Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Wait for me!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Hints and strategies Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hoochy Pirate
Powder Monkey

295 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 6:04 am    Post subject: Wait for me! Reply with quote

Why is it that when I'm humming along in a fleet of ships, that the brigs are the ones shouting wait for me and slowing me down? The galleons keep up just fine. Trade galleons mind you. I thought galleons were supposed to have problems sailing against the wind but it seems like (as far as a group of ships goes, with a sloop in the lead) galleons keep up pretty well while brigs of war just can't cut it.
Kerosene
Powder Monkey

306 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Each ship has different speeds for different wind directions. Your fleet can only go as fast as the slowest ship in the fleet. Check out the ship guide on the main page. Brigs are very slow going into the wind.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
colossus
Swabbie

900 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should also regularly visit the Shipright to keep all of your ships in good repair if you want to maintain top speed for all of your ships. Wink
Swabbie

1282 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Wait for me! Reply with quote

Hoochy Pirate wrote:
Why is it that when I'm humming along in a fleet of ships, that the brigs are the ones shouting wait for me and slowing me down? The galleons keep up just fine. Trade galleons mind you. I thought galleons were supposed to have problems sailing against the wind but it seems like (as far as a group of ships goes, with a sloop in the lead) galleons keep up pretty well while brigs of war just can't cut it.

Maybe those brigs took a lot of punishment when you captured them and you didn't get a chance to repair 'em?
Vid: BFG Nvidia GeForce 6800GT OC
HD: 2x160 GB Seagate Barracuda
CD/DVD: Sony
Case: Antec Performance 1 Series
PSU: Antec NeoPower 480
Monitor: Samsung 712N
dot hog
Swabbie

6 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Wait for me!" is exactly the reason I plunder and scuttle. I don't have time to wait on any blasted stragglers, man, I've got colonies to sack, women to woo, pirates to whup.
Kerosene
Powder Monkey

306 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dot hog wrote:
"Wait for me!" is exactly the reason I plunder and scuttle. I don't have time to wait on any blasted stragglers, man, I've got colonies to sack, women to woo, pirates to whup.

Yeah, it is a good idea to know how close you are to a friendly port when you attack a ship. If you are nowhere near a friendly port, than just take what you can and sink it. It isn't worth waiting that long slow trip back to a safe haven.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hoochy Pirate
Powder Monkey

295 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The brig of war I had in my fleet was tip top. And one of the supposed best sailing points of the brig is RIW... into the wind. So why is a big sailed Trade Galleon keeping up with my Royal Sloop while a Brig of War is shouting Wait for me! Wait for me!? I'll try again with the brigs. I thought I had repaired them, but I guess I could have been mistaken.
Sen-Dog
Powder Monkey

459 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it could be something to do with sail shape, or whether the ship is equipped with oars (as outlined in the pirate-pedia) for sailing into the wind. Just a thought.
Bunnysays
Powder Monkey

397 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the manual on page 22, it says that your fleet will sail as fast as your present flagship. Unless a ship is damaged I keep it with me and sell it. I assumed it didn't matter what ships you had in your fleet as long as your flagship was ok and was the fastest in whatever wind condition then you would go at that speed.
Corsican
Swabbie

944 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kinda agree, I've often switched flagships just to sail into the wind faster, I can always switch before a fight. and hey, you can get a pretty penny for a Galleon in good condition. Is this faulty logic?
LoneEagle013
Powder Monkey

48 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you check the crew number on the ship? Sometimes ships can run real slow when they are undercrewed (below the minimum crew number).

My flagship is a royal sloop, so after stealing two frigates and casualties, sailing home can be quite the challenge. I noticed that once I got more crew at the port and sold one of the frigates, I was moving along just fine.
bryce777
Gunner

652 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem I have with the big ships is they really eat up crew.

To have your fencing go well it is important to have a lot of crew on your flagship and that is hard with a bunch of galleons, but I will usually pick a few ships up, sacka town, change the governor, and sell them off.
Gunn
Powder Monkey

394 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with a fleet is that sometimes your ships get exposed to different wind conditions, due to distance and direction they are traveling in.
In general, keep your ship count to a minimum, unless you are heading for a port to sell some of them off...
Microwavegerbil
Seaman

3502 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that whatever ship you have set for the back of a large fleet (4 or more) will always tend to start asking you to wait. I was sailing with a Large Frigate, and had 2 Trade Galleons, 1 Brig, and a Royal Sloop with me. The Royal Sloop was in the back by default and just kept asking me to wait. Maybe this is why your Trade Galleons seemed to keep up, but the much faster Brig was not.
bigchief
Seaman

5304 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got tired of that happening to me. I use a Royal Sloop, and I was constantly getting that from whatever ships I had in my fleet. The Royal Sloop doesn't have quite enough capacity to handle enough men, and it totally lacks enough cargo space to carry enough food for the men, so I always have an extra boat, or boats, traveling with me. I would usually try to get the faster boats (other sloops, and especially frigates) to follow, but they couldn't keep up. Sometimes the boats were as fast as mine, but when i would steer near a storm to pick up steam, I guess they wouldn't get the effects of the wind, so I would always have to slow back down to let them catch up. In my last game, I ended up capturing an Indian War Canoe. I was going to just sell it the next time I was in port, but I noticed that it always kept up with me, so I kept it. In my current game, I am now attacking the War Canoes when I see them and adding them into my fleet. I rarely ever see the wait for me thing, and never see it if I upgrade them to Cotton Sails. I now have 5 litttle canoes trailing after me. This gives me plenty of room for some extra men, guns, and food, and I only let a big boat travel with me, until I can sell it off, or if I am planing a large invasion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Hints and strategies All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: