Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

"COAGULA AT THE ISTHMUS" Chapter 1 The Spy
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Coagula
Swabbie

10143 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:41 am    Post subject: "COAGULA AT THE ISTHMUS" Chapter 1 The Spy Reply with quote

"COAGULA AT THE ISTHMUS"

CHAPTER (1) THE SPY # 1

To make this tale of Coagula complete as possible I had to incorporate four earlier postings which have been revised.These posts (March 1-8 2010 ) will be deleted from Circle of Pirates. I also changed the format. Pages are not posted individually, but combined into 'chapter' posts containing several pages, so you won't have to return to forum to read on.

((Coagula drinks (always in moderation) in his rooms above the tavern "Broken Hoe".

Perhaps the proof that I've brooded overlong in this agricultural community lies in this bedside copy of the King James Bible opened to Genesis. My finger traces the line " a river went out of eden" and the first of this rivers' four branches goes through a land where there is GOLD! So, metinks on, why can't I sail up a river to search fer the pretty, yellow stuff ter pluck it raw. Ayel find me a shallow-draft pinnance or a mail-carrier, the Dutch ships might be shallow enough to get upstream; a sloop aye, a sloops the one,no no; a canoe that's best; aye ,a canoe I repeat as my sea-chest I pack. Ayam taken' a river tour. Jungle on the river-banks, alleygators, anacondas, maybe find a clearing to put ashore. Yargh -just explore, yargh-the gold, pluck it raw, straight from the earth; nuggets big as hens' eggs, big as hens-YARGH-just explore, find indian villages, pluck their gold. Find a mine-find a mining town pluck the gold. RAW GOLD waiting for me! Yargh!! So much gold! Too much gold? Bury the gold, bury it and make a map-yargh-wida pwetty red X . (note to self-pack a pin to prick finger for blood X ) Come back for the treasure. Sell the map? (Pack me some paper an'a quill to draw the map an' me treasure digger,aye,pack a pick an'a pin an'a pickle-tin ) Ah, thar be me hat an' me panache an' iyam out the d...

"Where's your cracker" squawks Gag the parrot. Coagula turns in the doorframe, (does his head wobble a bit?)
"The AI in SMP won't allow it, won't allow sailing up rivers !" Coagula staggers (more or less) to the bed and flops. Gripping the brass bedposts he tries to stop its' rocking. The bed tilts, dips, bucks and whirls. Moaning for mama, memories flit under his eyelids. His sister pleads for rescue; the ruined family, seated around the dinner table moan to him. He lies on the table pulling at table-cloth. The table tilts, dips, bucks and whirls - Montalban, hated Montalban, he punches the face-punches the pillow again and again. Exhausted, in a sweaty stupor, he sleeps; sleeps and finally dreams; dreams of droplets of blood falling like snowflakes; droplets of blood staining the faces of slaughtered captains; soaking the decks of sinking ships; a pleasant dream, a dream to to win a pirates smile.

Gag the parrot reviews the SMP mini-game architecture and suggests changes enabling river navigation. There are 3 venues to explore
(1) THE SEA- The open sea is where most of the SMP game-play takes place. SMP Extension has long curving, fingers of blue extending from the sea to penetrate the land mass. Consider them estuaries with all the permits of action as the open sea. Battles can be fought here 'tho maneuverability is limited. Shallow draft ships can sail farther upstream, enabling them to avoid hostile pursuit. Access to Gran Granada is enabled. The Mississippi basin can be explored and the seven golden cities of Cibola conquered one by one. Jungles line the banks of the Amazon and it's here we we find..ark..ark..Amazons..ark..an Amazon Nation. To get at these cities you beach your ship and the MENUE pops -Land Here OR Not?- and when you find a city or an Amazon outpost (similar to Montalbans)- again the MENUE Attack OR Not appears. If you decide to attack the venue changes to #2

(2)ATTACK TOWN LANDSCAPE - Where your platoons confront defenders and try to enter the the city up-screen. SMPE could put a river here too. Utilizing my "Silver Train Returns" terrain convert the brown road to a blue river. The river is an obstacle similar to rocks and jungle. Like jungle. a units' mobility is affected when crossing. A bridge over it would add strategic interest. Feint to the bridge to draw defenders there then cross upstream to outflank OR pretend a crossing and slip a platoon over the bridge. Putting a canoe on this river is too great a challenge for SMPE
(3)QUEST VENUE - This is landscape where you're searching forr relatives, treasure or hidden cities. (BTW shouldn't this search mini-game have a COMPASS !) I really like the scale of the figures here and wish there were more game-play challenges, like single UNIT combat (the figure size in 'sneaking thru town is even more attractive for this sort of single platoon combat but this game-play concept is beyond SMPE, I am really trying to build the Extension on foundations that already exist.) or meeting a rascal and having a "shipboard type" duel but under palms. I suppose a river can fit in here and the platoon in a canoe but how the searching is enhanced, or different from #1 by this is moot. Also moo...Ark

"Shut your beak you prattler, my head has split like a melon." I reach for the flask...'tis empty...Well, downstairs ayell be to tell of the "Sacking of Gran Granada". The ner' do wells gather round as I elbow the landlord.."err"..and he wakes to signal his daughter Bess, black-eyed Bess, who brings one full an' foaming. I opens the Logbook of Captain Thanatos and read aloud -

"We skirted the Miskito coast an' up the the Rio San Juan 'till Lago de Nicaragua, nestled inna bowl of tropical jungle. Beyond the lake is the town. Even at that distance I can see the houses an' fortifications that surround it;
the long ragged flags, fluttering from the rooftops; the brown clay houses an church spires-and the scavenging
birds who wheel over it endlessly, like flies circling a ripe fruit." Some brew spills...Argh..down my chin an' i
hears the mail-coach clattering on the cobblestone courtyard. Bess, with a dark red "love knot" ( a sign from that beauty to me?) plaited in her long black hair, hands me a wax-sealed packet an' another fresh brewsky, the darling .O..how I longed to continue about the sea-wolves crouched by the cannons, and their sweet avaricious grins ; an' the plundering, an the justly deserved, sever punishing of Lord Montalban but the packet on me lap was marked -To That Windbag Coagula-From Captain Garcia, Chief o' Lands End- URGENT-So blowing a kiss to Bess, an' more than wink as I p ass her, I with packet (and mug!) go to privicy.

The first part is a string of insults (directed at my literary style) and invectives (toward me and my mother- SMP, I love this guy) that I will omit "for the sake o' the children" Argh!
Scannin' it quick-like some phrases are peaking interest-FOUNTAIN OF YOUTH-SECRET OF SOLOMON'S' KEY-
mounted women AMAZON ARCHERS- HIPPOLYTE, QUEEN OF THE AMAZONS- A brew spilling, up-river adventure revealed in the next posting-"MESSAGE FROM GARCIA"

Last edited by Coagula on Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Coagula
Swabbie

10143 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CHAPTER (1) THE SPY #2

MESSAGE FROM GARCIA

From Captain Garcia - Pirate Chief of Lands End
To Coagula
Dear "Great Windy,

The "FOUNTAIN of YOUTH" is in the great, central pyramid at the "SUNKEN CITY". What catastrophe caused this vast temple complex to rest half submerged at the great lake, quien sabe (who knows). You might find the city if you are exploring rivers randomly. {suggestions as to how river access may be added to SMPExtension are in the posting -SAILING UP RIVERS) Study the orderly geometry of these ruins; walk the wide avenues; wonder at the scale of the central structure. You are safe. Silencio en esta ciudad del morte.

But if you return to these temples seeking rejuvenation, yourself renewed,a younger ,new you, have in your possession "SOLOMON''S KEY" and prepare for armed struggle. This city is not dead; it merely slumbers and "SOLOMON'S KEY"
rouses it-violently - Warning, men will die for your vanity.

The key's properties, in addition to accessing the "FOUNTAIN of YOUTH", are these; you relate to animals - enemy cavalry's
combat effectiveness is reduced to infantry; this animal magnetism is attractive to women: some skills are increased - you fence better; you heal - BUT - memory will fail.

No one remembers which river to sail up to find the KEY. Many rivers are lined with dead trees, but when both banks are dense with dead trees; when further passage is blocked by a swamp of dead trees hung with corpses you have found the right place.

Brave men beg their captain to turn back but beach your craft then choose-LEAVE or ATTACK! Leave -and your suddenly returned to the river's mouth. Attack-presents you on the familiar terrain with a city at the top, but reaching the city's gate is NOT your goal. Under every meadow square is a latent red cross that becomes visible when one of your units stands on it.
The crosses remains visible when you leave that square. ONE square does not have the cross,it has the KEY, and finding it is your objective! Consider the crossed squares as eliminated from your search but not from battle play!

The terrain favors the AMAZON ARCHER CAVALRY they have a defense factor equal to buccaneers. The moral of your troops, affected by the hanging copses, is "wavering" but moral improves as/if cavalry units suffer losses. j They have the normal cavalry movement factor of 3-they are like mongol archers, so they can shoot then move or move then shoot during any/all of their 3 moves They must be one square away or closer to have any accuracy. Their accuracy when shooting is minor and worse when shooting into jungles. They want to chip away at your units. Officers and pirates destroy them and will always get a second chance to attack a nearby enemy unit. Amazons have a total of 12 units, but only 4 can be fielded at the same time. When one of their units is eliminated a replacement will emerge from a jungle or the edge of the board. Buccaneers can fire first then retreat, even into jungle.

PART ONE SUMMARY- Play consists of defending while searching for the KEY square. Play ends once a soldier unit finds
the KEY. It appears super-imposed over the screen. It is a double paddle key that also resembles a double bladed battle axe!

PART TWO-The captain is immediately transferred to the interior of a flowery, vine festooned temple. (previously described in "DOUBLE OR NOTHING" platforms and stairs expose its' "ship-deck" derivation)

THE AMAZON QUEEN, Hiippolyte, gripping a vine, swings down from the platform to challenge the captain. She waves the axe/key. A point extends past the axe blades so it is also a thrusting weapon. They duel. If the captain is defeated, action returns to the battle terrain of part one, which is exactly the same but the KEY square is in a new place and must be found again. If the captain wins the duel Hippolyte yields, kneels and presents the KEY. But first----

PART THREE - The captain must DANCE with the queen. If he makes too many errors in this dance he must duel her again.
If he loses the duel, action returns to the battle field. Should he dance well he holds the key victoriously high. (as when he sinks a ship) Hippolyte offers another dance ( entirely AI controlled) allowing you, the player, to sit back and enjoy her energetic gyrations.) She offers an additional dance for your officers to dance with a bevy of Amazon maidens while you try to follow her without AI control.(no penalty for not dancing well ) AND the moral of the crew is automatically boosted to "very happy".

PART THREE-CONCLUSION-A menu card appears stating
DANCE AGAIN-( The group dance may be repeated as many times as you wish, for fun)
RETURN TO SHIP-Hippolyte whispers "You may now wake the "SUNKEN CITY". Beware of LION GUTS! Your ship(s) are
returned to the mouth of the river

(This reward dance, I may have ?? posted earlier where pirate officers take the place of the towns' upper-crust dandies while the captain dances with the govnas daughter in the ballroom of the town whose nationality has been changed. Moral is also boosted here.)

books?id=S6oLwbKfTDEC&dq=solomons+key&printsec=frontcover&source=in&hl=en&ei=Kob2S4SZE8L-8Abs0ZTECg&sa=X&oi=book

http://folk.uio.no/thomas/lists/amazon-connection.html
Coagula
Swabbie

10143 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CHAPTER (1) THE SPY #3

Coagula in his room above the tavern "Broken Hoe" tosses the page he has read to the mess on his writing table,
stretches and yawns. There is a damp chill in the air. His mug emptied, there's just that last whisper of a sip.nay,there's not even whisper, just a stale smell. Time for a fill-up. Time to continue the reconnoiter for L'Olannais, time to prepare for that secret agent he must report to.

The weather is turning, he smells a salt breeze from windward. At the casement window he stretches again. Two peaks in the distance, volcanos, called "the Gemini" frame the greying sky. When they smoke, people joke, "Castor is berating Pollux." http://www.clarkfoundation.org/astro-utah/vondel/gemini.html The road follows the river, a thin sulfurous stream that most will drink but it takes getting used to. Both meander through the plantations, cleared from the jungles' grip. Patches of jungle, like beads on a chain, offer shady relief to the road-weary. But most pleasant to view is Bess washing laundry in the nearby shallow stream. Her bodice and long black hair loosened, entirely a tableau of pastoral contentment.
Sigh- am I sleeping a dream celled "loneliness". Should i settle and and live with a woman, with Bess or a woman like Bess.... and live like a woman, repeating the routine of going to sleep each night in the same protected corner and at about the same hour. There are so many that live that way - like women, shut up behind the walls of a house, or a shop.
I live with those who say there is no "yours" and "mine" but that everything is ours. And no one asks,"Who goes there?" and no doors are secured with locks and chains, because everyone is everyone's brother. And the only rule is loyalty. You cannot be weak or a coward. We freebooters live constant challenge to the sun, wind and untamed ocean waves. We reject any routine, every routine. I do not eat every day. My table is always set different , depends on OUR plunder, sometimes sumptuous and costly, or simply meager, but never the same and always shared with those who don't live within walls, those who don't live like women.

Bess straightens, wipes a stray wisp of hair from forehead, sees me at the window, waves wildly and smiles. My heart, like a trained falcon, flies to her. My broodings evaporate - Is this the love poets rhyme of? Holding the wash basket on her head (looking like a caryatid) and lifting her skirts she clambers out the stream. "HOY"
there's a cry across the cobbled courtyard. ' Tis Tim the ostler, one of me cronies, who stands in the hayloft above the stable. (can he see as clearly into my quarters as I, into the loft ?) He's gesturing wildly and points shouting "TROOPERS", and 'tis true, now I sees 'em too. Bess, not seeing but hearing Tim, hurries to prepare
to give fresh service, perhaps too FRESH! And I.... 'tis time to pack, they've got the scent an' are hot fer me, time to pack.. O I'm a tad panicky...I Iooks to me papers...I'll trust to me glibatude..there's plenty of time for you to read -(the mini-game)

LION GUTS

The properties of SOLOMON'S KEY, in addition to accessing the "FOUNTAIN of YOUTH", are these; Animal Magnetism - enemy cavalry's combat effectiveness is reduced to infantry but they retain their mobility - so you can attack cities without the caution you may have had before.. Barmaids will ALWAYS stroke your arm, a G's daughter will NEVER insult your dancing ability (skills increased - you fence better; you heal.)

A new villain, "LION GUTS", emerges as a constant menace. An ardent STALKER, he NEEDS the KEY, and hunts you like a "named pirate or pirate hunter."

Also known as Ponce de Leon (de Leon = of Lion and Ponce= paunch = stomach, an english speaker prefers to say "lion hearted" as with Richard the Lion-hearted but he may also speak of one who has "guts" or is "gutless" - lacks intestinal fortitude - Ponce refers to this same fortitude.) This Spanish grandee, having failed in his expedition to find the so-called "legendary" Fountain of Youth seeks to resuscitate his reputation by reaching the FoY with Solomon's Key (SK). Malarial bouts, with fevers and chills, fuel his need but, limit his emergence to every 3 to 5 months. Like a schoolyard bully, or a needy girlfriend, or pesky stop sign he will distract you and demand attention - every 3 to 5 months. Expect to find his galleon announce an offer to buy the key (a menu card will appear with the amount of gold he offers and gives you the choice SELL or DO NOT SELL( = ATTACK). Each time you encounter him his offer becomes higher. His wealth is unlimited!

Tall, resembling a spanish governor; bald and suffering from jungle-rot his complexion is marred fugally green with dots of purple scupper-sores, that grow larger and more numerous, as time goes by: likewise his shade of green deepens. Extremely sensitive about his looks, insults directed at these afflictions affect his modest fencing skills.

A sail, blazoned with the red lion of Aragon, identifies his fully armed but lightly manned galleon. Trailing seaweed does not initially affect its' speed but eventually grows to raft-like proportions. Worms have penetrated the neglected hull and bore their way to the poop. The gradual decay of both he and his ship are metaphors for the Spanish empire, feebly limping toward its' sad destiny. The galleon can be sunk, but like the Phoenix will appear again-weaker - and weaker again. It cannot be captured.

He may find you in a tavern, A governors daughter may request a "meeting" at the fountain. The menu card SELL or DO NOT SELL appears. His men may appear to support a city you are attacking, if outnumbered you may decline the battle.. The amount of gold continuos to increase. His need is obvious and pitiful; his courage envied; His persistence is admirable but futile. Futile because if he should defeat you in any manner the key RETURNS to the Amazons. It cannot be earned by contest.
The ONLY way he can get it is if you sell it to him..

Though harried by "LION GUTS "- you "live the life" - your ambitions, missions and adventures continue. OR upon reaching a certain age and failing in health you decide to see yourself renewed, a younger, new you. Find the area that pulsates with geologic activity. MANY geysers in the water partially block the delta of the river seek..
"LION GUTS" will be waiting there. He again makes his offer, an astounding sum! You see there is only one crew member on his ship. You board and find no one to challenge. You kick open the door to the captain's quarters, "LION GUTS" rises from the bed, hugs you and dies in your arms.

You sail past the geysers toward the "SUNKEN CITY"- my next posting!)

HISTORICAL NOTE- Juan Ponce de Leon was attacked by indians during his second visit to Florida (1520?) . He died of his wounds. Buried in Puerto Rico, his epitaph reads "Here lies the bones of a Lion - Mightier in deeds than in name."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caryatid
http://www.redbubble.com/search/caryatid
Coagula
Swabbie

10143 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CHAPTER (I )THE SPY #4

While you've been readin ''Lion Guts", Ay'yv tallied my goods and there's not much that can't be replaced. Me books, Logs and papers Iyum stuffing into a sea-bag. These papers be me spyin' report ready to deliver. A stomping on the stairs, then quiet on the landing, then tippy- toes to me door and a gentle tapping.
"Enter" I say neutrally, me pistols on me lap, me hands on me pistols. The knob turns. The door opens. Bess pokes her head in. Her long black hair again plaited in a love knot (a quaint courting signal) with that dark red ribbon."The soldiers have marched past, maybe they will stop here on the way back." She enters like a pinnance with bow guns blazing. My blood flows in an opposite d erection. With eyes downcast she prepares to deliver a memorized message.
" I've been ordered to tidy here," she inhales deeply, so deeply, and continues, "Father said what a fine guest you are and he'll profit nicely if you chose to stay longer, and should I prove to be an asset to to that end he will be mightily pleased." Her bodice is "carelessly" loosened.
Linger longer ? Could be the title of a drama Bess and I will perforce act out and seems to be starting. Ay'ym thinkin' with empistoled fists 'tis a drama might suit me dearly. Her eyes have wandered to the table and me papers upon it, the uppermost being-
"Amazon Archer Warrior ?" she enquires, as I cover piled papers with pistols.
"Tis a poem I've not finished, but here is another. Let's stand by the window and read aloud please". Her artless semi-literacy charms me, and she gets the cadence quite naturally, repeating a passage entire, until the rythm is right. 'Tis the twin peaks, clearly, as Castor and Polix out my window, has me attention. Bess reads from the Garcia Letter;

SUNKEN CITY POEM

You don't have to imagine the ruins.
They've scattered all old Carabbee.
but you've never seen 'em , so many
ranked soldiers that march to the sea.

The tips of the first row can barely be seen.
The next stand taller, maybe halfway.
The next row, in shallows that still can be sailed.
The next row half beached, like a whale.
Two rows more stand on the ground
the width between them can be clearly found.

The width of a temple stands each from another,
front and rear, port and lee,
like soldiers, ordered - march forward,
forward, into the sea.

Centrally stands pyramid captain,
nine squares, three levels tall.
and shielding his flanks
stand more ruined ranks.
I haven't stopped counting them all
guarding the rear
yet more ranks appear
I haven't stopped counting them all

'You're a poet??
"Well..." (Ay'ym to modest to admit it.)
"What do you do, sir? Really." Absently tugging at the bodice bows.
"Ay'ym a pirate." Wita wink, knowing the truth is seldom believed.
"For sure, and I loves a highwayman! Hah! I know for a fact your an arms trader!"
"Tis true, that's what I do." (And a perfect cover it is,) "'Tis true I I repair and replace, sell buy or barter an assortment of swords, and knives of all flavors, pistoles and muskets" ancient ,but working, and to the Governor himself, I offered a few, rare, brass cannons, cheated from pirates, they are Sir, and deeply discounted for you only, were my words exact."
"For real! You spoke to the Guvna'."
"Ay'v been to the barracks and seen muskets stacked, counted the cannons in the fort, and been to the armoury to list the stock they'd be needin'' to properly ward off an attack. Gunpowder too, of me own manufactory." (But Ay'yl never deliver, except for some small sales. bargains i surrender to earn a certain reputation.)
"So your wealthy," she plucks at the laces, "as well as handsome"
"Healthy and wise, don't leave off. And don't leave off reading. Ay'ym sure yer father won't mind. Read from this."
Bess inspects the binding "Log of Captain Thanatos, of the ship Arachine- what's Arachine?"
"A woman and spider combined."
'I don't believe it."
'Check Wikapedia, there's a picture."
"Wikapedia??"
'It comes much later Bess. Read on."
She bends over the table, toward the book between her elbows, and reads. Bess presents a view so striking, Ay'ym reminded of Castor and Pol[ux.

.http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c1/Arachne.jpg&imgrefurl=http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:
http://www.thanasis.com/store/arachne.htm
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> The Circle of Pirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: