Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Welcome to New Orleans
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Customization & Modding Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jlangsdo
Cutthroat

10932 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 1:57 pm    Post subject: Welcome to New Orleans Reply with quote

I CAN MOVE CITIES!!!

Here is a savegame from a freshly started game (1680, Fencing, near Port Royale), with New Orleans added as a fully functional French city.

slot4.pirates_savegame

(It’s actually Coro, as some of the built-in text reveals, made visible and relocated. I located it as I could to the real New Orleans location, while still being able to get there by boat, just barely. The Mississippi channel is very hard to navigate, you may prefer to anchor and march across the bayou.

CAPTAINcredible
Seaman

1100 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's awesome jlangsdo, well done! I may have to dig up my PC version of Pirates! to try this out. Any ideas for other ports to move?

Get your own fleet/inventory banner!
Roland
Helmsman

22541 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you turned Coro French, that must mean that cities' nationalities in general are moddable . . .
CAPTAINcredible
Seaman

1100 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or perhaps he changed it in game through a conquest?

jlangsdo
Cutthroat

10932 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was really excited about adding a city because there are several Mod threads that mention wishing to add New Orleans (particularly the very ambitious "Mod idea... The Napoleonic/War of 1812 Era").

As far a I know, no one has ever moved a city before...
themodelcitizen
Gunner

14635 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about Paramaribo? It can be Dutch and just shuffled into the extreme southeast of the playable area. I'd also suggest Georgetown (Guyana, English) but it came a little later.
CAPTAINcredible
Seaman

1100 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

themodelcitizen wrote:
How about Paramaribo? It can be Dutch and just shuffled into the extreme southeast of the playable area. I'd also suggest Georgetown (Guyana, English) but it came a little later.

I Like it!

jlangsdo
Cutthroat

10932 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paramaribo is a bit out of bounds:

The furthest SE I can get is:

But, if you want to mess around, here's what you would do using my savegame editor to repurpose Gibraltar as Paramaribo, with attributes borrowed from St. Martin, located about as far SE as I could put it:

pirates_savegame_editor.pl -unpack slot4
echo "MarchingMap_435_24 : F1 : 0c " >> slot4.pst
echo "SailingMap_435_24 : F1 : 01 " >> slot4.pst
pirates_savegame_editor.pl -splice City_10,CityInfo_10 -clone City_39,CityInfo_39 -in slot4 -out slot4
pirates_savegame_editor.pl -set Paramaribo,435,24,435,24 -splice CityName_10,City_10_0,City_10_1,CityLoc_10_0,CityLoc_10_1 -in slot4 -out slot4

And Presto! there it is:

themodelcitizen
Gunner

14635 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's incredible... thanks jlangsdo. will play around with this next week.
The Aberdonian
Cutthroat

9958 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roland wrote:
If you turned Coro French, that must mean that cities' nationalities in general are moddable . . .

Does that apply to the city status as well ? From what I read jlangsdo could move towns but not create towns. If you could move a few of the small villages and turn them into real functional towns (i.e. one with governor daughters etc) these would not be missed. I'd like the idea of adding a few towns but I do not like the idea of loosing Coro or Gibraltar for that.
jlangsdo
Cutthroat

10932 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was pretty sure that The Aberdonian's idea couldn't possibly work, but I decided to give it a try.

I took a settlement and copied onto it as many attributes as I could from a city: City, CityInfo, and CityLoc, then copying back in the original settlement location from the first 2 lines of CityInfo and CityLoc.

Then I loaded up the game and sailed in. And to my amazement, there was a governor there, not a mayor - one who could grant a promotion, and with a daughter who knew how to dance!

However, the upgraded settlement isn't a real city. It doesn't show up as a city on the big map (it is visible only if zoomed in, cannot be clicked on to show details). I could not attack it, even marching in on land. It also doesn't look like a city up close (though that could be due to low population).

It's possible that there are more bytes that could be swapped that will change that somewhere else in the savegame file. I'll keep an eye open; there are still swaths of the file I don't understand. But my suspicion is that there are only 44 real city slots.

There are 3 unusual slots between the cities and the settlements - Florida Channel, Europe, and Europe, which are used for directing the Treasure Fleet. It may be that they could be converted into cities... but I'm worried about messing up the Treasure Fleet. It would be silly if after Havana the fleet sailed somewhere on the other side of the map (to a relocated and renamed Florida Channel) before heading for Saint Augustine. Or if the treasure fleet started or finished in some random location.
jlangsdo
Cutthroat

10932 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, it can look like a city when sailing/marching, I was wrong.

Turns out it is very simple to make the Mayor into a Governor; just change the Type (City_.*_6) of any settlement from 7 down to 0,1,2, or 3, and it becomes a semi-city.
CAPTAINcredible
Seaman

1100 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's great, very well done!

I suppose you could move Europe to Florida so that the Treasure Fleet isn't going in the complete wrong direction but of course then it wouldn't sail in the direction of Europe after that..

Nomad
Powder Monkey

352 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting.Did you modify game files or a savegame?
jlangsdo
Cutthroat

10932 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of my tricks are modifying the savegame file... so far.

I haven't figured out how to modify the game at all yet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Customization & Modding All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: