Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

LAST YEAR IN MARIANBAD
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> The Circle of Pirates Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Coagula
Swabbie

10143 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:40 pm    Post subject: LAST YEAR IN MARIANBAD Reply with quote

Sparticus- Thank you for your kind comments about my Triangle Trade Prequel story.

LAST YEAR IN MARIANBAD

These puzzles are meant as entertainments for use during long trans- caribbean voyages or the triangle trade. They all use the "Land Battle Grid" in differing manners. The "A-I" is your opponent and no rewards are involved. If anything of note calls for your attention A-I will call from the crows' nest "SAIL HO" so the puzzle is cleared from the screen.

(1) THE LAST STRAW- The grid is bare - no land features,trees, rocks etc are needed. You are presented with this;
O
OO
OOO
OOOOO
OOOOOOO
You must remove as many O's from one horizontal row as you wish. The A-I in turn will do likewise. You both continue to remove O's from any horizontal row until only one O is left. The player who is left with this single O is the loser. Try this with matches or toothpicks playing right hand against left. This game is seen in the film "Last Year In Marianbad."

(2) FILE FOUR - I played this game using graph paper so the grid is lined like that.. The goal is to line up four O's in either vertical, horizontal or diagonal file while the A-I, using X's tries to block you and accomplish the same task, which you in turn try to block. I have seen this game commercialized using plastic disks.

(3) ESCAPE - I have used this game to introduce new chess players the basic king and pawn moves, The grid resembles a checker board, perhaps trees and rocks can be added to all the red squares. The pieces can only move on the empty, black squares. At the near edge of the board, on each of the four black squares is a troop of pirates. At the opposite side of the board is one squad of cavalry. The goal of the cavalry is to reach one of the squares that the pirates start from. The goal of the pirates is to encircle the cavalry or trap them against the side of the board, in short, to allow the cavalry no moves. Pirates can only move forward. Cavalry can move forward and backward. Moves are turn based, one square each turn. Red squares may be decorated with trees or rocks but cannot be moved on.

These games may be good for the young'uns car trips, and the first one is fun at the tavern. If you know any other games of this sort please contribute (tic tac toe - no thanks )
sparticus
Helmsman

44872 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: LAST YEAR IN MARIANBAD Reply with quote

Coagula wrote:
Sparticus- Thank you for your kind comments about my Triangle Trade Prequel story.

LAST YEAR IN MARIANBAD

These puzzles are meant as entertainments for use during long trans- caribbean voyages or the triangle trade. They all use the "Land Battle Grid" in differing manners. The "A-I" is your opponent and no rewards are involved. If anything of note calls for your attention A-I will call from the crows' nest "SAIL HO" so the puzzle is cleared from the screen.

(1) THE LAST STRAW- The grid is bare - no land features,trees, rocks etc are needed. You are presented with this;
O
OO
OOO
OOOOO
OOOOOOO
You must remove as many O's from one horizontal row as you wish. The A-I in turn will do likewise. You both continue to remove O's from any horizontal row until only one O is left. The player who is left with this single O is the loser. Try this with matches or toothpicks playing right hand against left. This game is seen in the film "Last Year In Marianbad."

(2) FILE FOUR - I played this game using graph paper so the grid is lined like that.. The goal is to line up four O's in either vertical, horizontal or diagonal file while the A-I, using X's tries to block you and accomplish the same task, which you in turn try to block. I have seen this game commercialized using plastic disks.

(3) ESCAPE - I have used this game to introduce new chess players the basic king and pawn moves, The grid resembles a checker board, perhaps trees and rocks can be added to all the red squares. The pieces can only move on the empty, black squares. At the near edge of the board, on each of the four black squares is a troop of pirates. At the opposite side of the board is one squad of cavalry. The goal of the cavalry is to reach one of the squares that the pirates start from. The goal of the pirates is to encircle the cavalry or trap them against the side of the board, in short, to allow the cavalry no moves. Pirates can only move forward. Cavalry can move forward and backward. Moves are turn based, one square each turn. Red squares may be decorated with trees or rocks but cannot be moved on.

These games may be good for the young'uns car trips, and the first one is fun at the tavern. If you know any other games of this sort please contribute (tic tac toe - no thanks )

Yer - I remember something like File 4 back in High School - 20 + Years Ago.

Had totally forgotten until now.

Cool.

Thanks for reminding me of some good old times
ExtraCrispy
Boatswain

39052 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I understand anything in this thread. Nervous
sparticus
Helmsman

44872 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ExtraCrispy wrote:

Ignorance is Bliss

Coagula
Swabbie

10143 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's play " Last Straw" A practice game, just to understand the moves.

1-O
2-OO
3-OOO
4-OOOOO
Figure 1- a shorter version- I am going to remove as many O's from any HORIZONTAL row as I wish. I am going to remove 3 O's from line 4-
1-O
2-OO
3-OOO
4-OO
Figure 2- It's your turn to remove 1or many O's from any line. Reply to Figure 2 with your Figure 3 and I in turn will answer with Figure 4- We will keep removing O's. The person left with the last O has lost. I will reply to any and all on this thread.
sparticus
Helmsman

44872 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coagula wrote:
Let's play " Last Straw" A practice game, just to understand the moves.

1-O
2-OO
3-OOO
4-OOOOO
Figure 1- a shorter version- I am going to remove as many O's from any HORIZONTAL row as I wish. I am going to remove 3 O's from line 4-
1-O
2-OO
3-OOO
4-OO
Figure 2- It's your turn to remove 1or many O's from any line. Reply to Figure 2 with your Figure 3 and I in turn will answer with Figure 4- We will keep removing O's. The person left with the last O has lost. I will reply to any and all on this thread.

I removed 2 from line 3

1-O
2-OO
3-O
4-OO
ExtraCrispy
Boatswain

39052 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparticus wrote:
ExtraCrispy wrote:

Ignorance is Bliss

What does the Jihad have to do this this topic? Question
Coagula
Swabbie

10143 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AYE, lettuce return to the thread- Tankee Sparticus , fer joinin' this demonstrashun.

Seems I can take 1 0R 2 O's either rows 2 an' 4---OR---Take a single O from rows 1 OR 3
O
OO
O
OO
given

O
OO
O
O
choice 1

O
OO
O

choice 2

O
OO

OO
choiceR 3.

"Tis a head scratcher, sure. Ay'm leanin' #1 Gag me parrot squawks fer #2 - Sweet Mary, figure-head of me ship Abattoir, is certain #3 is correct. Well, Ay'll pick...SAIL HO! comes from the crow's nest. IT'S A FRENCH FRIGATE -CAP'N! Do excuse me gentlemen, I believe some cargo down the hull requires hajustments.
Captain Crispy please answer the practice once fer me! I shall return!
sparticus
Helmsman

44872 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coagula wrote:
AYE, lettuce return to the thread- Tankee Sparticus , fer joinin' this demonstrashun.

Seems I can take 1 0R 2 O's either rows 2 an' 4---OR---Take a single O from rows 1 OR 3
O
OO
O
OO
given

O
OO
O
O
choice 1

O
OO
O

choice 2

O
OO

OO
choiceR 3.

"Tis a head scratcher, sure. Ay'm leanin' #1 Gag me parrot squawks fer #2 - Sweet Mary, figure-head of me ship Abattoir, is certain #3 is correct. Well, Ay'll pick...SAIL HO! comes from the crow's nest. IT'S A FRENCH FRIGATE -CAP'N! Do excuse me gentlemen, I believe some cargo down the hull requires hajustments.
Captain Crispy please answer the practice once fer me! I shall return!

OK - I give up - this game is beyond me - even though I thought I understood.
sparticus
Helmsman

44872 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ExtraCrispy wrote:
sparticus wrote:
ExtraCrispy wrote:

Ignorance is Bliss

What does the Jihad have to do this this topic? Question

You Know E.C. - Off Topic is the norm - is it not Smile
ExtraCrispy
Boatswain

39052 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It violates the no politics rule.
Coagula
Swabbie

10143 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lettuce continue, Ay'm taken' cherse #1-

O
OO
O
O
Your move, Sparticus. Try to make me take the last O. You previous move was very good.
sparticus
Helmsman

44872 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coagula wrote:
Lettuce continue, Ay'm taken' cherse #1-

O
OO
O
O
Your move, Sparticus. Try to make me take the last O. You previous move was very good.

O

O
O
Coagula
Swabbie

10143 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A'ym thinkin' you unnerstan' 'cause yer gonna win an' thar's nuttin' I can do ter prevent it. But lettuce,to the end, continue so all may "GET IT"

I remove one of the Os, doesn't matter which, so I'll take the O from row one- leaving-

O
O

BUT A'ym starting GAME 2
1 O
2 OO
3 OOO
4 OOOOO
I take 1 O from row 4
O
OO
OOO
OOOO
sparticus
Helmsman

44872 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coagula wrote:
A'ym thinkin' you unnerstan' 'cause yer gonna win an' thar's nuttin' I can do ter prevent it. But lettuce,to the end, continue so all may "GET IT"

I remove one of the Os, doesn't matter which, so I'll take the O from row one- leaving-

O
O

BUT A'ym starting GAME 2
1 O
2 OO
3 OOO
4 OOOOO
I take 1 O from row 4
O
OO
OOO
OOOO

Game 1 - 1 x O removed, your Turn Champ Smile
O

Game 2 - 3 taken from Row 4
1 O
2 OO
3 OOO
4 O
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> The Circle of Pirates All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: