Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

The Challenge Thread!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Hints and strategies Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guru
Gunner

1240 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Roland, good job Sailor

It's nice to see someone else taking up the challenge, they are really rewarding, and makes every subsequent game feel as if going at double speed Wink

Roland wrote:
Thereafter, I captured any pirate that started to harass me. (On the positive side, this boosted my early gold total and made it much easier to fend off mutiny.)

I'm also doing this.. Just as you say it will ensure you'll never run out of crew, and at least on the two highest difficulties wealth is not an issue in this challenge.

Roland wrote:
One of my difficulties was to remember to sell off my prize vessels at first opportunity (one of the requirements of this challenge). I usually drag them around awhile for extra cargo capacity. I had to replay a few port visits to dispose of extra vessels I had forgotten to sell, and I had to dump excess cargo a couple of times. But, since I usually sell all my guns, the 100-ton cargo capacity of my merchantman was usually sufficient (though barely so) for my strategy of supplementing my income via trade.

It's not the most important rule, but is there to ensure that you can't amass big crews for Land Battles and before besieging Montalban's Fortress.
Roland wrote:

Finally, I'll confess that I had to cheat once. Since I was playing at Adventurer, I didn't take Montalban seriously. When he used his special attack, the low slash, six times in a row, I couldn't jump over it after the first time. (Only later did I realize I should have parried.) After I was rescued from the island where Montalban had stranded me, I noticed I was sailing a sloop, not a merchantman - a clear violation of the challenge. So I replayed the combat and easily defeated Montalban in the rematch. I went on to gain 126 points and retired as Governor of Maracaibo.

It's so easy to not pay full attention, it happened to me too on the Fast Galleon Challenge. I got sunk by Colonel Mendoza after just a moment's lack of attention. But it's even more rewarding if you manage to win without cheating, and you get some nice practice on staying focused Duelling

Roland wrote:
I learned a lot from this challenge. But I do not plan to take up the Dutch version of the challenge, in which I would be stuck with a fluyt for the whole game!

Maybe not immediately, but you may come back to it later Wink I'm thinking of continuing my barely started Fluyt challenge myself after reading this Sailor
jlangsdo
Cutthroat

10932 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest a new challenge:

The Greedy Crew

Whenever your gold on hand passes 50,000, you must immediately divide the plunder. Your goal is to have the most gold banked before you are forced to retire.

What I like about this scenario is that it doesn't eliminate so many of the complexities of the game. It still makes sense to track Montalban, and it makes even more sense than ever to catch those rich smugglers that the barmaids talk about. Under this scenario there is no requirement to seek rank in all 4 nationalities, or to seek land grants, though it does make sense to rise in one of them. There is a real premium on being able to play at Swashbuckler level, and you have the option to move up levels along the way.
Guru
Gunner

1240 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Added Very Happy

But is the challenge really playable?

I challenge you to make a playthrough and share the story with us! Smile
jlangsdo
Cutthroat

10932 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A benchmark for playing The Greedy Crew : 431288 gold pieces.

Boring recount of the game:

The game went in phases. I started on Rogue. In the first phase, I focused on gaining rank with the Dutch. When I finally hit Baron, I had Dutch cities with beautiful daughters in Santa Cantalina, Curacao, Puerto Bello, and Petit Goave. My plan was to find Montalban and the lost cities before I ran out of time; also picking up pirates and treasure. So the second phase consisted of dancing for maps, sailing to Mexico, finding a city, dividing the plunder, and then sailing back east. I discovered more convenient beautiful daughters up in Florida Keys and Grand Bahama, so I didn't have to sail so far south. I think I averaged one division of the plunder between lost cities, and one after each lost city.

As I was off to find the last city, I took the irrevocable step of moving up to Swashbuckler; my larger cut of the profits would make a difference in the final count. However, then I remembered why I don't usually play Swashbuckler; I was fenced out of my favorite ship! And lost another to cannon fire. I even spent some time in prison. Thus began the last phase.

I completely underestimated how long it would let me keep going, dividing the plunder so often. I expected a year or two at Swashbucker; it may have been 20.

Having found the cities, pirates, and treasures, I made money the old fashioned way, by sacking cities and taking ships. At some point I realized how much money I was throwing away by stopping at ports where I wasn't a Duke, and how hard it was to recruit in a city where I had no rank. There were clearly 2 options - either rise to Duke in all 4 nation's eyes, as though I were playing a regular game, or get rid of English and Spanish ports (I was a French/Dutch duke at this time). I figured it was best to eliminate English Captain's of the guard in any case. Then the French and Dutch went to war, and I decided that was bad for business, so I started making more of the cities Dutch. I finally relented with a few cities that had no Dutch settlements nearby (and thus would remain poor if forced to be Dutch). I continued to plunder along as my pirate got more and more decrepit. Eventually I gave up challenging captains of the guard because there was no point; after that I quit dancing. Eventually I timed out after 35 years at sea; age 53 in failing health.

To beat that record, next time I will have to go to Swashbuckler sooner (Not sure if I can take on Montalban at Swashbuckler). I won't be in such a hurry to find the cities, because even with a Greedy Crew there is a lot of time to explore.
Roland
Helmsman

22541 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the report, Jack. What did you take as your skill? It looks like this challenge might be a situation where medicine would be of use in order to maximize your lifespan. I don't think I've ever taken that skill before.
jlangsdo
Cutthroat

10932 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Roland -
Yes, I chose medicine. I figured time was the thing I needed most.
I'm going to start a thread just about the Greedy Crew to keep this thread open for new challenges.
Guru
Gunner

1240 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm back (for now), and I'm ready to bring some old threads back to life (or half-life)..

Starting here!

I just took up my old Fluyt Challenge (start as Dutch in 1600, use only the Fluyt (sink every ship), and get 126 points).

After warming up to the game by getting slaughtered in a random Swashbuckler game, I restarted my attempt at finishing the Fluyt Challenge at Rogue.

Luckily I still remember a thing or two Happy Smurf Pirate I'm now in 1608 and up to about 74 points, having defeated Montalban, and rescued two of my relatives.

I'll probably posting some pics later, (I got to get my Photobucket up and running again) But here's the most exciting stuff:

1600 - Roger Fluyt started out in St. Martin. Chose Navigation as my starting skill to compensate for the Fluyt's somewhat lacking seaworthiness.
1601 - Had my closest encounter yet.. Having defeated Henry Morgan already, I took on Blackbeard with a crew of only 61, I believe, after just defeating another small-time pirate. My arrogance almost cost me the game, as I barely defeated him with 9(!) crewmen left (he had 150-160).
1603 Faced off against Montalban for the first time. He used the Rapier every single time I fought him. (Maybe it's only on Swashbuckler he changes it up?). And I did have to defeat him 4 times to find out where his hideout was (North of Vera Cruz).
1608 Finally defeated Montalban at his hideout. I had to fight his indian mercenaries 9(!) times before finally being able to sneak a unit past them.. Maybe I'm a bit rusty, or maybe land battles gets harder on higher difficulties? Anyway, with only 2 units (75 max-crew) vs. about 12-14 you got to do everything right. Luckily you only lose some crew if you get defeated, and you get to keep your ship every time, so it's only tedious and nerve-wracking.

Now I'm gonna try to keep my calm, and finish this game.. The fights with Raymondo may prove difficult, but I'll try to keep my discipline.

Last edited by Guru on Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Guru
Gunner

1240 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Continued...

1610 Had my closest encounter with Raymondo yet, his cannons taking 81 % of my hull before I managed to close in and finish him in a swordfight...Duelling

1612 Assaulting Raymondo up against the wind is a BAD idea! I quickly understood it, but it was too late.. I couldn't react fast enough to rig down before his chain shots.. I soon lost my mast, and thought this was surely the end.. But by then he had gradually sailed past me, bombarding me with broadside after broadside. Until at last, he "passed away silently in the dusk". I was safe, with 100 % sail damage and 87 % hull damage. This can't be a coincidence, surely this time I'm destined to make it?

1613 Found my Grandpa, finishing of the worst quests of the voyage.. The rest is technique?

Now we're writing 1614, I have amassed a total of 105 fame points, missing only 2 pirate treasures, 1 lost city (I have the map), and a couple of ranks with the English, Dutch and French. The wealth points should be easy, but I'll have to look up the formula to be sure..
Guru
Gunner

1240 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished it!

Retired in 1620 at age 38 in poor health..

I had done everything by 1616 except accumulate enough wealth Question It took me 4 extra years of pirate hunting and small-town sacking (max 160 soldiers) to get a total of 19000 acres of land, and 400,000 gold, giving me a 120,000 gold Rogue captain's share.. I had forgot how boring that process is.

But now I've finally completed all my "Starting Ship Challenges" at Rogue difficulty Very Happy And I feel this last game, with a max crew of 75 and no fencing skill really tested my skills at Rogue.. From now on it's all (?) Swashbuckling henceforth Duelling

The Spanish Fast Galleon challenge at Swashbuckler is up next, I'll see when I'm ready to attempt it.
Roland
Helmsman

22541 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations, Guru! The Fluyt Challenge at Rogue sounds fairly difficult - especially fighting that land battle shorthanded.
Guru
Gunner

1240 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roland wrote:
Congratulations, Guru! The Fluyt Challenge at Rogue sounds fairly difficult - especially fighting that land battle shorthanded.

Thanks Roland! Indeed, the land battles were thrilling, does anyone know whether difficulty changes AI tactics in Land Battles? It seems like the enemy units covered each other up a lot more, and it was more difficult getting a flank attack in, than on Adventurer difficulty...

But it's still the swordfights and naval battles that are giving me the most troubles..
Rusty Edge
Rigger

2992 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to me that the make-up of the army changes with difficulty- more lancers and guards, fewer archers and infantry.

It would be wonderful if computer games added to the A.I.'s bag of tricks as difficulties increased, rather than increasing the handicap. Making the A.I behaviors probable, rather than predictable would be great, too.That would keep the human on his toes.

What if sometimes the defenders actually defended the gate?

What if sometimes the cavalry stayed out of the woods, and let that to the scouts?

What if sometimes the guards sidestepped the pirates in front of them and attacked them in the flank?

What if sometimes the infantry charged the buccaneers instead of shooting it out with them?
Guru
Gunner

1240 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rusty Edge wrote:
It seems to me that the make-up of the army changes with difficulty- more lancers and guards, fewer archers and infantry.

It would be wonderful if computer games added to the A.I.'s bag of tricks as difficulties increased, rather than increasing the handicap. Making the A.I behaviors probable, rather than predictable would be great, too.That would keep the human on his toes.

What if sometimes the defenders actually defended the gate?

What if sometimes the cavalry stayed out of the woods, and let that to the scouts?

What if sometimes the guards sidestepped the pirates in front of them and attacked them in the flank?

What if sometimes the infantry charged the buccaneers instead of shooting it out with them?

Well, then we wouldn't stand a chance Wink

But, honestly, that's some great ideas!
Rusty Edge
Rigger

2992 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Guru. I'll put something in the appropriate thread so somebody at Fireaxis might read it.

Well, we'd have to engage on more even odds, or else plan on more attacks until we reduced the numbers.

Whether those are Indian, pirate haven, or our attacks, depends on the situation.

But the Hooked on Pirates crew is a crafty lot, and we would conspire to find more effective strategies.
sparticus
Helmsman

44872 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rusty Edge wrote:
Thanks, Guru. I'll put something in the appropriate thread so somebody at Fireaxis might read it.

Well, we'd have to engage on more even odds, or else plan on more attacks until we reduced the numbers.

Whether those are Indian, pirate haven, or our attacks, depends on the situation.

But the Hooked on Pirates crew is a crafty lot, and we would conspire to find more effective strategies.

Here's hoping They take note of these great ideas.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Hints and strategies All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: