Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

New Quiz Thread
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Pirate's History Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 432, 433, 434 ... 898, 899, 900  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pirate
Helmsman

109759 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll go with false since you made it sound like agreeing with you would be the right answer.
Rusty Edge
Rigger

2992 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll guess true because that's the remaining option.

When I went to Ireland I learned about a battle over a copy of a book in the mid 500s AD. The case went to court, and the King said -to every cow it's calf, and to every book it's copy.

But the people who hand copied the book (borrowed without permission) didn't think that the owner of the original was entitled to the fruits of their labors, and an actual battle was fought because of it, and about 3,000 guys died.
Mr. Blue
Rigger

68931 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pirate wrote:
I'll go with false since you made it sound like agreeing with you would be the right answer.

False is correct.
Roland
Helmsman

22541 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rusty Edge wrote:
When I went to Ireland I learned about a battle over a copy of a book in the mid 500s AD. The case went to court, and the King said - to every cow it's calf, and to every book it's copy.

But the people who hand copied the book (borrowed without permission) didn't think that the owner of the original was entitled to the fruits of their labors, and an actual battle was fought because of it, and about 3,000 guys died.

The book in question was the Psalter - in Latin, naturally - and its owner was St. Finian. The secret copy was made by St. Columba. Since monks were required to recite the entire Psalter every week in their prayers, the lack of Psalters would have been a serious hindrance to monastic practice - and, arguably, to the spread of Christianity.

The Latin Vulgate Psalter was translated from the Greek Septuagint by St. Jerome, who died a century before St. Columba was born. Insofar as St. Finian's Psalter was not St. Jerome's original hand-written copy, by King Diarmait's logic St. Finian's copy must have belonged to some monk in a monastery in Gaul, if not to the Pope.
Rusty Edge
Rigger

2992 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So St. Jerome's claim to fame was as a translator?
Pirate
Helmsman

109759 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True or false. Bikini Atoll was named after the popular two piece swimwear worn by women?
Roland
Helmsman

22541 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rusty Edge wrote:
So St. Jerome's claim to fame was as a translator?

Yes. He lived an ascetical life in a cave near Bethlehem - supposedly the very cave where Jesus was born! Supported by a wealthy patroness, Jerome translated most of the Old Testament from Hebrew into Latin. His translation, known as the Vulgate, surpassed (and corrected) previous Latin versions and remains the standard Latin version of the Bible. He also translated a second version of the Psalms from the Greek Septuagint. It was this version that Catholic monks used in their daily services until the 1960s. Jerome also wrote commentaries on Scripture and polemical treatises against Pelagius and Origen - and lots of other stuff. Among the Latin Church Fathers, the volume of his writings is surpassed only by St. Augustine of Hippo.
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will go with False. I would imagine the swimwear was named after the island. I know this island is where the USA tested the Hydrogen Bomb so maybe the swimsuit was named after it.
Rusty Edge
Rigger

2992 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leave it to pirate to pose a bikini question... Razz
Pirate
Helmsman

109759 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salty Dog wrote:
I will go with False. I would imagine the swimwear was named after the island. I know this island is where the USA tested the Hydrogen Bomb so maybe the swimsuit was named after it.

False it is and indeed it was vice Versa. The inventer claims it was named after the island rather than the bombing event but I'm not buying it because I believe that was what drawled his attention to the island to start with.

Your turn Caribbean Crusier
Pirate
Helmsman

109759 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume we are taking a break here
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry! Got busy doing other stuff and forgot about this thread!

Bonaire:

The island of Bonaire was first discovered by the Spanish explorer Alonso de Ojeda in 1499 who also spotted neighboring Curacao. The islands are documented on the earliest surviving map of the Americas known as the Mappa Mundi drawn by Juan de la Cosa in 1500. They were originally called Isla do Palo Brasil or Island of Brazilwood and were eventually deemed useless by the Spanish Empire.

Following this the Spanish enslaved all of the natives on the island and transported them to the copper mines of Santo Domingo which left the islands prime for settlement by other Europeans.

In 1526 Juan de Ampies was appointed Spanish commander of the ABC Islands. He brought back some of the original Caquetio Indian inhabitants to Bonaire and Curaçao. Ampies also imported domesticated animals from Spain, including cows, donkeys, goats, horses, pigs, and sheep. The Spaniards thought that Bonaire could be used as a cattle plantation worked by natives. The cattle were raised for hides rather than meat. The Spanish inhabitants lived mostly in the inland town of Rincon which was safe from pirate attack.

The Dutch West India Company was founded in 1621. Starting in 1623, ships of the West India Company called at Bonaire to obtain meat, water, and wood. The Dutch also abandoned some Spanish and Portuguese prisoners there, and these people founded the town of Antriol which is a contraction of "al interior" or "inside." The Dutch and the Spanish fought from 1568 to 1648 in what is now known as the Eighty Years War. In 1633, the Dutch, having lost the island of XXXXXX to the Spanish, retaliated by attacking Curaçao, Bonaire, and Aruba.

What island did the Dutch lose to the Spanish that caused them to get so mad that they attacked, invaded and took over Bonaire, Curacao and Aruba?
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hint - it was recaptured by the Dutch and is a Dutch island/city in SMP.
Pirate
Helmsman

109759 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can guess and if I'm wrong that leaves open just one last possibility. I'll go with St. Martian. Hopefully spelled it close enough.
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for you! St. Martin or St. Maarten it is! Your turn...
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Pirate's History All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 432, 433, 434 ... 898, 899, 900  Next
Page 433 of 900

Jump to: