in the long run although wehn your at the point of buying... normally you only buy what you can afford ... All I am trying to say is if you can afford to throw the extra money in to the top of the line ATI or nVidia card do it... It will save you money in the long run and like somone said before Research the cards before buying ... always a good idea.
sky
Swabbie

991 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, that's pretty much what I think, too. And another good thing of buying a good graphics card is that at the moment when you buy it you will be able to play all your games with fully enabled details Smile.
In fact, I never bought the really expensive high end cards so far. I think best it to buy a top card that is already about 6 months old or so... because these are usually cheaper than current high end cards.

And, as PiratesFan mentioned, it's really a good idea to look out for tests and benchmarks before buying a card.
tcjsavannah
Powder Monkey

195 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 4:52 pm    Post subject: Crashing on the zd7000 Reply with quote

Amnesiac wrote:
No need to panic!!! If you just ordered your zd7000, (which you should LOVE!!!) then it should come with the latest drivers. Even with my old drivers, (44.??) the game ran ok, it was just a tad choppy. Regardless, if you simply disable shaders, the game will run VERY smooth and you will enjoy the game quite a bit.

Ok, so after getting my laptop in on Thursday night, I loaded up Pirates! and played most of the day Friday without any problems.

Saturday, though, I noticed that it started crashing on me. The first time was right after I sank a French frigate in between Santiago and the island to the south.

The next time, I was sailing the open seas and as soon as I approached the coast, it crashed.

Sunday was the worst day. It crashed on me no less than five times in the process of playing.

I thought that it might be just from the heat of the laptop.. I've noticed the zd7000 runs pretty darn hot at times, but is it enough to crash it?

Also, I have AOL IM running at hte same time so that if someone messages me, it'll kick me out so I can talk to them. Would that be causing a problem?

Thanks...
GrapeJ
Swabbie

349 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:33 am    Post subject: chips, nvidia cards and cards in general Reply with quote

I find you get the most bang for your buck when you get the second fastest card or processor in the line. Intel, Nvidia & ATI have all figured out there is a small percentage of people that just HAVE to have THE FASTEST thing on the planet, and then overcharge for the modest bump in performance usually.
"Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for, because you can never predict when they're going to do something incredibly... stupid." Captain Jack Sparrow
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Technical Issues All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: