Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Distorted characters
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheBosnian
Swabbie

1109 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:01 pm    Post subject: Distorted characters Reply with quote

Whenever im in a sword fight/governers office/ tavern/ etc. At least one of the characters looks like chrome or something, maybe it's a problem with intel video cards, but i have tried every graphics level but it hasn't changed.
If someone can tell me how to take a screenshot i can show you how it looks.
Wolfwood
Boatswain

33917 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you get something like that appearing again, hit the print screen button (upper right corner of the keyboard).

Go to a paint program (Paint shop pro or any other one) and select "edit" - "paste" and you'll have your screenshot there.

Save in an appropriate format (jpg).

Upload to a server and attach the link to your next message to the forums.
InchWorm
Powder Monkey

2 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am having the same issue on my Dell with a INTEL 82845G. Here are my screenshots of the issue:

Sen-Dog
Powder Monkey

459 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thats positively creepy, they look undead!
KingWilly
Rigger

9821 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there were other having the same problem in another thread.

But I think it looks great...The Terminator of the seas...Arrr, hasta la vista..

AKA. Will Scarlett.
Wolfwood
Boatswain

33917 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Return of the Mummy... Twisted Evil

Yeah, I think this problem has been discussed before... The solution was to fiddle with the video settings, but if that is not working for you, I don't know what would... Sad

The game doesn't actually crash because of this, does it?
Aegis
Powder Monkey

256 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, and others, have been talking about this issue in the post entitled "Crash at Startup." However, I believe our problem stems from the fact that we are forced to use a third party utility called "3danalyzer" simply to keep the game from crashing. Basically we load the game through the front end of this utility and it emulates the hardware texture and lighting of a graphics card. The outcome is missing and/or metallic textures on a number of the game's characters. I'm curious as to whether or not they both stem from the games ability to display TnL however...
Ruffin
Powder Monkey

451 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:43 pm    Post subject: Get the same thing Reply with quote

I get exactly the same thing, just installed on a spanking new Dell. No 3rd party software. And it's crashing once I leave the first town. Fun, huh? I knew I should have waited for the first patch before I bought it.
BlueDEvil
Seaman

818 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The game didn't crash. I have everything to minimum. There is really nothing else to do, but get a better video card. Minor problem for me.
Ruffin
Powder Monkey

451 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, now I'm crashing as soon as I start. Just noticed that Dutch "emmissary" in the beginning of the game looks T2-ish liquid. That's on top of me looking like the Mummy. That's with all my video settings on low. Can't even figure out what the graphics card is on the new machine.... Integrated Intel Extreme Graphics 2 is what it says, but what is that?
TheBosnian
Swabbie

1109 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its the problem that intel intergrated cards dont have t&l support, or just really suck.
InchWorm
Powder Monkey

2 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheBosnian wrote:
I think its the problem that intel intergrated cards dont have t&l support, or just really suck.

You are correct on both counts, but mainly its the lack of T/L support that causes the T2ish images.

I purchased a NVIDIA GForce card and the T2 look went away and all is now right with the world of Pirates again.
Ruffin
Powder Monkey

451 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GForce 5500... two trips to Best Buy in under two hours (apparently I only have PCI ports. Who knew?). So that's around $750 spent for this silly game so far. New card, game itself, new PC to play it on... just don't tell my wife.

But the graphics work beautifully now. The rats are perfectly rendered as they digitally skitter around my shackled ankles. I used to be good at this game way back when.... Rolling Eyes
Microwavegerbil
Seaman

3502 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ruffin, you got the same shaft from Dell that I did. Seeing as that AGP is standard on practically EVERY modern motherboard you'd logically assume that your Dell Dimension 3000 (I'm assuming) would come with one as well. I was way more shocked than you sound Evil or Very Mad but I had to return that puppy because no AGP just won't work for most of my games.
Ruffin
Powder Monkey

451 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 3:43 pm    Post subject: Dimension 3000 Reply with quote

Yep, a Dimension 3000. Up til now I haven't needed anything more than the old 700 processor I had, no video card either. All I ever play is Civ (I, II, III, PTW, and Conquests) with an occasional foray into Colonization. (See a trend there?) So I never needed it before. I have the hand/eye coordination of a brick, so first-person-shooters and their ilk are pretty much out. If Pirates is this hardware intensive I'd probably have needed a video card for Civ4 whenever it comes out... so it's a good investment on my part. Anyhow - problem solved. For anyone who looks like the Mummy and crashes every five minutes - get a new video card.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Technical Issues All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: