Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Retirement Jobs: Original vs. New Game
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Hints and strategies Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CAPTAINcredible
Seaman

1136 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 2:32 am    Post subject: Retirement Jobs: Original vs. New Game Reply with quote

Here's a cool page of the Pirates! Wiki that shows all the retirement jobs from the original game. I had forgotten there were some that didn't make it into the new version. There's five more retirement jobs overall in the original. It appears there's also a few in the new game that weren't in the original, like butler.

http://sidmeierspirates.wikia.com/wiki/Retirement_Job

Get your own fleet/inventory banner!
sparticus
Helmsman

44872 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 2:59 am    Post subject: Re: Retirement Jobs: Original vs. New Game Reply with quote

CAPTAINcredible wrote:
Here's a cool page of the Pirates! Wiki that shows all the retirement jobs from the original game. I had forgotten there were some that didn't make it into the new version. There's five more retirement jobs overall in the original. It appears there's also a few in the new game that weren't in the original, like butler.

http://sidmeierspirates.wikia.com/wiki/Retirement_Job

Strange that Mortician is so far down the list - Everyone is Dieing to see you Smile
CAPTAINcredible
Seaman

1136 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah and in the new game butler seems like it's higher than it should be. Look at the picture, he looks so sad an subservient. Crying or Very sad

Roland
Helmsman

22541 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Spart - the mortician should be higher on the list.

The parson gets the best-looking threads. Maybe they were a gift from his bishop, who is a successful retired pirate!
sparticus
Helmsman

44872 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roland wrote:
I agree with Spart - the mortician should be higher on the list.

The parson gets the best-looking threads. Maybe they were a gift from his bishop, who is a successful retired pirate!

Not Often Lately someone agree's with me - I might Frame this response Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
CAPTAINcredible
Seaman

1136 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonder why they left out King's Advisor, General, Wealthy Merchants, etc. in the new game.

MongSpirit
Powder Monkey

499 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CAPTAINcredible wrote:
Wonder why they left out King's Advisor, General, Wealthy Merchants, etc. in the new game.

Perhaps it was just too much of a stretch? Question

After all, if you think about it I don't think any of the Kings of Europe would have necessarily wanted a rough, wild, and unpredictable ex-killer roaming around freely within their offices. Maybe they figured it was better to put the successful ones into positions far out in the colonies where they couldn't do any harm. Smile

In my opinion, I think the 'Merchant' job should be a bit higher up the list in the new game. The way they depict it on the retirement screen, well, kind of makes you feel mediocre...
Roland
Helmsman

22541 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MongSpirit wrote:
After all, if you think about it I don't think any of the Kings of Europe would have necessarily wanted a rough, wild, and unpredictable ex-killer roaming around freely within their offices.

What about Sir Francis Drake? He was a successful privateer - and regarded as a pirate by the Spanish. Yet he was a favorite of Queen Elizabeth.
MongSpirit
Powder Monkey

499 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roland wrote:

What about Sir Francis Drake? He was a successful privateer - and regarded as a pirate by the Spanish. Yet he was a favorite of Queen Elizabeth.

Can't argue with that. I guess I was using it more in the context of, for example, a French character retiring to Port Royal, and becoming the King's Adviser or some such...
Black Falcon
Swabbie

375 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! How'd I miss this topic? Well anyway-

I have too noticed lots of jobs missing. Though some of these "jobs" I used to call "fates". Like if my guy did horrible, I said "His fate was to be a rogue" (87 version).

In the new one, I noticed that there's only 2 (horrible) fates-

I must admit the "pauper" kinda funny, because of the little mouse with the sign (showing a wedge of cheese). Times must REALLY be tough if a mouse has to beg on the street corner. Still, it's kinda cute as well...

The "pickpocket" makes him look like a zombie from Left 4 Dead! It's kinda creepy! Evil or Very Mad Brraaainnnsss!

How would you even get through the entire game (well, to retirement age) without scoring at least 1 point? Is it even possible? Looks like I- or should I say "Dingo Dan" (I don't use "Seymour" for tests) has an experiment to do. Try and make it to retirement with NO points. Can Dingo Dan do it...?
Roland
Helmsman

22541 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black Falcon wrote:
How would you even get through the entire game (well, to retirement age) without scoring at least 1 point? Is it even possible? Looks like I- or should I say "Dingo Dan" (I don't use "Seymour" for tests) has an experiment to do. Try and make it to retirement with NO points. Can Dingo Dan do it...?

When I started composing this response I said no, but now I'm not so sure.

You would have to refrain from ever visiting a governor, as it is nearly impossible to avoid scoring favor points. If you see a vessel transporting a new governor and the governor arrives safely at his assigned post, you will have scored a favor point with his nation. If you intercept him you will have scored a favor point with his nation's enemies. It's a no-lose scenario! So even if you never attack a vessel, you could rack up enough points to score a promotion (especially with Spain) pretty easily.

You would also have to decline everything that involves maps, since completing a map scores you a point.

The final challenge would be retirement itself. Even if you have 0 points when you divide the plunder, the captain's share of your residual wealth will be converted into fame points. You will have had to accumulate wealth to keep your crew from mutinying up to that point. How do you dispose of your accumulated wealth quickly right before you retire?

Perhaps you would need to divide the plunder many times, always making sure that you can spend your remaining gold with the merchant, shipwright, and stranger right before you divide the plunder. If you want to pay the maximum price for an item, go to a wealthy city with a large population.
Black Falcon
Swabbie

375 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roland wrote:

The final challenge would be retirement itself. Even if you have 0 points when you divide the plunder, the captain's share of your residual wealth will be converted into fame points. You will have had to accumulate wealth to keep your crew from mutinying up to that point. How do you dispose of your accumulated wealth quickly right before you retire?

I (honestly) thought about having my ship "shot out from under me", so I'm washed ashore with no gold or greedy, mutinous crewmembers. I'm kind of stumped on who to pick a fight with so I don't get credit for it. Lost This would obviously mean no Blackbeard, Captain Kidd, or other big name pirates, but I was wondering if the general (un-named) pirates would work...
Roland
Helmsman

22541 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black Falcon wrote:
I (honestly) thought about having my ship "shot out from under me", so I'm washed ashore with no gold or greedy, mutinous crewmembers. I'm kind of stumped on who to pick a fight with so I don't get credit for it. Lost This would obviously mean no Blackbeard, Captain Kidd, or other big name pirates, but I was wondering if the general (un-named) pirates would work...

That might work. As long as you lose, I don't think you can get credit for it. Therefore, it doesn't matter whom you choose to fight, as long as you are sure you can lose.
Black Falcon
Swabbie

375 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe run over the reef so the hull has 90% damage and go fight. It might take them 2 or 3 shots to sink me... ? Exploding

I think Dingo Dan is going for a swim. Laughing

If I recall right, when you're pick up, the new ship and crew comes with 1000 (I think) gold pieces. Is there a way around this? Again, it's numbers giving me trouble. It might be just 600 gold pieces. My memory's bad (especially with numbers)! Lost

The only way I can think of (where there's absolutely 0 gold when you do the plunder) would be if the ship gets 2 new upgrades (500 each- if 1000).
Roland
Helmsman

22541 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black Falcon wrote:
Maybe run over the reef so the hull has 90% damage and go fight. It might take them 2 or 3 shots to sink me... ? Exploding

I think Dingo Dan is going for a swim. Laughing

I think you could also board and lose the swordfight - as long as you don't have a second vessel to come to the rescue.

Black Falcon wrote:
If I recall right, when you're pick up, the new ship and crew comes with 1000 (I think) gold pieces. Is there a way around this? Again, it's numbers giving me trouble. It might be just 600 gold pieces. My memory's bad (especially with numbers)! Lost

The only way I can think of (where there's absolutely 0 gold when you do the plunder) would be if the ship gets 2 new upgrades (500 each- if 1000).

You could go to Santiago or Havana and buy 20-30 tons of spice. Any remaining gold could be spent on goods or food, leaving you with no more than 7.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Hints and strategies All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: