Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Pie floater
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Tavern Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Blue
Rigger

68709 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparticus wrote:
Mr. Blue wrote:
So could be I was mistaken and Eu3 is real life? Does that mean RL is a simulation?

And as such - we all disappear when the power goes off.

Ah, a UPS (uninterruptible power supply) would be in order then, yes?
sparticus
Helmsman

44872 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Blue wrote:
sparticus wrote:
Mr. Blue wrote:
So could be I was mistaken and Eu3 is real life? Does that mean RL is a simulation?

And as such - we all disappear when the power goes off.

Ah, a UPS (uninterruptible power supply) would be in order then, yes?

Quite So...
Mr. Blue
Rigger

68709 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done, wombats! You earned 8 million for your mother country. Just make sure you get paid in money, not in apochryphal floating pies.

http://buzz.yahoo.com/buzzlog/94024?fp=1
sparticus
Helmsman

44872 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Blue wrote:
Well done, wombats! You earned 8 million for your mother country. Just make sure you get paid in money, not in apochryphal floating pies.

http://buzz.yahoo.com/buzzlog/94024?fp=1

A wombat is like a young man,

Eats Root's and Leaves
Mr. Blue
Rigger

68709 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't get that joke for ages, because I didn't know what the word "root" means in Australian slang. In American slang it means to be an enthusiastic supporter of your favorite sports teams. I can imagine the confusion when an American in Australia says "I root for the Eagles."
sparticus
Helmsman

44872 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Blue wrote:
I didn't get that joke for ages, because I didn't know what the word "root" means in Australian slang. In American slang it means to be an enthusiastic supporter of your favorite sports teams. I can imagine the confusion when an American in Australia says "I root for the Eagles."

7 year's to get it - not bad Smile.

Yes slang can make a big difference.

" Pigs arse it does "- another Australian one.

See if you can find out the Australian version of that - you have until 2024 Smile
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, based on your post I used a search engine to look up what Root means in Australian slang and was surprised like you!
Just don't go to Australia and ask where your fanny pack is!!!
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Words Americans should avoid saying to Australasians

from Robert P. O'Shea

The spread of the Internet provides opportunities to offend or confuse correspondents whom you imagine speak the same dialect of English as you. This is to alert Americans to innocent words from their dialect that Australasians (Australians and New Zealanders) may find offensive or confusing. For a list of words Americans may find offensive, see my American-Australian Slang Dictionary.

You are, however, less likely to offend or confuse Australasians than you might think. Australians in particular are pretty hard to offend even at the best of times. And because of the universal spread of American language (mainly via TV), Australasians may consider your linguistic origin and know what you mean.

This list is maintained by Robert P. O'Shea. If you find any errors or omissions, or if you have any comments, please send e-mail to roshea you know what scu.edu.au.

bugger (American slang) Someone who is mildly but persistently annoying. This term has various meanings for Australasians, however, the most offensive of which is to refer to someone who engages in sodomy, which is not usually even discussed, much less practised, in polite company. Less offensive meanings include referring, sometimes affectionately, to someone who is a fool (``silly old bugger''), using it as an exclamation, and using the word for the act to describe a serious pain (``hurts like buggary'').

bum A low person, a tramp, a panhandler. An Australasian may think you are referring to pair of buttocks.

fanny. (American slang) Buttocks. Fanny is an extremely offensive Australasian slang term for the female genitalia, so announcing to an Australasian that you ``patted your friend on the fanny'' can can leave him or her with decidedly the wrong impression. The word you are searching for is bum. The Australasian meaning of fanny is for some, however, being pushed into oblivion by the repetition of this innocuous American word in the theme song for the sitcom, The Nanny. The preferred Australasian term for fanny pack is bum bag.

freeze . (American slang) To anesthetize locally. If an Australasian suffered a wound, and you told him or her that you were going to freeze it before stitching it, he or she begin to have serious doubts about the quality of North-American health care.

go to the bathroom (American slang) To urinate or defecate. If you ask an Australasian for the location of the bathroom, you are just as liable to be shown a room containing only a bath. The word you are searching for is toilet.

luck out
(American slang) To have good fortune. To Australasians, and particularly to New Zealanders, this means just the opposite. The equivalent Australasian term may be luck in.

mince [meat]
Stew made from dried fruits such as currants, saltanas, and raisins. Australasians understand mince to be ground beef, or hamburger. A New Zealand mince pie, one of the major food groups in that country, will give you a very different taste sensation from what you are expecting. Australians don't really refer to a basic meat pie as a mince pie, but as a ``hob'oi''. One of Australia's national dishes, however, is mince on toast. But I digress. The Australasian term for a mince pie is fruit tart.

napkin Cloth or paper towel to protect the clothes while eating. Australasians refer to napkins as serviettes. Saying ``napkin'' may make Australasians think of a sanitary napkin, which is used to absorb menstrual blood.

Randy Abbreviation of the name Randolph. If you introduce someone to an Australasian as Randy, he or she will think that person wants to have sex. For example, if you say ``Hi, I'm Randy'', don't be surprised if your correspondent suggests you have a cold shower.

root
1. To cheer for a sports team. Root is an offensive Australian slang verb meaning ``have sexual intercourse with''. Announcing to an Australian that you ``are a cheerleader, so you don't see many football games because you are in the stands rooting'' will give a misleading impression about your devotion to the team. 2. To grow roots. ``I rooted some plants'' is practised by vegiphiles in Australia. 3. To dig or rummage. ``I was rooting around in my room for the rent money'' is done only if an Australian does not actually have the rent money.
n. An Australian may take the noun to refer to his or her sexual partner. Even so, saying ``I tripped over a root'' will occasion only the tiniest frisson of delight in your Australian correspondent; he or she will understand.

varsity Referring to senior sports teams in schools, universities, and clubs. An Australasian, and particularly a New Zealander, may think you are referring to a university.

wet back An illegal immigrant into the US from Mexico. A New Zealander may think you are referring to an enclosed, wood- or coal-burning fire containing a connection to a house's hot water cylinder (although I admit the context would surely make this mistake unlikely).
Mr. Blue
Rigger

68709 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparticus wrote:

See if you can find out the Australian version of that - you have until 2024 Smile

Pig's arse its going to take me that long. Not with my pal google helping me.
sparticus
Helmsman

44872 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salty Dog wrote:
OK, based on your post I used a search engine to look up what Root means in Australian slang and was surprised like you!
Just don't go to Australia and ask where your fanny pack is!!!

Or - never ask to see your box.
sparticus
Helmsman

44872 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Blue wrote:
sparticus wrote:

Pig's arse its going to take me that long. Not with my pal google helping me.

Well put - you must have have searched like " a Blue Arsed Fly" when researching - but the context is 100%.
Rusty Edge
Rigger

2992 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to think that Google translate should consider the continent- Spanish in Spain vs. South America vs. Mexico, as examples.
sparticus
Helmsman

44872 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rusty Edge wrote:
I tend to think that Google translate should consider the continent- Spanish in Spain vs. South America vs. Mexico, as examples.

It would take a very good programmer to do that - but a good idea though...
Rusty Edge
Rigger

2992 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a virtual friend in Peru, and I used to polish his English translations.

Using Google translate backwards and forwards, I usually managed to sort things out eventually, but sometimes I had to ask what he was writing about because it made no sense. The differences in English and Spanish around the world were one of the sources of trouble/ shortcoming of Google Translate.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: