Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Unable to Initialize DirectX???
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Corsican
Swabbie

944 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 7:43 pm    Post subject: Unable to Initialize DirectX??? Reply with quote

TG I'm able to play on my home system! Smile But my on my Sony laptop I keep getting an 'Unable to Initialize DirectX' when starting. I've downloaded the newest version (DirectX 9.0c) and run dxdiag and it seems to test fine until I try playing Pirates! ???
Do I not have enough of a vid card? I'ts a VIAO P3 994MHz/256MB. How do I check what kind of vid card is on my laptop? Anybody else have any suggestions??
PiratesFan
Rigger

23509 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uninstall directX and then install the version of the CD or DVD and see if that helps
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Firaxis_Barry
Firaxian
Firaxian

347 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Unable to Initialize DirectX??? Reply with quote

Corsican wrote:
TG I'm able to play on my home system! Smile But my on my Sony laptop I keep getting an 'Unable to Initialize DirectX' when starting. I've downloaded the newest version (DirectX 9.0c) and run dxdiag and it seems to test fine until I try playing Pirates! ???
Do I not have enough of a vid card? I'ts a VIAO P3 994MHz/256MB. How do I check what kind of vid card is on my laptop? Anybody else have any suggestions??

We had a similar problem with one of our machines and it turned out we needed to find a motherboard update online. You may want to check the Sony support pages and see if there is something available.

-Barry
Firaxis Games
Corsican
Swabbie

944 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks FB and PF! I'll do that when I can get off my home sys playing the game! Smile You are giving me osme hope here, spend half my time on the road and it's been kind of a convienance..home playojng the game and on the road looking over the Forums.
I could help more of the online questions but there are so many more qualified.
Max
Powder Monkey

22 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 4:39 pm    Post subject: Is your graphics card running at full hardware acceleration? Reply with quote

I had the same problem as you - then realised that I still had my graphics card to only do minimal acceleration as a leftover from some other game.

So I changed it to maximum acceleration, and the game ran fine.
Corsican
Swabbie

944 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good suggestion Max, how do I do that, specifically? Any help would be appreciated!
rupertlittlebear
Helmsman

10381 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PiratesFan wrote:
Uninstall directX and then install the version of the CD or DVD and see if that helps

I'm game. Any Suggestions? How do you uninstall Directx anyway?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Technical Issues All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: