Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

NIF creation 101
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Customization & Modding Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
parksbanyon
Gunner

13127 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:11 pm    Post subject: barmaid2bartender Reply with quote

Tried the same thing with same result. You can shorten the length of the facial bones so the travel is less and it "should" take care of the distortion.
fleetp
Boatswain

36090 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: clarifiation Reply with quote

parksbanyon wrote:
Yeah you change the name to barmaid.nif. I went ahead and uploaded the texture file : https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3742149/katarina_n.dds

if you go to the 2nd link you can download all the original files in .obj format without a skeleton. the one with diffuse in the name is the "normal" texture.

Fleetp what version of blender do you use? And do you directly export "it" as a nif from blender?I'm going to give it a try. This may be a 3ds issue.

I use Blender 2.49b, and I export files in nif format from Blender.
parksbanyon
Gunner

13127 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:35 am    Post subject: got it Reply with quote

have the complete blender 2.49 package for winblows: blender, python, scripts, plugin. Haing a hard time navigating it tho used 2 3ds max. Hopefully this will solve the issues.

In an above post you said you did not know about the bipeds etc. so that tells me blender can generate needed objects. Also the bone structure was...unique. somehow you have the bones to both the vanilla chief and barmaid merged and functional. Plus I noticed a couple of additional bones maybe dogcigar, adammil, or llangsdo can shed some light on this but I was fairly certain going thru the game code it knew what bones to expect. I was very surprised then when your native barmaid worked.

In theory at a minimum we should be able to: import a vanilla object, make a completely new weighted uv'd mesh with texture, export it, and take only the Nitrishape data/Niskininstantce/and Nitexturing property and replace it in the vanilla target mesh and it should work. So far except for the sword this has not been the case. Your native barmaid suggests that alterations to the skeleton are even possible.
parksbanyon
Gunner

13127 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:35 pm    Post subject: almost there Reply with quote

verified that removing bones is possible.

Fleet by any chance have you imported the files above into blender? I'm 90 per cent sure at this point this is a 3dsmax-nifskope plugin problem with keeping the weighting. Still have not got an even basic handle on blender.
fleetp
Boatswain

36090 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:45 am    Post subject: Re: almost there Reply with quote

parksbanyon wrote:
verified that removing bones is possible.

Fleet by any chance have you imported the files above into blender? I'm 90 per cent sure at this point this is a 3dsmax-nifskope plugin problem with keeping the weighting. Still have not got an even basic handle on blender.

I imported barmaid into blender just to see if it would import. It did, but I didn't do anything beyond that.
loki59.001
Powder Monkey

92 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:03 am    Post subject: Re: contined Reply with quote

parksbanyon wrote:
Just realized that an extensive post on swords was posted years ago : Loki59 "Mods to swords".

To start with, there are:
26 sword .dds files
17 sword .nif files
Plus a few others for the Governors as described below.
Your player_character uses three sets of three swords during the game. The first level of three are:
crew_swor_02.nif first rapier
crew_swor_01.nif first longsword
swor_4_sabr_2.nif first cutlass
The second set of three you recieve after getting the first set of balanced swords, either purchasing from mysterious traveler in the tavern, gaining through dancing as a gift from the Governors daughter or from a wanted criminal in lieu of the reward for his capture. This second level of three are:
pc_swor_2.nif second rapier
crew_swor_04.nif second longsword
swor_4_sabr_2.nif second cutlass
After getting the second set of balanced swords, you get your third level of three swords, these are:
pc_swor_3.nif third rapier
crew_swor_05.nif third longsword
swor_2_saber.nif third cutlass
The Captains of the Guard use four different swords, these are:
crew_swor_01.nif Spa Capt. of the Grd. longsword
crew_swor_02.nif Eng Capt. of the Grd. rapier
crew_swor_03.nif Fre Capt. of the Grd. longsword
crew_swor_04.nif Dut Capt. of the Grd. longsword
Your shipboard Crew uses mainly:
crew_cutlass.nif
The Wanted Villians also use:
crew_cutlass.nif
The Evil Villians, Montalban uses:
pc_swor_3.nif
Mendoza uses:
crew_cutlass.nif
Raymondo uses:
crew_cutlass.nif
The Military and Merchant Captains aboard thier ships use a variety of swords so any changes you make for a sword for one character will likely affect these characters as well. A simple change to cutlass_01.dds will change many swords throughout the game.
Last to mention are the Governors. The English Gov. uses a conventional sword whereas the others use a sword hidden in the staff they are holding.

As you can see above if you only want yourself to have have your custom swords it would only be possible at level 2 and 3 replacing the rapier.
Yeah, brings back memories. Smile I made 2 swords that I think are still in the Mods forum. One, a katana, the other, the Dawg Brown sword from Cutlass Isle movie.

Gunner

13127 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:26 am    Post subject: The Ancients have returned Reply with quote

By Gawd's mate! Didn't think you still read the boards anymore. Thanks for your posts really helped with making the swords.
parksbanyon
Gunner

13127 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:04 pm    Post subject: ship creation 101 Reply with quote

https://db.tt/88K1HcCj or https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3742149/subs.png is the link to the pinnace class made into a sail sub. Untextured only basic object mesh. I removed all the objects not related to the sails. Working on a different submarine layout including a junk/spiney type sail. At this point I want to verify what determines the boundary box, collision box parameters and what makes 1 object harder than another (also including the representation of physical weight).

In the case of the ship models it is similar in principal to basic objects (swords, vase's, staff's, etc) in that they do not require "skinning". They take there weight from a single bone. The EXCEPTION to this is the flags and sails... They are skinned.

A ship type i.e. war canoe, pinnace, and mail runner are all the same class and same NIF. in the exe is the number's that determine their size, crew, and cannon.

That being said, there are 4 basic ship NIF's: (example is the sloop series) sloop1, sloop1_furled, sloop1_battle, and sloop1_lowend. What are they? Sloop1 is the basic NIF and the one you would model. sloop1_furled is just the sail portion furled, sloop1_battle is the gunports/cannon/ and crew ondeck NIF. BTW the crew is nothing more than several billboards with dds. files rotating in series to give the movement.

The sloop1_lowend is not the lower half or ship body, it is a low res model. A low res model can do several things:
1. In the characters a lo res is 98% the size of the model mesh with a different shader property and is used as the shadow for the character.
2. A low res can drive the hi res model i.e. bone>low res>hi res.
3. A low res slightly larger than the model can be used as a defined collision box.
What does the sloop1_lowend do? My guess thus far is option 3. I overlaid a Chinese junk hull (which is far wider) over the fast galleon with NO other changes and whenever I got near it to ram, board, or even fire grapeshot, my ship disappeared into the junk. You could clearly see the crew on deck way in the middle of the junk.
fleetp
Boatswain

36090 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neat job on the submarine!
parksbanyon
Gunner

13127 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:13 am    Post subject: update Reply with quote

got a new sub looks like a marlin placed on the tatane frame. Going to see how the animations (new sails) and collsion data work out.
parksbanyon
Gunner

13127 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:12 pm    Post subject: Proa Reply with quote

Considering the legacy of the war canoe, I have made a classic Caribbean proa. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3742149/Proa%20sailing.png. It still needs the ama's and aka's installed but the hull, sail, and rigging are correct. Still havn't got the "glow" effect reduced. Tried gloss, specular, dark underlaying tints, etc. Trial and many errors.
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, that link does not work for me. I'd really like to see the new boat!
fleetp
Boatswain

36090 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shat salty dog said, I got a 404 error when I clicked the link. Crying or Very sad
Rusty Edge
Rigger

2992 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fleetp wrote:
Shat salty dog said, I got a 404 error when I clicked the link. Crying or Very sad

Odd typo, that.
fleetp
Boatswain

36090 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rusty Edge wrote:
fleetp wrote:

Odd typo, that.

Indeed (these old fingers can't type worth a damn anymore).
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Customization & Modding All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: