Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

have you fell for big ships
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Life at Sea Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you like attacking with Treasure Galleons
Yes
41%
 41%  [ 7 ]
Abstain
58%
 58%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 17

rupertlittlebear
Helmsman

10381 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave the Knave wrote:
Quote:
I could attack and take four ships with the frigate in the same amount of time it takes the galleon to capture one ship.

...thus neatly summing up why a frigate-class ship is better than any galleon-class ship.
Razz
I could take 10 ships in the time it takes any frigate to capture any ship.

War Canoes are greased lightening on speed.
Swordeater
Seaman

2009 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I honestly don't understand about galleons is why they have so few cannons. Yeah, you saw it right! I don't know about how historically accurate a galleon with 1000 cannons would be, I'm talking about game balance terms here... a flag galleon can have 40 cannons and 250 crew at maximum, exactly what Monty employs every time. Last time I lost against him on any difficulty level was with a brig with 30 crew, and even then I didn't intend to face him, I just tried to see how quick I'd be owned.
On the other hand, a large frigate has 40 cannons at maximum as well, but they are much faster and less clumsy. Large frigates aren't that much less common though, since non-Spanish often seem to use it for me. It would be much better if every galleon got 8 to 16 extra cannons... after all, a typical 32 cannon war galleon would get whooped by a typical 20 cannon brigantine, why would they insist on using those lost ships then?
Roland
Helmsman

22541 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a bit of quick on-line research on galleons. I didn't find much detail on 17th-century Spanish galleons. But the largest 16th-century English galleons had 55 guns. Sir Francis Drake's race-built galleon HMS Revenge had 46. This article says 16th-century Spanish galleons could carry 100 crew and passengers and 20 to 40 guns.
Dave the Knave
Rigger

22948 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Razz
I could take 10 ships in the time it takes any frigate to capture any ship.

War Canoes are greased lightening on speed.

A pardonable exaggeration; yet speed and maneuverability are exactly the reasons why I always have a War Canoe in my fleet, rupert!

...so I'll thank ye to put yer tongue back in yer mouth, ye rascally rogue!
Wink
Undershaft
Powder Monkey

1150 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave the Knave wrote:
Quote:
I could attack and take four ships with the frigate in the same amount of time it takes the galleon to capture one ship.

...thus neatly summing up why a frigate-class ship is better than any galleon-class ship.

Frigates are better than Galleons in every way except for cargo capacity. However, what's the use of having more space if you can't catch as much to fill it up, mateys? Am I right? Aye? Aye?

Yeah, you're right. The Galleons seem to be designed to serve as prey only, not as vessels for players to actually use. Thats probably why there is an abundence of Frigates, Brigs of War, Sloops of War, etc. They are much better vessels and make the game more fun. I had fun playing the Treasure Galleon. It was something new and exciting. I had never even bothered sailing a Treasure Galleon before. I just let them tag along with their cargo to the nearest port where I could sell them. Now that I have played one, I won't do it again. I'll finish my game, but the Treasure Galleon will be relegated to backup. The War Canoe is a speedy, manuverable little sucker and if played correctly makes a good pirating ship. I rarely use it myself because I'm partial to big broadsides. I just love shooting the crap out of other ships.
Blonde Pirate's Dad
Swabbie

3995 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the big broadside, too... I usually use a frigate for sea battles for that reason, lots of cannon fire...
Anybody got a rag and a match?
Kaboom!!!
Dave the Knave
Rigger

22948 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I like the big broadside, too... I usually use a frigate for sea battles for that reason, lots of cannon fire...

Aye, the broadside. That's what satisfies my desire to give a bit back to the ships that have been insolently shooting at me!

A War Canoe's broadside is like a toothless puppy chewing on your toe.

A successful broadside from a Ship of the Line is like Alford's sack on Brady in Super Bowl XLII. Time out! Time out!
Smile
Hornblower
Powder Monkey

62 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a big ship man. Never like the flimsiness of little ships. Ever since my first War Galleon, I've liked big ships. Then I captured my SotL and fell in love with it. It's perfect....
Capitan Incognito
Swabbie

435 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only used a treasure galleon for attacking in apprentice and journeyman level, my preference is really the royal sloop or mail runner... I do have a ship of the line if I want to bully other vessels... Very Happy
jbsmith
Cutthroat

835 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try sailing from Santa Marta to Trinidad in one those and you will see
why i don't like them too much.
Evasive Maneuvers
Swabbie

1479 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and ill say i only tryed the treasure galion for that one game. if i had just got a fleet of 7 or 8 ships and was heading back to sell them and i needed to pick a general cargo ship to fight hunters with i choose the ocean barque now if my flagship either a war canoe or royal sloop was severly damaged.
LesBrisant
Powder Monkey

298 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used one for my first game. Fought it in a sloop on apprentice level and captured it easily. Decided that the 40 or so cannons was absolutely awesome and used it for a bit. Then realised that 40 cannons = useless when you can't move.

I do use the SotL or Large frigates but every other ship I place below my Royal Sloop. The only other class I would briefly consider is the Brig class, they aren't too bad. After my first mess around with Galleons I decided they were completely useless.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Life at Sea All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: