Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

X-COM (UFO) remake!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Other Games Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Capn' Scurvy VonAaaar!!!
Powder Monkey

1810 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:37 pm    Post subject: X-COM (UFO) remake! Reply with quote

How awesome would it be if a studio such as FIRAXIS remade the classic first installment of this series?!?

This game was so phenomenal. It had everything that you could ever want in a strategy/combat game. The base mangement system was simple yet effective, the interception of UFO's was done with style, and the turn based combat was always intense and fun.

The gameplay wouldn't need to be changed at all. Updated graphics would be nice, but they could still keep it rather simple.

Much like PIRATES!, I can't recall how many hours that I spent playing this game.

Who's with me on this?
Falconer
Captain

2865 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wholeheartedly agree. Give us a remake of UFO, we don't want more of those silly attempts like Aftermath. The original gameplay was super, we just want it updated to todays graphics and interface. Smile
KDF
Powder Monkey

106 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I recall correctly X-COM (called "UFO Enemy Unkown" here) was itself a re-make/improvement of the older game "Laser Squad" that I used to have on the Amiga. Laser Squad didnt have the strategic aspects..but was alot of fun..I think they put out a web-based version a couple of years back.
little_cyclone
Swabbie

341 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm X-COM Shocked Without a doubt one of the greatest ways to waste time back in the day.. Maybe if Pirates! does well enough Sid could end up setting a precendent, bringing back and revamping older games... A moder rendition of X-COM (UFO Aftermath was merely futile and dissapointing) would be without a doubt, awesome...

Arrrrrrrrrrrr!
BlueDEvil
Seaman

818 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If would be interesting if they remake the earlier xcom using some ideas from interceptor. It would be fun if you can actually pilot your ship to battle ufos.
dalgo
Swabbie

668 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

XCOM was a really good mix of strategy (building bases, research, manufacture) and turn-based combat. It would be great if a new game could keep those elements and maybe build on the fighter interceptions.
I played it heaps and still have it on the hard drive of my back-up PC (for older games).
Zem
Gunner

3281 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UFO was a great game indeed. But the sequels were disappointing...
I heard there is a 'UFO Aftermath'. Do you know it? Is it good comparing to the old ones?
Tomi
Powder Monkey

368 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's funny, I have both Xcom et UFO (I suppose it's the UFO Aftermath you are talking about) but I have never played them.
Large_Potato
Powder Monkey

333 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

x-com was originally going to be laser squad 2, but the publishers told them to expand it further into a more complete game (laser squad was fun, but had no depth at all)
Avenstar
Swabbie

408 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 4:51 pm    Post subject: The current situation Reply with quote

I have checked periodically through the years on the status of the X-Com series, and currently it's dead. The last project being worked on was X-COM: Genesis, the 4th in the original X-Com line(UFO Defense, TFTD, Apocalypse). That project was killed. Well, either that or all of the developers lost there jobs. Either way, its far from a reality. X-Com: Alliance was another game last in that group of beheadings. The last X-Com game to be released was X-Com: Enforcer.

UFO Aftermath is a game made in the spirit of X-Com, but it is not X-Com, and isn't that good in my opinion. There is a sequel planned.

Some of the developers of Laser Squad and the original X-Com currently have a game called Laser Squad: Nemesis, which will be the combat portion of X-Com online against other players. However, currently you can only do play-by-email games that are arranged and monitored by the game. If they get the internet portion up though, it might be worth checking out if you like turn-based combat.

There has been alot of other X-Com related stuff made. There is a multiplayer version of combat from the original X-Com. There have been numerous attempts at X-Com mods for Halflife and other first-person shooters, combat only of course. I even built an X-Com map for Halflife, complete with orchards, fences, buildings, and crashed UFO. It was an exact duplication of a crash-landing map from the original X-Com.

Overall, X-Com is a great genre. the Turn-based squad combat with base management was great, and I hope that whomever has the rights to the X-Com line will eventually get the ball rolling again. I still ocassionally play Apocalypse. I must be the only person who liked that one. There was just something about blowing the supports of an overhead walkway and watching it fall and crush an alien, or civilian, whichever happen to be standing there. That and the insane destruction you could cause the city simply by trying to shoot down alien craft, especially when your 14 justice missiles miss and slam into the cult of sirius headquarters because the ship vanished through the portal. They didn't really appreciate that. Actually, I think I made up the part about the ship. They just deserved it.
Guidon666
Cutthroat

2854 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was, for a time being, an X-Com game that was going to be released as a 1st person shooter. The one I am talking about was not a conversion of Half-life or doom or such, but a game unto it's own.

When i had initially heard about the release of an X-com game I was pretty excited but wasnt sure what I would think after hearing it would be a FPS. They had, at one time, some of the videos from the game. But I think that is all it came to. Much like Duke Nukem Forever, not sure what happened to it.
Avenstar
Swabbie

408 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guidon666 wrote:
There was, for a time being, an X-Com game that was going to be released as a 1st person shooter. The one I am talking about was not a conversion of Half-life or doom or such, but a game unto it's own.

X-Com Alliance was the FPS. It was cancelled along with X-Com Genesis, the 4th in the original line.
Gamblor_d
Powder Monkey

536 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too very much enjoyed X-COM: UFO defense....

I loved the research part of it and the fact that the more alien stuff you collected the faster it was researched and the faster you could use it on your teams....

I remember loving this game, but not being any good at it...

I could never get enough nations to support my efforts with cash...
headrock
Rigger

354 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

X-com was indeed quite a marvellous game, even though where Turn-Based Tactics are concerned, I still vote for Jagged Alliance.

But seeing where Aftermath went, I think it's clear that another X-com remake can be another devastating blow to the series, and none of us want that. Don't forget that Terror from the Deep was basically a revamp of the first game, and there is very little need to do that again. Heck, I still play X-Com for Windows, and I don't see a reason to remake. Then again, I didn't see any reason to remake Pirates! either. Heh, was I wrong.
ToeJoe
Powder Monkey

1607 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:52 pm    Post subject: A new hope! Reply with quote

Something is cooking at :
http://www.projectxenocide.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Other Games All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: