Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

To Old to Marry?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Hints and strategies Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
parksbanyon
Gunner

13127 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: To Old to Marry? Reply with quote

The last game set I played I used the invincible easter egg (your first sea battle you are invincible) to capture H Morgans large frigate, then aquired an interceptor ( a mod I made to the mail runner- look in mods section) and then immediately hunted down raymondo to spawn Montalban then straight on to beat him in his fort. this was done at the journeyman level within the first 24 months. At this point I began to leisurely hunt down treasure, named and unamed pirates, and capture all the cities with beautiful daughters and make them dutch and redistributing the plain and attractive GD cities to the other factions. I had one in the romance column and wooed her with rings and diamonds AND THEN lost the battle with the amour. This happened several times! I retired at 50 still able to hold my own in any sword fight EXCEPT againest a jealous suiter. Anyone know the magic age this happens?
jlangsdo
Cutthroat

10932 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old posts mention that the suitor is the hardest opponent in the game, which has never seemed to be the case for me. Perhaps you have stumbled on the reason why. Excellent!

The way to test this would be by editing savegame files - set yourself up for the same duel at different ages with all of the items, and see if there is a sharp division somewhere where it goes from doable to impossible.
Rusty Edge
Rigger

2992 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would speculate that it's a function of the aging and slowing formula, and that if Montalban were around at age 50, you couldn't beat him either.
Roland
Helmsman

22541 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never noticed this problem with jealous fiances. But once I get past a certain age at Swash I can't beat the English captain of the guard.
sparticus
Helmsman

44872 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roland wrote:
I have never noticed this problem with jealous fiances. But once I get past a certain age at Swash I can't beat the English captain of the guard.

Smile Not just unique to the game I'm afraid Smile
Rusty Edge
Rigger

2992 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roland wrote:

I most often have trouble with that English captain of the guard as I age, myself.

Not that I have fun trying to play Swashbuckler. Not that I fence well enough to choose other skills and still fence my way to success.

I think the most important lesson that this game teaches is about aging and getting slower.
Old guys should be avoiding fights, and using their heads to find treasures and getting rich.

Well, that and beautiful women are high maintenance, and can get you into fights.
Roland
Helmsman

22541 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rusty Edge wrote:
Old guys should be avoiding fights, and using their heads to find treasures and getting rich.

Unfortunately, if you want to talk to the barmaid or the barkeeper, you have to get rid of the CoG. Patience doesn't work - he will be there every time you visit the tavern until you beat him in a fight.

My solution was to sack the town, install a French governor, and defeat the new French CoG!
Rusty Edge
Rigger

2992 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like using your wits! Thumbs Up

Unless the captain of the guard and 60 men block your path... Shocked Duelling
jlangsdo
Cutthroat

10932 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I think "Too old to marry" is a myth.

I started with the Fencing Academy 2 game "Adventurer_Age_Items" ... at age 41, I was able to defeat the suitor.

I then edited the game, changing e_23_7 to larger numbers to set my age to 63 and then 109. Each time I was able to defeat the suitor.

Admittedly, that was on only Adventurer level, but it doesn't seem like the game has a particular cut off age for marriage.

According to some of the old threads on this site, your health actually stabilizes at failing at some point, you don't continue to get slower and slower, but I don't know how to prove that.
Rusty Edge
Rigger

2992 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the Caribbean. I'll christen the point where no amount of harm to your health will slow you down "The Zombie Point" .

If I ever reach it before I retire, I shall know I caught it from Raymondo, who keeps coming back no matter what. Wink
Roland
Helmsman

22541 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rusty Edge wrote:
If I ever reach it before I retire, I shall know I caught it from Raymondo, who keeps coming back no matter what.

Raymondo will stop bothering you once you have enlisted his master Montalban as your cabin boy!
Rusty Edge
Rigger

2992 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roland wrote:

Raymondo will stop bothering you once you have enlisted his master Montalban as your cabin boy!

I guess you're right, ( actually, I'm sure you are because you always seem to know ), I don't think I ever made the connection, but I guess it's true according to my memory.

So if I track down Montalban's lair before I find my grandfather, how do I rescue the rest of my family? I forget.

The mysterious stranger?
My wife?
Roland
Helmsman

22541 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rusty Edge wrote:
I guess you're right, ( actually, I'm sure you are because you always seem to know ), I don't think I ever made the connection, but I guess it's true according to my memory.

So if I track down Montalban's lair before I find my grandfather, how do I rescue the rest of my family? I forget.

The mysterious stranger?
My wife?

*blush* In this instance, I am not right. I guess it has been too many months since I have actually inserted disk 2 in my hard drive. Raymondo will continue appearing until you rescue all your family members.

Your wife will give you a piece of a lost city map for a perfect dance after you have retired Montalban.

Last edited by Roland on Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
parksbanyon
Gunner

13127 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:20 pm    Post subject: repky to rolands last comment Reply with quote

Actaully the last game I played I set off to beat Montie in his liar ASAP. I had to beat Raymondo 2 times to locate the sister to spawn Montie, found the liar on the first go and beat him (23months total time), Raymondo keeps on coming till the family is complete, they start giving pieces of the lost city maps.
Rusty Edge
Rigger

2992 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:00 am    Post subject: Re: repky to rolands last comment Reply with quote

parksbanyon wrote:
Actaully the last game I played I set off to beat Montie in his liar ASAP. I had to beat Raymondo 2 times to locate the sister to spawn Montie, found the liar on the first go and beat him (23months total time), Raymondo keeps on coming till the family is complete, they start giving pieces of the lost city maps.

If you defeated Monty in 23 months, I am impressed! Thumbs Up Arr!

If you're calling Montie "the liar", I would argue that Raymondo is the biggest liar in the game. He is often handing out pieces of parchment with nothing but ocean on them, and telling me how this map will aid me in my quest to recover my lost family. Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Hints and strategies All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: